NGD & SOME QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by inoshishi, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Welcome to Gretschville, you know how to make an entrance!

inoshishi likes this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Welcome @inoshishi to the forum . Great advice given from all . I especially like what @Randy99CL has to offer . Just another word of advice from me ... I always advise someone new to Gretsch guitars that a Bigsby is really not made for " dive bombing " like that of the Floyd Rose . IMO the Bigsby is made for a more subtle effect . Enjoy and keep us posted

inoshishi and Randy99CL like this.
  3. Back in Black

Back in Black Country Gent

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    in,

First of all welcome...beautiful guitar!

With the guitar being brand new, the strings have yet to wear in the grooves in the vintage Bigsby bridge, likely causing drag/detuning when working the Bigsby.

With a little time and patience, the condition should correct itself.

As far as the nut and the strings ''catching'', you may want to try a slightly smaller string gauge.

Keep us posted.

Best,

BIB.

inoshishi likes this.
  4. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    This one can be made totally tuning-stable. Do not fear. It`s easy.

inoshishi likes this.
  5. Gregor

Gregor Synchromatic

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Welcome to GT @inoshishi. Gorgeous guitar you've got there.
    Heed the advice you're receiving from the experts here and you should be fine. Keep us informed on your progress IYDM. We learn as well from each other.

inoshishi likes this.
  6. inoshishi

inoshishi Electromatic

Jun 1, 2021
    USA
    Thanks everybody! I'm going to play the hell out of this guitar and see if it will settle. I'm really grateful for all the advice and I will follow them as needed and will keep you posted. I'm in love with this guitar and bonding big time with it on Day 2!

7. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    That's great to hear. Guitars like more "play time," and it'll thank you!

Enjoy

8. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    One little thing will help, too: Do not put a lot of windings on your tunerposts. Less windings mean more tuning stability.
    The Bigsby on my 6119 is very able to do that with a set of 010 strings. It`s a matter of optimizing everything.

inoshishi and thunder58 like this.
  9. inoshishi

inoshishi Electromatic

Jun 1, 2021
    USA
    The guitar is sounding fantastic! The neck action is superb. I'm starting to get a stable, smoky, and subtle Bigsby action.
    A couple more photos for you guys.
    IMG_8838.JPG IMG_8842.JPG

Clyde Billt, audept, Archtops and 8 others like this.
  10. sleeperNY

sleeperNY Gretschie

Jun 18, 2008
    central NY
    I have the same guitar and they are great. You made a great choice. I changed the bridge foe a Tru Arch stainless-steel bar and filed the nut down to the strings. It now stays in tune, they were set in way to deep. The guitar now stays in tune with the Bigsby.
    Jim Jim.jpeg

Archtops, JC higgy, new6659 and 3 others like this.
  11. Dan Garder

Dan Garder Electromatic

Oct 29, 2020
    Palm Harbor Florida

12. Dan Garder

Dan Garder Electromatic

Oct 29, 2020
    Palm Harbor Florida
    You nailed It in 2 sentences, string wrap, I use the 1 over and 2 or 3 under method, one of the first things I was ta besides how to tune using harmonics.
    Don't blame the Bigsby too quickly. Next install roller bridge , they should be standard on all guitars with trems, am I right?

13. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I've noticed ,and it may just be the light in the pics,but the western inlays look a lot whiter than they use to be.

My DSW has them aged and the new 55 i saw at my local a few years ago had them aged, just like Jim's geet above,have they changed this recently?

14. Archtops

Archtops Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Welcome to GT inoshishi. Beauty of a guitar!

inoshishi likes this.
  15. inoshishi

inoshishi Electromatic

Jun 1, 2021
    USA
    Just a quick update. The guitar has really settled in. I applied Nut Sauce to the nut and bridge and the tuning has become really stable. I can definitely say that I'm in love with this guitar. It's truly amazing. Thanks again for all your help. IMG_8862.JPG IMG_8868.JPG

new6659 and Henry like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.