NGD - Reverend Reeves Gabrels

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by current, Oct 30, 2010.

1. current

current Electromatic

Mar 17, 2010
    Germany
    Bought it used from a member of a guitar discussion board here in Germany. The dealer price here is about 830 Euro, got it for 500 Euro (plus a case).

Body is made from mahagony (korina) with a maple top. I think the flame maple is only a veneer, have not checked yet. The set neck is maple with an ebony fretboard. It is kind of a "Les Paul goes Tele" hybrid, with the Tele control plate and 25.5" scale length, but then it has got the Les Paul mahagony/maple top and stop tail with tuneomatic brigde.

Note the fourth knob at the top left, that is a "bass contour" knob which allows you to roll the base off - kind of like the usual tone knob, but affecting the lows instead of the highs. The tone knob is can be pulled to put both pickups out-of-phase when the pickup selector switch is in the middle position.

Pickups are a Reverend humbucker in the bridge position and a DiMarzio Fast Track 1 in the neck position. The latter is a single coil size humbucker.

So far I am really impressed with the build quality of this guitar. The finish is really nice, and everythings seems solid. Frets are very well dressed.

Cannot say very much about the factory set up as I bought it used. I have put new strings (09 - 42) and set it up for them. I had to adjust both the truss rod and the bridge - seems it was set up for thicker strings initially.

The neck is a bit slimmer than that of my Gretsch Pro Jet. The neck radius is 12". It is well balanced, even though it has locking tuners, which are probably a bit heavier than ordinary tuners.

So far I have only played it at home, and liked it. I will take it to the band practice on Tuesday, looking forward to trying it there.

Attached Files:

2. sroux

sroux Country Gent

Oct 6, 2008
    Baton Rouge Louisiana
    Those are sweet! Played on last week.
    I have a Reverend Gil Paris, and it's an extremely versatile guitar.
    Congrats!

3. sandiego6120

sandiego6120 Gretschie

Jul 5, 2009
    San Diego
    Now that is a cool looking guitar. Very sweet!!!! Good job...

4. LATS

LATS Country Gent

Jan 3, 2010
    Kanata, Ontario
    Congrats! NGDs are good days! :)

5. current

current Electromatic

Mar 17, 2010
    Germany
    They really are :) Played this guitar for the last two hours non-stop...

6. unknownfan

unknownfan Electromatic

Jul 25, 2010
    tn
    sweetness... revs rule

7. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    Nice lookin guitar, I wished it had a 3x3 tuners rather than the pointy headstock!

8. coolbus18

coolbus18 Country Gent

Feb 27, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Enjoy! They are fine sounding.

9. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Awesome :D congrats current!

10. Mark W

Mark W Country Gent

Jun 6, 2008
    Central Florida
    Nice looking guit!

11. schwank

schwank Electromatic

Oct 4, 2010
    NYC
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.