NGD: G6121T Roundup (1999) - Is It "Not All That"?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Patriot, Nov 30, 2020.

1. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Looks good from here . Can't wait for the finished product . I like the LP too along with the dobro

2. Patriot

Patriot Electromatic

Nov 30, 2020
    USA
    Yeah, that '36 National is pretty beat-up, but its a real jewel. Original cone. Found it back in '96 up in the loft of a barn here in eastern Montana. Cold and dry, so no real rust, but the lacquered pickguard had outgassed over time in the case, and blistered the shiny nickel finish. A real bummer.

thunder58 likes this.
  3. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    I grew up in South Jersey. Philly state of mind. Visited Montana on soul searching mission after first wife passed away. Fell in Love with the place but at 28 years old, I did not have the wherewithal to move. Fast forward 14 years met a lady from Michigan while in Florida. Here I am! Much better than Jersey. a Baby step west from AZ where we want to be! A positive transplant as you would know it!

4. Patriot

Patriot Electromatic

Nov 30, 2020
    USA
    Right-on! I've got two adult sons in Arizona, but it too is fading fast. Even the late-great state of Texas is slipping. As Mark Knopfler wrote in the song Camerado:

"Camerado,
    See that cloud across the sun?
    There ain't too many places left to run."

Anyway, enough of politics!

I see that you have a Fender Jag? Me too! Corona-era '62 Reissue. I'm rather fond of early surf stuff, so its one of my faves. ;)

speedicut and panhead6zero like this.
  5. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Nothing wrong with that guitar.
    I had ceramic trons in my 95 6120 and I thought they sounded great. I replaced them cuz I wanted something different, but it wasn’t because they were bad pickups.

Also, Reverend Horton Heat’s best records were recorded BEFORE he had his sig model, and he played a 6120 with ceramic filtertrons.

Cazza64 likes this.
  6. r0de0

r0de0 Synchromatic

Jul 7, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    I put the TV Jones Classics in mine. They really snarl!
    with Trixon.jpg

Scott and rob batz like this.
  7. panhead6zero

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    I built a Jag from scratch. Warmouth body, 65 vintage pickups and a fender MIM Neck. I love surf too! Gonna try flat wounds per the Gretsch Talk recommendations.

8. Patriot

Patriot Electromatic

Nov 30, 2020
    USA
    Yup, that's definitely the way to go. A Jag with flatwounds, a Fender reverb tank (or suitable reverb pedal), and a blackface amp. Its amazing how close you can get with that simple setup.

9. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Congrats on your purchase, as some have said, if it sounds good and you like it, then there's nothing wrong with it. In fact, if someone gives you grief over its pre-Fender-ness, tell them you have an advantage over the newer models: the early ones like yours have a rifle in the inlay on the 15th fret and an arrow on the 17th. The newer ones like mine have fence rails there. Not saying either is better than the other, but I like the firearm and arrow myself.

10. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Welcome, Patriot. Nice to have you here. That is a beautiful guitar and don't sweat the pickups. A buddy of mine has ceramic Filtertrons in his old Country Gent and they sound fabulous. Twang away. If it works, it works and Gretsch guitars are amazing.

Did my first trip to Montana twenty-five years ago and have been back several times. Truly God's country. Planning on heading to Glacier in the next couple of years if we ever get to cross the border again.

11. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Since you now own one, I think you are as in a good position as anyone else to know whether it is "all that". I certainly hope it is for you. Congrats. Sweet guitar.

12. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Welcome to the forum Patriot.
    Congrats on that great looking guitar. Enjoy playing her.

13. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Love that guitar. I never understood some people's hate for the ceramic pups. I wonder if some of them have even tried them.

14. panhead6zero

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    I have a Topanga reverb pedal, Danelectro echo, a Nocturne DC Fluid drive into a Champ 600. Not in that order... Sounds pretty cool! Flat wounds may be the last piece of the puzzle!

15. Patriot

Patriot Electromatic

Nov 30, 2020
    USA
    Thanks guys!

Thanx to ALL who have responded here! I'm definitely gonna upgrade the switch, pots and tone cap on this thing, but thanks to the many comments here, I'm beginning to feel a whole lot better about the stock (ceramic) Filtertrons, and it makes sense, because it does truly sound great to me, and by all accounts, the 6121 that guitarist Jerry Miller himself plays, reportedly has its stock Filters in-place as well. So in addition to the comments here, that's about as "ringing" as endorsement as I could ever hope for!

Now, all I have to do is acquire 1-2% of his skill level and I'll be on my way! :cool:

16. Patriot

Patriot Electromatic

Nov 30, 2020
    USA
    Thanx, Tony! And good luck with your Glacier Park plans. Its a truly amazing piece of God's architecture (perhaps the very best that we have to offer in this state?), and I hope your plans all come together for you. Last time I was up there (about 15-months ago, at the KOA Campground at St. Mary's), I was on the ground in a tent, and swore I heard the growlings of a Griz off in the distance late one night. Probably nothing more than a silly figment of my imagination, but I didn't sleep right for 3-nights, and I even had a Colt Python in the sleeping bag with me! ;)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  17. Patriot

Patriot Electromatic

Nov 30, 2020
    USA
    Pan,

The Topanga is a GREAT pedal! Just got one myself here about a year ago and it truly is one of the best, if not thee best! At the time, I had purchased the Fender '63 Reverb pedal, the Topanga and the big Surfy-Bear unit to evaluate against my original Fender '63 Reverb Tank, and the Topanga definitely stood out as a serious contender to my original tank, the latter of which are considered to be the holy grail. And good luck with the flatwounds! I think you'll REALLY like them, particularly for surf.

panhead6zero likes this.
  18. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    On one of my countless motorcycle trips around the country I stopped in Glacier. I did a 14 mile round trip hike up to a glacier and came across a young woman on the trail down on her knees sobbing having just been bluff charged by a Grizzly moments before I got to where she was. I was heading up but offer to turn around and walk her back down. Another person coming down arrived and he walked her back.

A couple weeks before I arrived at Glacier a photographer was killed and partial eaten by a Grizzly Sow and her cubs. They later tracked and destroyed them.

I have seen many Black bears in the wild but hiking that day I saw my first full grown Grizzly in the wild. I had my 357 magnum with me and traded it in immediately when I got home for a S&W Trail Boss 44 Magnum. Ya I know....Still not big enough. :eek:

Beautiful state you live in.

panhead6zero likes this.
  19. Patriot

Patriot Electromatic

Nov 30, 2020
    USA
    Haaaaaaa! Yeah, that's a great story! Plenty of them grizzled little monsters roamin' around up here. A season doesn't go by without a bow hunter or rifle hunter getting mauled somewhere in the state. A lot of the more recent cases seem to come from the southwestern and south-central parts of the state (i.e., the Gravelly and Crazy Mountains, etc.), where the population bases and human traffic are a bit higher. People just don't seem to realize how incredibly fearless and unpredictable they are, or that a full grown boar is the size of a Ford Ranger! I'd sooner face assassins of Los Zetas or the Sinaloa Cartel! :p:p:p

panhead6zero and radd like this.
  20. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I was planning on a 12 gauge but I can bring a Blackhawk or a Smith 29. I figure the 12 is probably a bit more decisive. I've had a couple of bear issues in Ontario and while they were scary enough, they were only black bears.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.