NGD - something different

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by juks, Mar 4, 2021.

1. juks

juks Country Gent

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    I got an Eastwood Airline H44 used from GC. The Epi LP is in the pic just to show how tiny the H44 is.

[​IMG]

The H44 is a remake of Harmony H44. Or rather H88 as the 44 had only one pick-up. The H44 was originally introduced in 1952 and was used as blues and slide guitar. The originals are claimed to be well sought after by collectors.

Philip Mcknight has an interview with the Eastwoood owner on his YouTube channel. I like this brand. They do re-makes of old guitars and brand new (often quirky) designs that are often crowd funded. They announce the potential new model on their web site and if 24 people put in a down payment, the guitars are built. Jack White's Airline P2 is probably the most recognized of their models (though he seemed to have removed the neck pick-up). Cool stuff.

The neck in the H44 is hilarious. At the 6th fret it soddenly becomes a 1/2 a baseball bat. The picture does not really show how thick it becomes.

[​IMG]

I saw some people complaining on the net how hot the pick-ups are. So I measured them and the bridge is just over 14K and and neck just under. So yeah, hot they are. No problem with me, I like it hot. And the guitar does sound good.

I also noticed that Harmony guitars exists again. They faded away somewhere in the 1970s but the rights to the brand were bought in 2018 and now they are making guitars and amps too. Never come across these new ones but it's another born again old brand, which is cool.

2. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    Tiny is right....

Congrats

3. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Wow that thing is small but seems like a cool thing, congrats.

4. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Cool. I like Eastwood's take on some of the classic designs. Have one of their map guitars myself. Very well made and unique.

5. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
  6. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Congrats, it does indeed look small. Hope you are enjoying it.

7. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Wow! I never knew how tiny they are. Looks like a lap steel compared to the Epi. Hope you're enjoying it!

8. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Very cool, congrats!

We had a shop in Portland a few years ago (since closed) that always kept a few Eastwoods in stock, so I had the chance to test drive a few. Nice guitars, well made. But the necks were always thick as bats with high action.

I never figured out if that was part of their efforts to remain true to the original designs (which often were that way) or just some kind of modern design preference, like they expected you to use it for slide. If I ever find one with a thinner, more Gretsch-like neck and a decent setup, I'd be happy to buy one!

9. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Rock it brother , she's a beauty

10. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Congrats, rock on! What scale are these?

My most recent guitar acquisition was the new Harmony version of this one, the Juno. They really are super tiny.

11. JLD4133

JLD4133 Country Gent

May 10, 2011
    Mequon, WI
    Those are very cool guitars, as evidenced by the fact that Junior Watson has played one of the originals for years.

12. juks

juks Country Gent

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    That's interesting, maybe they ship their guitars with high action? I have the 59 Jr Airline too and on that one you can set the action and previous owner had set it very low with no fret buzz, works well for me. And the neck is very normal. I like this one a lot and then there is the two pick up version as well. If you find one of those at suitable price, I recommend to check it out.

[​IMG]

On the H44 the action is tad higher and can't be adjusted, but I don't find it too high at all.

13. juks

juks Country Gent

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    Here's the specs:
    • Body: Solid ASH
    • Colours: Copper
    • Pickups: Dual Mini Humbucker
    • Switching: 3-Way
    • Controls: 1 Volume, 1 Tone
    • Bridge: Floating Wooden Bridge, Trapeze Tail
    • Neck: Maple, Set Neck
    • Finger Board: Rosewood, Block Markers, 20 Frets
    • Scale Length: 24 3/4"
    • Width at the Nut: 1 11/16"
    • Hardware: Vintage Open Back Tuners
    • Strings: #10-#46 D'Addarrio
    • Unique Features: Vintage Fat Baseball Bat Neck
    The last bullet makes me laugh. Yes, indeed it is!

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  14. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    LMAO! That's awesome. And that's not a joke - it really is listed that way.

I gotta be careful about to their website though... I'll wind up buying something if I spend too much time there ...

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.