NGD - Player strat, Tidepool

GlenP

Country Gent
Jul 23, 2019
WA
23FD7303-295E-448A-8C94-CDB05F5B4EE0.jpeg This is a 2020 Fender Player Stratocaster in Tidepool. It is not Lake Placid, but a nice shimmery aquamarine maybe? I like it. Was a reasonable find on the local Craigslist. I have been looking for a strat with a maple fretboard, as all my other guitars have rosewood or Laurel fretboards. This is my first strat and is exactly like I wanted and expected after trying a few of these out in local stores. Pretty happy with it so far, was a great deal and smooth transaction, guitar is in great shape looks minty. A good addition to my modest budget/value collection.

Last edited:

Randy99CL

Country Gent
Feb 17, 2020
Albuquerque
Congrats, beautiful guitar!

I think everyone needs to buy a Strat at some point in their journey, you can't ignore all the incredible players that have made some of the best music ever recorded with that guitar.
For some unexplainable reason the Strat just fits me, sits just right in my lap or on the strap.

The Player series fit my budget too and are so good that I don't know that the higher models are worth the price difference. And by buying used it is likely you could sell it for what you paid for it should you want to later.

AZBrahma

Synchromatic
Dec 18, 2020
Arizona
Nice! Not sure how the color reads in person but the photo looks a lot like a color they called Agave Blue they used to use....well, a long time ago, 25 years-ish ago. Enjoy, that will be fun!

GlenP

Country Gent
Jul 23, 2019
WA
Thanks, folks! It does have a hint of green in there that does not show up in the flash photo, and sort of pearlescent sheen, not as flashy as a metallic sparkle.

I was on the fence on this one for a while, it was listed before the holidays, and when I checked again I was actually surprised it had not sold at the already reasonable price, and it was lowered a bit, so I decided to jump on it.

The maple fretboard is hard as a rock, and even as a 12 string player, I am going to have to toughen up my fingers to get used to it. But it is already set up really well. I had a practice with it yesterday and we bonded pretty quickly. I play a lot of oldies and classic rock stuff, so yeah it has found a good home with me here. I was thinking of getting a really cheap strat and modifying it, but I really like this one stock.

GlenP

Country Gent
Jul 23, 2019
WA
There were a few of these kind of strats in NGD posts in the last year, so there must be a reason this is one of the top sellers.

@Butch Ammon likes them so much, he has two of them! One Buddy Holly burst and one Clapton blackie.
So, thanks for the inspiration, or enabler-ation.
https://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/ngd-well-soon-with-black-friday-shipping-etc.213639/

@nickurso made some nice mods to his strat last year, I really like that wood grain top you have there and the tortoise pickguard is a great match for it. Apparently, you CAN put lipstick on a MIM strat!
https://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/so-i-did-a-thing-nspd.209858/

GlenP

Country Gent
Jul 23, 2019
WA
I am more of a singer and rhythm player than a strong lead/solo kind of player, but I am learning a few riffs here and there, and I really like how this one feels and sounds. I have been on the search for a strat-style guitar for a while and was considering a bunch of options and price ranges, this one just was my Goldilocks guitar for now. You know how you sometimes feel regret for splurging on something for yourself that maybe you shouldn't have, (never mind I forgot who I was talking to for a minute there, disregard that rhetorical, I think the term "buyer's remorse" is not necessarily applicable to guitars that you are GASsing for.) Well I don't feel that at all, I think this was just the best bang for the buck and not a stretch beyond my mad-money budget that was burning a hole in my pocket.

Last edited:

Randy99CL

Country Gent
Feb 17, 2020
Albuquerque
Fender and Gibson are likely the two brands with the highest resale value. Phil McKnight talks about how he can play one for a year or two for free because he gets all his money back on resale.

Like others, I am so impressed with my first, a 2019 Player Strat SSS (Plus Top) that last year I had to buy a second, a 2021 HSS. I bought both of mine new on sale and today see used versions listed locally for more than I paid.

Many YT reviews call the Player series the best-bang-for-the-buck you can buy. They certainly are high quality and I love everything about mine: the pickups/sound and the neck/feel, zero mods necessary.

nickurso

Gretschified
Dec 24, 2012
New Orleans la.
There were a few of these kind of strats in NGD posts in the last year, so there must be a reason this is one of the top sellers.

@Butch Ammon likes them so much, he has two of them! One Buddy Holly burst and one Clapton blackie.
So, thanks for the inspiration, or enabler-ation.
https://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/ngd-well-soon-with-black-friday-shipping-etc.213639/

@nickurso made some nice mods to his strat last year, I really like that wood grain top you have there and the tortoise pickguard is a great match for it. Apparently, you CAN put lipstick on a MIM strat!
https://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/so-i-did-a-thing-nspd.209858/
Yep they drop right in. before/after

C8E23202-7AFD-4D21-A87C-ED40F08CB36C.jpeg 861A4DBD-9151-410F-BD2C-0B8083D42EBC.jpeg

GlenP

Country Gent
Jul 23, 2019
WA
Kind of a related tangent, I found this book in my library, pretty enjoyable so far:
7A3D5E29-6853-4735-A66F-2B9804D5FBD0.jpeg
But I do not plan to get this one plated in copper, or dipped in bronze.