NGD: G5420T

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Shadowy_Man, May 24, 2020.

1. Outlaw

Outlaw Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    Good point!
    You would think Gretsch would have an English mount hs filtertron available, I reckon they'd sell by the truck load.

CalicoSkies and Shadowy_Man like this.
  2. bobk

bobk Electromatic

Dec 30, 2017
    Nc
    Great guitar!

Shadowy_Man likes this.
  3. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Electromatic

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate it. I've spent several hours messing around with the pickups (height, poles), amp settings, overdrive pedal settings, and also put flatwounds on it. Feeling more positive about the Blacktops, although I'll still likely consider a pickup swap at some point.

I've had HS Filters on a Tele before and liked them. In general I like the tonality of Filtertrons. My big issue with them is the low E and A strings. I find them to be very tricky to dial in. All the other strings can be sounding good and the low A and E can sound muffled (regardless of string type, rounds or flats). I never find that to be an issue with single coils/P90s.

I've found a few settings where the low E/A have a bit more presence, but then it's tricky to keep the other strings sounding right. I find the muffled low E/A is more prevalent in the middle position (both pickups on) I was wondering if that's just the nature of the beast or do some Filtertrons not suffer from that issue (for instance, TV Classics?).

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  4. Wjensen

Wjensen Gretschie

May 25, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    Congrats! "This is my G5420T! There are many like it, but this is mine" Of course, I have one, and its orange. If you have never had a Gretsch before, I would stick with the Blacktop Filter'Trons for a while and see if you don't warm up to them. It takes some fiddeling with them to get them to sound their best. But I have to admit to thinking sometimes about TV Jones pickups too.

Welcome to the forum, and hope to hear more from you.

Shadowy_Man likes this.
  5. tolm

tolm Gretschie

Jan 25, 2016
    UK
  6. tolm

tolm Gretschie

Jan 25, 2016
    UK
    I bought a G6128T-1962 Duo Jet (the double cut model) unseen from the US and imported it here to the U.K. Was a risk but no other way I could find of getting that model. Loved its playability from day 1 but had a weird, muffled, honky midrange thing going on - perhaps similar to what you were describing? - especially under gain.

I persevered with the HS Filter’Trons at first and had the wiring checked: it had 215k pots which was odd so those were switched for 500k and I tweaked the pickup / pole-piece heights ... this improved things a little but I still wasn’t quite happy.

Eventually I gave in and order a pair of “blemished” TV Jones Classics. These arrived pretty quickly and were arguably in better condition than the origin HS Filters despite the “blemished” moniker.

Predictably enough, the TVs sound excellent. A far more balanced response, more clarity in the high-end and no muffled / wooliness whatsoever.

So, er, yeh ... I guess in my experience I would say the TV Classics are a better Filter’Tron option.

new6659 and Shadowy_Man like this.
  7. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Electromatic

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    Thank you, that sounds familiar. I will definitely keep the TV Classics under consideration.

Also considering T-90s and/or T-Armonds. But there's a lot about the Filtertron tone profile that I like.

8. Stonepicking

Stonepicking Gretschie

Sep 14, 2018
    Portsmouth uk
    Congratulations. Very nice guitar. I love my 5420. I've kept the black tops in mine, not sure if I'll change them. I did change the pickups in my 5422 and like the results so I may end up doing the same with the 5420. No rush though.

Shadowy_Man likes this.
  9. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats ,an orange Gretsch,what's not to like!:cool:

TubeLife, tolm, michelb and 1 other person like this.
  10. emitex

emitex Synchromatic

Aug 21, 2014
    NYC
    I had a 6120-60 and a heavily modded 5420. Sold the 6120-60. Kept the 5420.

TubeLife, tolm, michelb and 2 others like this.
  11. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Congratulations @Shadowy_Man ! ;)

The G5420 is undoubtedly Gretsch's best seller guitar... :cool:

A+!

michelb, Shadowy_Man and Outlaw like this.
  12. michelb

michelb Gretschie

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    Keep in mind there's always the free mod of brightening up the pickups by removing pole pieces ;)

Shadowy_Man likes this.
  13. tolm

tolm Gretschie

Jan 25, 2016
    UK
    I considered T-90s as well but as I’d just slapped a set of Bare Knuckle P90s in my 335 I thought I’d stick to Filters - and glad I did!

Shadowy_Man likes this.
  14. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Electromatic

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    I played around more with the Blacktops, and following some advice I saw in another thread, I found the following helpful in getting a more balanced sound from these pickups.

Bridge pickup: raise the bass side, lower the treble side
    Neck pickup: raise the treble side, lower the bass side

Better and better!

new6659 likes this.
  15. michelb

michelb Gretschie

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    That's the cool thing about filtertrons, with some fiddling you'll come to a sound you like.

Shadowy_Man likes this.
  16. MentalTossFlycoon

MentalTossFlycoon Gretschie

Dec 22, 2018
    Texas
    Hey Shadowy Man......you wouldn't happen to be doing your best Brian Connelly imitation with that new Gretsch would ya??

Shadowy_Man likes this.
  17. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Electromatic

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    I was just playing "Having An Average Weekend" an hour ago! I first became aware of Gretsch guitars from watching Kids in the Hall years ago. Big fan of Shadowy Men/Atomic 7. Recently discovered Cousin Harley too, and they have a strong Atomic 7 vibe. I read that Paul Pigat and Bryan Connelly played together in the past too.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    MentalTossFlycoon likes this.
  18. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Electromatic

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    Some shots in the sunset through the window:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

capnhiho, emitex, new6659 and 3 others like this.
  19. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Best Sunburst I've seen in a long time! :cool::cool::cool:

michelb and Shadowy_Man like this.
  20. Snorre

Snorre Country Gent

Feb 12, 2009
    Walkersville, MD
    Congrats! She's a beauty! :cool:

Shadowy_Man likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.