NGD! It's Here! It's Here!

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by OzzPocket, Aug 20, 2020.

1. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    Congrats! I'm only about 6 weeks into my first Gretsch but I feel like we've known each other a lifetime!

OzzPocket and GlenP like this.
  2. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    That is how I would describe my new Gretsch, not a stranger, but a long awaited friend.

Cass and new6659 like this.
  3. Awesome guitar mate, just remember that ABM in Germany make a great high quality roller bridge made from solid bell brass if ya gonna use that Bigsby heaps.
    Cheers Mic.

OzzPocket likes this.
  4. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

That's a real beauty, OzzPocket! Play it loud, and play it proud!

5. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Congrats on a great guitar!

6. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Congrats and enjoy!

7. Zeek

Zeek Synchromatic

May 29, 2016
    Illinos USA
    That is a beauty, Congrads

8. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Congrats on your first Gretsch.

9. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Congratulations on that blue beauty!

I still miss a full hollow body in my guitar stand and that kind of threads isn't helping me to remain reasonable....

10. NickGretsch

NickGretsch Synchromatic

Aug 30, 2011
    Cornwall, England
    Congratulations OzzPacket.

looks stunning in blue.

Had a bridge rattle issue with my Orange one, got it sorted and it’s great now. Used it for recording and gigging and it hasn’t let me down.
    Only annoyance is those strap buttons. They have a tendency of coming lose, had that with a previous owned G5230T as well. Now the thread has stripped on my 5420 so will need to replace them with something better.

Fab guitars though, you’ll like it more and more :D

11. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Sure ! :):):)

A+!

SAguitar likes this.
  12. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Loved mine. Youre going to have so much fun bonding with it. And what a colour. Gretsch knocked it out of the ballpark with Fairlane Blue
    Congrats

13. rake_ether

rake_ether Gretschie

Aug 24, 2019
    Athens, GA USA
    Holy Cow! I thought I was the only one. What do I mean? I, too am a lefty that does a number of things right handed such as throw lefty, bat righty, tennis lefty and golf righty, write lefty and eat right handed. Fortunately, I play right handed so guitars are much easier to find. Beautiful 5420, the Fairlane Blue is as gorgeous as my Aspen Green.

OzzPocket likes this.
  14. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Congratulations! That's a great guitar, and Fairlane Blue is just such a beautiful finish.

The Bigsby shouldn't throw your guitar out of tune if it's properly set up. Two things to look for:

1) The nut. Most guitars need a bit of nut work, even fresh from the factory. If your nut slots are too narrow, too deep, or angled improperly, the strings will bind there. A good luthier with a proper set of files can fix that easily. And as you mentioned, lubricating the nut is a good idea too. I use pencil graphite.

2) The strings. Make sure you're using a locking wrap when you string up the guitar.

With those two tweaks, you should be able to wiggle the Bigsby to your heart's content without going out of tune.

Have fun!

OzzPocket likes this.
  15. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats ,lovely colour that!

16. EssEll

EssEll Gretschie

Oct 11, 2019
    Seattle area
    I couldn’t be happier with my 9-month old 5422. It came set-up decently but after a pro set up to fine-tune it, it’s just like butter., and dang, these are beautiful guitars. Everyone said it wouldn’t be my last Gretsch, too, but I can’t justify getting another one.
    Enjoy that baby; it’s a beauty!

OzzPocket likes this.
  17. senojnad

senojnad Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2008
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Congratulations on your gorgeous Gretsch!

Tuning problems/Bigsby -- did you try lubricating the nut slots? I've been using Big Bends Nut Sauce for years on all my guitars and have not had problems with strings going out of tune while using the Bigsby.... You can also used graphite.

18. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Gretschie

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    So far, it hasn't been that bad.....but, I'm actually going to order some lubricant today, just to try it out on the friction points.....either the Big Bends or Music Nomad...... I don't go "heavy" on the Bigsby.....just a little bit of modulation, so I may not have the issue some of the heavier users run into.

19. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Gretschie

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    All these years of playing, and I think I've learned more in the week or so I've been on this forum, than I ever have before.....I wasn't familiar with the "locking wrap"....I looked that up.....gonna give that a try next time I change strings....thanks for the tip!

section2 likes this.
  20. Teledriver

Teledriver Gretschie

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    A piano player/singer I’ve jammed/gigged with many times revealed to me after about four years that he’s left-handed. Said he even played piano right-handed (there is such a thing??). Bought my 1990-ish RH Epi Sheraton off of him for 250 American (!!).
    Anyway the more I see your ‘blue’ the more I like! Really looks good!

OzzPocket likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.