Join Gretsch-Talk Today

NGD GFS Blue Sparkle Tele Build

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by drmilktruck, Mar 20, 2017.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Friend of Fred

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    All done! GFS body & neck, Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro pickups (with coil split).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    Gimper, wildeman, Pcampbell and 3 others like this.
  2. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I got the pickups at My Music's Going Out of Business Sale. I had them on a previous guitar and liked them. Nice clear humbucker with a very passable Strat-like split sound without too much volume drop off. I could channel my inner Slash! (I don't have one though. :() Very light basswood body.

Final assembly was done at My Music. The tech told me that someone asked how much they were selling it for. I offered to leave the guitar as a consignment and take offers.

Blue Family photo soon.

rockinforJesus likes this.
  3. englishman

englishman Friend of Fred

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Looking cool. How does it play?
    Any other goodies at the going out of business sale?

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Cool,any sound clips?

6. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Nice guitar, Jim. One PU too much for my taste, though.

7. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats Jim. The blue seems even more blue in a flake finish. Nice choice of pickups. Love the Alnico Pro IIs, I had no idea they split well!

8. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Nice Jim! Perfect guitar for a night out at the Disco, the mirrorball will make it look stunning! :p:D:cool:

9. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    It plays very well. It could probably benefit from a little fret work though. The neck is skinnier than I like but very playable. The pickups sound great.

They don't have much left - just a few electrics and acoustics. 30% 0ff what remains so I tried to find something else but couldn't. Lots of band instruments. I thought of reliving my days playing trumpet in grade school but decided my family would hate me. My wife played trombone through high school and I thought of getting her one. The single remaining banjo got me thinking for a minute but realized the hit to my intelligence would make me unable to practice medicine any longer! :D

englishman likes this.
  10. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    You wouldn't want to hear me play!

11. DrumBob

DrumBob Friend of Fred

Feb 2, 2011
    New Jersey
    Just for the record, Jim, that is blue pearl, not blue sparkle. Blue sparkle is the wrap drum makers use that contains bits of blue flakes under a sheet of clear. Blue Sparkle Snare.jpg

12. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Thanks Bob. (I never understood why Gretsch called that grey patterned Jet "Blue pearl." I would have bought a true blue pearl Jet.)

13. DrumBob

DrumBob Friend of Fred

Feb 2, 2011
    New Jersey
    A term drummers often use for pearl finishes is, "mother of toilet seat." Yes, I never understood why Gretsch calls the blue pearl Jet a sparkle finish, given that they have always made drums in blue sparkle.

14. JLD4133

JLD4133 Country Gent

May 10, 2011
    Mequon, WI
    Hey, Doc... Nice guitar, but what really caught my eye was the lovely blue Afghan, which reminds me a great deal of one my mother made many years ago. She could do wonders with needle, fabric, yarn...you name it. I'm convinced she organizes craft classes for the angels! So thanks for the picture that inspired thoughts of her.

15. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    My aunt made that for me back in the mid 70s. She passed away a few years ago. Maybe she and your mother are teaching together!