Join Gretsch-Talk Today

NGD!!! Pro Jet Limited Black/Gold

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by MrWoody, Dec 24, 2016.

1. MrWoody

MrWoody Electromatic

thanks all. I finally was able to use it this past sunday and it was great. I had a little struggle at practice when i kept having to scale the Reinhardt back and the effect that had on the OD characteristics, but sunday was a different story all together! Still gotta get used to that shorter scale length, but it sounded nice a full!

2. englishman

englishman Friend of Fred

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Well, welcome in.

The odds against this being a direct replacement is high I'm afraid. If the post-to post distance is slightly different then you'd not only have to pull the bushings, you'd have to fill the holes and redrill. What's going on with it that you want to dump it?

3. roberty

roberty Newbie

Feb 13, 2017
    London
    Hi, thanks.

I figured the the bridge would be a standard sized far-East tune-o-matic, ie the type used on Epiphones. I don't have another to check with though.

I think the studs are a little loose in the bushings cos they keep slipping down. And there's a bit of a rattle. Thought it might be easier just to sling the TOM+stud assembly and pop in a new one.

I've read some bits and bobs on here about putting various types of gunk on the moving parts?

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. MrWoody

MrWoody Electromatic

Well, it's hard to tell in this picture, but it looks like the gold plating on the pickup cover is coming off where my pinky rests. Same goes for the tops of the saddles of the E-A-D. Boy, that was quick! I did say that worn gold-hardware on a black guitar is my favorite look, so bring it on!

[​IMG]

6. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

That was indeed fast Mr. Woody, but I like the gold hardware too, and we both know it won't look perfect forever. :cool:

ZackyDog likes this.
  7. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    CONGRATS! That's a beaut off a Jet! Nice recording, too! Sounds like you're doing a great job at your church and you should feel proud to get this fantastic gift.
    May it bring you much rockin' happiness.

As for the frets, you might think of having it undergo a nice full setup with a proper fret dressing (unless you can do these things yourself). In my experience, virtually any new guitar will benefit greatly from this.

8. englishman

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Whatever you do, don't use any kind of metal polish, the gold wipes off really easily.

9. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    You,ll have to measure the post spacing c/c and the diameter of the posts. Most sources show this info. There are several different sizes so measure carefully.

10. whitecloud

whitecloud Electromatic

Oct 19, 2009
    Pullman Wa USA
    Concrats. Nice looking guitar. My Pro Jet is pictured on the right of my Avatar. 2008 model with rewound mini-humbuckers, all new electronics and jack. Gonna install a Bigsby at some point. I must of got lucky as it is pretty well put together with no glaring isses

11. MrWoody

MrWoody Electromatic

so, i'm not gonna lie: i've been a strat guy for a LONG time now, but this guitar......it may have changed my mind!
    It doesn't help that i haven't touched my strat since, like, october or november.
    It also helps that i got new compressor, eq, AND OD pedals in the past couple of weeks :)

Henry likes this.
  12. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Haven't touched your Strat in months? Ohhhhh, say it ain't so Mr. Woody! :D

I can sure understand how that Pro Jet has your full attention.

Oh, and BTW, I have been a Strat guy for quite a while, too. I first thought of my 5420 as a niche guitar, but it has certainly changed my thinking.

MrWoody likes this.
  13. MrWoody

MrWoody Electromatic

yeah, even before the gretsch, i used my Danelectro (56-U2) for a few sundays and started getting more compliments on the sound and much fuller it was (using the 2 pickups together). So i stopped using my strat and started looking for something with a little more body. I never could get along with LP type guitars because they were so dark.

This Gretsch is that perfect balance, tonally. The neck pickup even sounds like a strat at times, but it's full and bright enough that i've been using ONLY the neck pickup for the last 2 sundays!

14. MrWoody

MrWoody Electromatic

Ok, i feel like i finally have everything sorted. Recently picked up the Compressor and EQ, then the week after broke down and bought the Rockett 45. The 45 is THAT sound i've been trying to find for quite some time, so I'm feeling pretty set with this sound. The 45 lets my Princeton sound pretty close to my Reinhardt, and it makes my Reinhardt sound even more amazing!

So: Gretsch Pro Jet> Tuner> OB.1 Compressor> BluesBreaker> Soul Food> MXR 10-band EQ> Rockett 45> El Cap> Seraphim> Reinhardt MI-6 or Princeton Reverb
    [​IMG]

15. MrWoody

MrWoody Electromatic

First time playing-but-not-leading in a LONG time. This was super fun, but it also served as a reminder that i really don't know what to play when i'm not leading....
    [​IMG]

16. toddfan

toddfan Gretschie

Mar 12, 2012
    Kansas
  17. englishman

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Chords?

18. MrWoody

MrWoody Electromatic

yeah, i mean, i can play chords, but i end up stepping on the toes of the person leading and also playing chords. I can use a capo and play different chords, but I don't know how to not take the "main" rhythm part. BUT i was able to pull in some "lead/rhythm" stuff on sunday, but i really gotta learn how to play rhythm that isn't just using full "cowboy chords" and a capo lol

19. Fjrabon

Fjrabon Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    Atlanta
    The new jets are a bit woodier sounding because they have a *lot* of chambering. Played acoustically my Jet is closer to a 335 unplugged than a les paul in volume. Obviously nothing like a 5620. But to me a good compromise. Also feeds back about halfway between a les paul and 335 when ran at high gain, which is just right for me. Enough to use it easily as an effect, but never out of control.

20. MrWoody

MrWoody Electromatic

yeah, just found this image supposedly of a duo jet, so if it's anything similar, i could see it being more of a hollow-body sound
    [​IMG]

21. Fjrabon

Fjrabon Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    Atlanta
    Yeah, based on when mine was opened up last week to fix the wiring issue, that looks like the same cavity routing from what you can tell by just opening the back wiring panels.

Basically an ES335 with a slightly thicker top and no f-holes.

These are billed as the gretsch take on a solid body and that's not really true. This isn't like a weight relief Les Paul with a few chunks here and there pulled out.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017