NGD - it has DeArmonds.

juks

Country Gent
Nov 26, 2020
Fremont, California
And it is DeArmond M-75. It just arrived and I gave it a quick test run over lunch. Some nicks and dings but GC only asked $350 for it.

I saw a YouTube video comparing the MIU Gold Tone pickups to typical humbuckers. Huge difference. These have no mud, clarity and chime instead. These should be in a Gretsch!

Though if I understood These pups are discontinued. Oh why? They would fit so perfectly for that Gretsch chime. This will be a keeper.

I don't know the connection to Guild but I presume they built these for DeArmond. It's branded with both.

Pics:

20220517_131832.jpg
20220517_131838.jpg
20220517_131843.jpg
Screenshot_20220517-125821_Chrome.jpg

stiv

Country Gent
Sep 12, 2014
Firenze, Italy
Congrats! Funny enough, I'm eyeing the same model/same color in a Milan shop. :)
I'd be interested in what you think of the tone, and the weight. For what I know, this babies aren't feathers. It should weight significantly more than a Jet (as it's not chambered).

juks

Country Gent
Nov 26, 2020
Fremont, California
Congrats! Funny enough, I'm eyeing the same model/same color in a Milan shop. :)
I'd be interested in what you think of the tone, and the weight. For what I know, this babies aren't feathers. It should weight significantly more than a Jet (as it's not chambered).

Yes it is chunky. 4.11 kg, 9 pounds 11 ounces.

This one made me go for it. Gives you a good idea of the tone. Ton of top end and chime with nice separation.

Roy Clark

Synchromatic
Jun 16, 2017
Bat cave.
And it is DeArmond M-75. It just arrived and I gave it a quick test run over lunch. Some nicks and dings but GC only asked $350 for it.

I saw a YouTube video comparing the MIU Gold Tone pickups to typical humbuckers. Huge difference. These have no mud, clarity and chime instead. These should be in a Gretsch!

Though if I understood These pups are discontinued. Oh why? They would fit so perfectly for that Gretsch chime. This will be a keeper.

I don't know the connection to Guild but I presume they built these for DeArmond. It's branded with both.

Pics:

View attachment 181021
View attachment 181022
View attachment 181023
View attachment 181024
Fender owned Guild at one point. So they had he rights to DeArmond pickups and name. They had them made in Korea and Indonesia. Cheaper version of Guilds. Like Epiphone is to Gibson. The Korean ones were sent to the Fender Factory and they put the pickups in them American made pickups. Pots and wires I do not know about. The DeArmond guitars had the same shape and features that Guild had. They were successful.

Gibson the other brands they own and Epiphone for a little while did not get to sell guitars in Guitar Center So I was told by a guitar player on a forum and no one said he was wrong. The DeArmond guitars sold like crazy in the other stores, mom and pops, and Guitar Center for that very reason. No Gibson Epiphone etc.. Contracts etc.. for Guitar Center for a few years. And the DeArmond guitars was sold between 1995 up to 2005. They out sold some Guilds, Fender, Gretsch guitars, etc.. The Korean ones were well made. The Indonesia ones has cheap pickups etc... And they still sold. Then Fender got rid of the line. Yours and mine is based of the Guild Blues Bird single cut. One of the first guitars to compete with the Gibson LP.

I got one just like yours at Christmas last year. American made custom pickguard was on my guitar. It is used and a little abused. And they wired it with a bumble be cap etc.. Mine has a 2 way roller bridge. I like roller bridges better than any Tune-O-Matic bridge. So I like mine. Both control cavities covers need to be replaced. And as you see my wires and pots need to be looked at. My frets hang off a little. Over all it was a free gift from family. And it came with a Fender used case. Congrats you got a nice guitar.

1653241303658.png

1653241340062.png

Attachments

• 1653241240621.png
    1653241240621.png
    1,014.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

juks

Country Gent
Nov 26, 2020
Fremont, California
Fender owned Guild at one point. So they had he rights to DeArmond pickups and name. They had them made in Korea and Indonesia. Cheaper version of Guilds. Like Epiphone is to Gibson. The Korean ones were sent to the Fender Factory and they put the pickups in them American made pickups. Pots and wires I do not know about. The DeArmond guitars had the same shape and features that Guild had. They were successful.

Gibson the other brands they own and Epiphone for a little while did not get to sell guitars in Guitar Center So I was told by a guitar player on a forum and no one said he was wrong. The DeArmond guitars sold like crazy in the other stores, mom and pops, and Guitar Center for that very reason. No Gibson Epiphone etc.. Contracts etc.. for Guitar Center for a few years. And the DeArmond guitars was sold between 1995 up to 2005. They out sold some Guilds, Fender, Gretsch guitars, etc.. The Korean ones were well made. The Indonesia ones has cheap pickups etc... And they still sold. Then Fender got rid of the line. Yours and mine is based of the Guild Blues Bird single cut. One of the first guitars to compete with the Gibson LP.

I got one just like yours at Christmas last year. American made custom pickguard was on my guitar. It is used and a little abused. And they wired it with a bumble be cap etc.. Mine has a 2 way roller bridge. I like roller bridges better than any Tune-O-Matic bridge. So I like mine. Both control cavities covers need to be replaced. And as you see my wires and pots need to be looked at. My frets hang off a little. Over all it was a free gift from family. And it came with a Fender used case. Congrats you got a nice guitar.

View attachment 181342

View attachment 181343

Thank you for the information, I did not know much about these. I agree, its a very nice guitar and I would like to see these pickups brought back. It's a shame they discontinued them.

Last edited:

drmilktruck

I Bleed Orange
May 17, 2009
Plymouth, MN
I approve on many levels - the color (of course), the pickups, and it's based on a Guild model that's been my White Whale for a long time. Congrats.