NGD & SOME QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by inoshishi, Jun 10, 2021.

1. inoshishi

inoshishi Newbie

Jun 1, 2021
    USA
    I received my very first Gretsch from Sweetwaters today. It's been an exciting day to say the least. I love the tones I'm getting and the neck feels very comfortable for my hand size.
    However, I'm having serious tuning stability issues with the Bigsby as well as just bending strings. The Bigsby throws the tuning completely out. If I bend a string, it definitely catches on the nut. I would really appreciate your advice on this matter.
    Anyway, here are some photos I took today. I think it's a beautiful instrument. IMG_8833.jpg IMG_8834.JPG IMG_8835.JPG

2. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa

Beautiful git.

Is it safe to assume that you removed the foam pad under the bridge?

3. juks

juks Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    I had the same issue but as I used the bigsby a bit more, it disappeared and the guitar stayed in tune. I was told here that I received a 'stiff one' :). Good luck.

inoshishi and MKunie like this.
  4. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Beautiful guitar!
    Give it a chance, have a little patience to let things settle, stretch and fit together.

Stretch the hell out of the strings. Put some pencil lead in the slots in the nut. Work the Bigsby and watch what the bridge does and if strings are hanging up there.

5. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    That is a gorgeous guitar. Hope you sort out the tuning.

inoshishi likes this.
  6. dlew919

dlew919 Synchromatic

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Get it setup properly. It’s pretty cheap and worth it. make sure the nut and saddles are right. If you can’t a guitar tech should be able to.

Also thicker strings will help. 10s or 11s. And as @juks said it will settle in too.

Pics or it didn’t happen.

Bertotti, inoshishi and MKunie like this.
  7. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Yep. Get that nut properly dressed for Bigsby usage. Use at least 10s or more. Stretch those strings out REALLY good. It’ll take a minute. CONGRATS on a simply stellar Gretsch. The full hollow and the Dynas are a wonderful combo……I know full well. :)

8. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    Graphite in the nut slots, assuming it's cut well. Otherwise, have a tech look at the nut.

-m

Waxhead and inoshishi like this.
  9. BrianW

BrianW Country Gent

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    Congrats on the new Gretsch! As suggested, perhaps give it a little time. Most of the tuning issues with the Bigsby can be attributed to the nut. If you are comfortable doing it yourself widening the slots at the peghead side of the nut so the strings aren't going around a sharp corner to the tuning peg can help minimize the strings "catching" at the nut. If you aren't familiar with working on the nut a decent luthier should be able to tell you if the nut is the problem and fix it in minutes.

Just one possibility of course, there could be other causes, but this seems to be one of the most common. Also, I am not a luthier or tech. I am just going by what I have seen here. Others with better qualifications will no doubt chime in :D.

Gregor, inoshishi and sgarnett like this.
  10. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, inoshishi! Some good advice in the posts above.
    welcome mat orange.jpg

inoshishi likes this.
  11. dlew919

dlew919 Synchromatic

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
  12. MKunie

MKunie Synchromatic

Feb 8, 2012
    Vegas,USA
    It is a fantastic guitar and yes get it to a good tech and specify that you need the nut and bridge checked and polished. It worked for mine! Big Bends Nut Sauce on the nut and bridge and you should be good to go

inoshishi likes this.
  13. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    Welcome! Beautiful guitar!

MKunie and inoshishi like this.
  14. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    It just needs a set up, mainly the nut dressed as others have said. Teething issues with new Bigsbys and new owners is very common.

Dress the nut and use a locking string wrap. The locking wrap can be found on YouTube.

Patience, the guitar will be perfect soon.

Congratulations

Dan Garder, Outlaw and inoshishi like this.
  15. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    My first thought too

16. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Congratulations on that beauty!

inoshishi likes this.
  17. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Congrats, that is a fantastic guitar you have there.

inoshishi likes this.
  18. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Hello and welcome to Gretsch-Talk. Great and beautiful guitar you chose as your first Gretsch. Congratulations.
    Lots of good advice above to follow in stabilizing the tuning. Good luck.

inoshishi likes this.
  19. Bob Perrone

Bob Perrone Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    allentown, pa
    Yup, don't go below 11's for string thickness, lube the nut and PLAY it - it will come to you. Also, remove the packing under the bridge!
    If still an issue get a tech to look at it for adjustments, but I don't think that model/build should need it. It's new and a bit stiff which is typical. My Country Gent came to full bloom after just a few days of playing. No adjustments needed, just needed some breathing room.

inoshishi likes this.
  20. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to GT inoshishi!

Congrats on the most beautiful of Gretsches ever made...imo.:cool:

oneforsorrow likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.