NGD: G2629 to join the Sparkle Jet Club!

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by JT19, Jul 14, 2020.

1. JT19

JT19 Gretschie

Nov 28, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    In a recent thread asking which Gretsch would be our next, I replied:

WRONG!

The G5220 is still on the way... it'll be here Friday. But in between that post and now, I had the opportunity to acquire another Gretsch via a local trade.

This G2629 Sparkle Jet was too cool to pass up!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Needs a new toggle switch for the pickup selector (the original one broke off, but still functions), but other than that it's in remarkable shape for its age. Barely any fret wear, and the rosewood fretboard is very smooth with no sharp frets, etc.

My understanding (and perhaps someone with more knowledge of these can correct me if I'm wrong) is that these Sparkle Jets were made in Korea between 1999-2003, and were available with either Electromatic or Synchromatic on the headstock (depending on where they were sold), and in both a solid-body version and a semi-hollow version with a single f-hole.

As far as I can tell, the Synchromatic models start with G16xx and the Electromatic models start with G26xx. It appears the third digit delineates between solid body (1) and semi-hollow (2), while the fourth digit indicates the color: black (5), silver (6), blue (7), gold (8), and red (9).

Thus, G2629 would indicate a red Electromatic Sparkle Jet with an f-hole... while G1626 would indicate a silver Synchromatic Sparkle Jet with a solid body.

Features include a bolt-on maple neck with a rosewood fretboard and a 24.75" scale, a wrap-around tailpiece, master volume, individual volume for each pickup, master tone, and a 3-way pickup selector connected to two Gretsch humbuckers.

The pickups are nothing special, but I like them enough that I won't be swapping them out anytime soon. The neck feels really nice... reminds me a lot of the neck on my Strat.

One more shot that tries to catch a little more of the sparkle:

[​IMG]

I'd love to hear from other Sparkle Jet owners! Let's see some pics and hear what you think of them!

2. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Don't have one, but I love the matching headstock!

hcsterg, JT19 and Merc like this.
  3. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I’ve never played one but like the sparkle. And I really dig the Electromatic script on it. I hope you enjoy it.

JT19 likes this.
  4. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Gretschie

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Congrats on your new guitar.

5. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Your understanding of the models is correct. Nice guitars, just sold a blue one. Very moddable, if you’re into that. Standard Humbuckers fit in the pickup route. Congrats.

Wjensen likes this.
  6. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

7. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
  8. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
  9. bhatta

bhatta Gretschie

Jun 29, 2020
    Bangalore
    @JT19
    Semi hollow: I like
    That Electromatic font on headstock : I like
    That wraparound bridge: I like
    That sparkling color: I like
    Damn I love it!!!
    Enjoy ☺️

JT19 likes this.
  10. Wjensen

Wjensen Gretschie

May 25, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    Looks like you struck gold...er...sparkle. Nice guitar. Enjoy!

JT19 likes this.
  11. JT19

JT19 Gretschie

Nov 28, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Installed a new toggle switch to replace the broken one, and she's better than ever!

[​IMG]

Gancho likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.