NGD, sorry, not a Gretsch, not even electric…A Gibson..GASP

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by radd, Jan 13, 2022 at 7:42 PM.

1. afire

afire Country Gent

Gibsons and Martins both can both bark and sparkle, but I prefer the way Gibsons lean a little toward the barky side.

radd likes this.
  2. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    So far I like that it is different in tone from my D-18. I did not want two Dreadnoughts that sounded the same.

It does start a string hunt for me. I have the ones I like for my Martin, I will enjoy trying some different ones and finding the ones I like most for the Gibson.

3. Drifter

Drifter Gretschie

Dec 27, 2012
    Fun City
  4. toddfan

toddfan Country Gent

Mar 12, 2012
    Kansas
    Very nice....congrats!

radd likes this.
  5. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    One of my jug band members has an old J something that looks just like that. It is a fabulous guitar. You done good. I look forward to the time when I finally get to Santa Cruz, we meet (after seeing my granddaughter, of course), and I get to see your instruments and play some music.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022 at 9:53 PM
  6. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    Sounds good. We also have dear friends who have a house in Portland where their daughter and her family lives so we might make it up there someday..

7. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    That would be fine. You are welcome any time.

8. dreamingGretsch

dreamingGretsch Synchromatic

Oct 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    oh man! i didnt see you have a J-45 Standard!! WOW

Hows the sound??!! I would love to hear this live!! I used to love Martins, but these Gibson acoustics, specially the J-45 really took me breathless!

do you have a demo of this somewhere??

I also love the 24.75 scale!!

9. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    No demo…Sorry. It is very different than my Martin D-18. I like that they are not the same. I’m just beginning the search for the “strings”. Ya, another rabbit hole, I’m powerless against its pull :eek:

10. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

You've got a great guitar there - for me, it's the sound of the 60's and the perfect accompaniment for the voice.

I've always respected Martins but never owned one - the J45 and other Gibsons were always more than enough for me.

radd likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.