NGD: G6121T Roundup (1999) - Is It "Not All That"?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Patriot, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Patriot

Patriot Electromatic

Nov 30, 2020
    USA
    Yeah, totally! A black bear can certainly be plenty menacing, especially a sow with cubs. They are equally unpredictable and can do some serious damage in their own right. I learned that fact many years ago (1982) up in southern Manitoba, where beekeepers were allowed to harvest rogue black bears on-demand, and a 12-gauge can certainly be persuasive. As a matter of fact, I think I read somewhere (not sure about the accuracy?), that the U.S. National Park Service (at Glacier National Park), uses 3" magnum 12-gauge loads of rock salt for habituated grizzlies pestering people at park campgrounds and trails. And I don't doubt it. The right load of salt in the face, or the ass, can leave a mark! ;)

panhead6zero likes this.
  2. michicaster

michicaster Electromatic

Sep 7, 2020
    Michiana
    Love those Roundups. I got to play a few vintage ones at Carter's in Nashville a few years ago.

I have some Tom Anderson pickups that have ceramic magnets. The neck one is fantastic.

"Value" depends on what you're after.

3. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    Something distinctive about the preFMIC Roundups are the inlays. They have the rather cool, politically 'incorrect' guns and arrows inlays instead of the more boring fences that are on my 2005 6121W.

I would try swapping out that roller bridge for just about anything else though. I found that out of all the Gretsch designed pieces, that was about the only one I ever found to be sub par. It dampens your volume and surely affects tone. I first replaced mine with a simple Gotoh adjustomatic and then got a Compton. Much better. If you have a Les Paul or guitar with an adjustomatic sitting on studs, or your 6120 bridge, you can just temporarily swap that out to hear the difference.

I have a preFMIC Red Sparkle Jet with ceramic filters and mini-pots and it sound and performs just fine.

4. Patriot

Patriot Electromatic

Nov 30, 2020
    USA
    Thanks Michicaster and BlueNote!

I appreciate your input guys, and the suggestions regarding the roller bridge, pickups and pots are also greatly appreciated. I have a couple of different "fixed" type bridges here that I can swap and try-out (including Compton and Tru-Arc), so that will indeed be a most interesting evaluation, and I'm also encouraged by this news about the mini (metric) pots too! If I can avoid swapping them out for SAE or standard (1/4" CTS) pots, that'd be great. I'm told that the CTS type pots offer a somewhat higher (5-7%) fidelity, but who truly knows? I don't even know how you'd actually measure that? I just go by ear. ;)

5. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Howdy! Welcome to the madhouse!
    If you like that beauty of a guitar, that's all that counts. It's the sound to your ears that matter, and the way it looks to your eyes. It looks fine to me.
    So, you know the taste of Vernor's! I've got family in Michigan from the Detroit area west to the big lake. Both sides of my family originally settled in Dowagiac, and I worked in Niles for awhile.

6. Patriot

Patriot Electromatic

Nov 30, 2020
    USA
    Oh brother, have you ever got me chuckling now! Yes indeed, I was weaned on Vernor's Ginger Ale and Nesbitts (clear) Cream Soda. Fantastic memories of life in America at that time. Church on Sunday mornings, followed by an icy root beer at the A&W drive-in, and a late dinner with grandparents at Howard Johnson's. I'll die a perfectly fulfilled and happy man, with those memories alone.

panhead6zero and wabash slim like this.
  7. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    My first regular job (at 12---what's a work permit?) was at a B&K root beer stand. I remember before they had to change the recipe for root beer in 1960. As we lived in NW Indiana, we had a lot of Canfield's sodas. We didn't go out to eat too often, and when we did, it wasn't too fancy.

8. Patriot

Patriot Electromatic

Nov 30, 2020
    USA
    O.K., so, I've been thinking about this new (to me) 6121, and some of the comments regarding the OEM bridge. I pulled-out the solid Compton and Tru-Arc "bar" bridges that I've had in storage here for a while, and I'm starting to get a bit skeptical on their use for this particular guitar.

Am I wrong to be concerned about the use of bar bridges with a tremolo? Seems to me that I'd be better off with a traditional 'roller' style bridge, if I can find one that doesn't rattle or whine. Maybe something of premium construction like the ABM-2400?

Does anyone have any really strong opinions or preferences on this? I'd sure appreciate it.

9. DougCraft

DougCraft Gretschie

Apr 24, 2018
    Northern Colorado
    Congrats! Hope you end up loving it and make great music with it!

10. Patriot

Patriot Electromatic

Nov 30, 2020
    USA
    Thanks Doug! I'm definitely working on it, but it's a work in progress. The bridge thing is the next puzzle to solve.

Since I purchased this thing based largely upon my admiration for Jerry Miller and his 6121, I can't help but notice that his guitar has a roller (not a bar) bridge. Can't quite tell whether its OEM, or something more expensive, but its most definitely a roller, and if that works for him, with alla his talent, then I gotta believe that it'd work just fine for me!

11. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    Your roller bridge is an original part. Like I said, as an experiment, just swap it out and see if you notice a difference. I noticed one on my guitar but if you don't hear any real difference, then just keep it.

Just wondering, how much does the guitar weigh? My 1997 Red Sparkle Jet is a kinda heavy 9.5 lbs. I'm wondering if the 6121s were different.

12. Patriot

Patriot Electromatic

Nov 30, 2020
    USA
    I'll have to actually measure it, but I too have a '57 Sparkle Jet with Dynas here, and my shoot-from-the-hip impression is, that the 6121 is a tad (maybe 20%?) heavier. Keep in mind that the 6121 is a chambered solid body, but I'll actually weigh it and get back to you on that.

13. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    I have 4 Jets (including the Roundup which is really just an orange Jet). 3 are from 2005 and the Red Sparkle is the only preFMIC. My other Jets are more heavily chambered and my G6121W is the lightest at 6.8lbs. The weight is only a concern if, like me, you're an old guy with a bad back!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.