NGD - Gretsch G2655

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by navigate40, Jul 22, 2020.

1. navigate40

navigate40 Electromatic

Jul 18, 2020
    FL
    Got the Gretsch G2655 Streamliner jr. in just a while ago. Village Amber. Excellent!

Was a little bit of a gamble...but, I figured, if the neck was good and the wood was good, it would make a fine donor guitar.

Have to say, initial impressions…I am very impressed. Actually overjoyed at the quality. Fit and finish is excellent. No flaws and no issues. It came well packed, tuned down, no issues. Whew.

The neck is straight, needs no adjustment and the action is perfect at 1.5mm. Hard to believe but the fret work is flawless...all level and even...I can barely believe it. Nicely rounded edges, no sharp spots.

Intonation is very good…but…easy to adjust with the tune-a-matic bridge…one of the things I like about these.

Another big thing…had been thinking that the tuners would be cheap and rudimentary…unreal…they are like BUTTER smooth, work well, fine tuning, and hold tune. Thought I would have to replace these ...but...no.

Will try to post a pic next to a tele. A little shorter body, less at the top…which is good for ergonomics. 6 lbs...perfect!

The bridge pup is fine. The neck is a little on the muddy PAF side….expected that…so…will replace it with a TV Jones classic, HB sized. Just ordered it. See how that does and might replace the bridge, in the future.

Plays great, sounds great, controls are excellent. Smooth and very functional.

I have to say, Gretsch hit this one out of the park. Perfect for what I want it for.

Thanks
    gretsch.jpg

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    MTurner, bhatta, Wjensen and 8 others like this.
  2. Footsore

Footsore Electromatic

Nov 29, 2019
    Australia
    Congratulations! That Village Amber looks great. I reckon Gretsch have a good thing going with these Streamliners.

3. navigate40

navigate40 Electromatic

Jul 18, 2020
    FL
    Thank you. Hard to believe, almost. I was looking for a guitar that would be smoother than my tele's (P90 and single coil), but more jangly than the Les Paul. And...lighter and less expensive than the LP, for playing out.

Cannot believe how well this fits the bill...and ...the quality is excellent.

And yeah...the Village Amber...love it.

BTW...the Gretsch site as no info on the tuners, referring to them as "Die-Cast." I bet they are very good Grover's. The knobs on these are exactly the large half moon ones (which happen to be my preferred), attached the same way, as Grover's. The tuning is smooth...I bet they are 18:1 Grover's. Does anyone know, for sure?

Davis Sharp and Footsore like this.
  4. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Congratulations on your new G2655.
    You're right, their quality is stunning. Mine is my easiest to play guitar, the action is fantastic.

5. JT19

JT19 Gretschie

Nov 28, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Congrats on the cool Streamliner! The Village Amber finish is beautiful!

6. tdtom

tdtom Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2018
    new zealand
    Enjoy! and happy modding if you go that route. I've left mine as I got it... like you say, it fits the bill nicely.

7. Stefan87

Stefan87 Synchromatic

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Congrats, the amber colour in the streamliner range is just amazing

8. navigate40

navigate40 Electromatic

Jul 18, 2020
    FL
    I can believe the range you can get on this. Jazz to surf.

Still plan on replacing the neck pup...not critical...but....since I can, I ordered the TVJ classic.

And...the Bigsby and LP Vibramate mount I have from an LP build fits perfectly. OMG....might have to Bigsby this thing.

Don't see needing to do any other mods.

9. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Gretschie

Apr 25, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    The Amber is gorgeous. Makes me want another 2655. The finish on your Tele is also gorgeous. Are those P94s?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  10. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    That color is outstanding, congratulations on a fine looking guitar.

11. navigate40

navigate40 Electromatic

Jul 18, 2020
    FL
    Thank you! Lots of great Gretsch finishes and colors. I like the Village Amber, as it shows the wood grain. Very nice.

The tele is a partscaster. Pine body from a builder on ebay, after market neck and tuners where donated by a friend. I had the electronics and the pickups, lying around. The pups are Duncan Phat Cat P90's. Love them.

The tele body had a good nitro finish on it. A little too yellow for me, so, sanded the top, amber shellac and finished with nitro. Nice thing about shellac, as many know, you can keep layering it on until you get the color you want.

And ordered a Gretsch hard case. It is too nice a guitar not to protect. And a TVJ classic for the neck.

12. Wjensen

Wjensen Gretschie

May 25, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    Congratulations on a pretty guitar. Enjoy!

13. navigate40

navigate40 Electromatic

Jul 18, 2020
    FL
    Thank you!

My first Gretsch....wish I had done this MUCH earlier.

New TV Jones classic neck pickup arrives today.

Gretsch hard case came in...see the post on that.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    Marv666 likes this.
  14. Marv666

Marv666 Electromatic

Jul 26, 2020
    Germany
    You won´t be disappointed with tv classic, but probably want to get a second one soon :)

navigate40 likes this.
  15. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

Congrats on that new Streamliner, navigate40! That Village Amber is a really nice color.

16. navigate40

navigate40 Electromatic

Jul 18, 2020
    FL
    Put the TVJ classic in...immediately impressed. Very good mod. I might just get the bridge pup one day.

This axe is a keeper. It could be my main one for playing out, replacing a P90 tele. In addition to the Gretsch sound, I really like the lighter weight, smaller body, ergonomics and neck. A semi-hollow was a good choice. And the tuners....still impressed.

I love the Village Amber finish. Nice to see the wood grain.

Really does make me want to get another Gretsch. Maybe a full hollow body with filter'trons.....

Might also have to upgrade the electronics one day. The neck and bridge vol controls are very very subtle when turned (selector on both) and then.....cut out completely. Not linear at all....really not all that useful. Fine for now, I don't use these on the LP much (do use the individual tone controls when both selected, occasionally)...but....would be nice to have.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  17. bhatta

bhatta Gretschie

Jun 29, 2020
    Bangalore
    Beautiful guitar. That color does look good!
    I have one with the Bigsby and surprisingly it keeps tune really well.
    These Streamliners are great for the price :)

Enjoy!

18. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Oh yea , now you’re cookn’ with oil ;)
    Congratulations

19. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
  20. Scamp

Scamp Electromatic

Feb 22, 2018
    California
    Congrats. I just got one too. Love it

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.