NGD!!! G5222 au-natural

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by aFriendbFrosty, May 29, 2020.

1. aFriendbFrosty

aFriendbFrosty Electromatic

May 22, 2020
    West Coast
    So... there were two particular Gretsch models shown at NAMM earlier this year which really caught my eye. The G5222 was one of those models.

A really good deal popped up during reverb's Memorial Day sale/promo and well... I imbibed:D
    [​IMG]

Just arrived and grabbed this quick pic before I let it sit in it's own quarantine corner.

Won't say which # Gretsch this is for me as I still owe you guys pics of my other ones. But I will say I wouldn't have bothered with this if it wasn't for my G5220 (pics eventually, I promise).

Doubt this will stay stock as I really, Really want a single-pup Gretsch and this is clearly the frontrunner for such a mod. I have a thing for single-pup guitars; probably because that's what I first started learing on:cool:

goostah, NJDevil, Chmason85 and 10 others like this.
  2. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Gretschie

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Congratulations, I really like the looks of that one.

3. xtcclassic

xtcclassic Gretschie

Jan 9, 2019
    Missouri
    I’ve got the same guitar, I’ve already modded the hell out of it even though it sounded killer stock. Sounds even better now!

Outlaw likes this.
  4. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Very nice, congrats!

5. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I love the natural look , my G5422-12 FSR 12string is natural . I wish Gretsch would make a single cut Jet w/ Bigsby in natural .
    Beautiful guitar and best with your modding . But I must ask you @aFriendbFrosty , if you wanted a single pick up / natural / double cut , did you ever consider the G6161 MY ( Malcolm Young ) model . Seems it would have what you're looking for in a guitar ( just curious ) :)

7. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Looks really classy. Congrats.
    I had one of these in may hands recently and it beamed quality. Great instruments.
    I would get rid of that smiling tailpiece immediately, though.

Ricochet and Outlaw like this.
  8. tolm

tolm Gretschie

Jan 25, 2016
    UK
    Looks great ... man, Electromatic are just knocking it out of the park recently ...

9. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I love the natural look of these.

Riff City had a limited Natural run on the G5435. Although no Bigsby. Maybe one will turn up on the used market if you like it.

06DC098F-FF8A-4C75-AC6B-D2BDE747769B.png

Chmason85, NJDevil, Stefan87 and 2 others like this.
  10. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats !

I like the look of these myself,might try and pick one up used next year,cause i'm cheap like that.;)

Ricochet and section2 like this.
  11. GlenP

GlenP Synchromatic

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    All the fancy Gretsch colors are awesome, the Orange, Fairlane Blue, Cadillac Green, etc ... but for some reason, I always gravitate towards the natural wood grain finishes myself too.

12. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    This would look great with a Bigsby B3 and a Towner down tension bar.

Merc likes this.
  13. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Beautiful guitar. Congrats!

14. aFriendbFrosty

aFriendbFrosty Electromatic

May 22, 2020
    West Coast
    Yup, fully aware of the MY model... just not ready to start dropping that kind of money, haha.

TBH, still undecided as to what model I would choose as my first big$ buy. Ask me a few months back and I woulda said the Rev Horton Heat model. But now I could just as easily say the Setzer Smoke or Steve Wariner models. And since I'm an oddball, I gotta include the Eddie Cochran model:)

But getting back to the G5222, I never would have bought it if I wasn't so blown away by the G5220. And modding this one to a single pup guitar is more of an excuse to justify keeping both:D

15. Stefan87

Stefan87 Synchromatic

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Congrats on the new guitar, I like the natural finish gretsch has on a few of their models, the streamliner natural is nice too.

This is a cool jet, really cool jet lol.

Merc likes this.
  16. Wjensen

Wjensen Gretschie

May 25, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    Congrats on an excellent find.

17. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Cool, how’s the weight and balance?

18. xtcclassic

xtcclassic Gretschie

Jan 9, 2019
    Missouri
    Mine is the lightest of my three Jets by a bit, as far balance it’s a bit neck heavy but not really a problem unless you prefer slippery straps.

Ricochet likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice