NGD G2420T Gold Dust

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Smokebreak, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Smokebreak

Smokebreak Electromatic

Feb 22, 2019
    Texas
    Ordered one of these from Guitar Center the other day. It arrived at my door with a hole in the box and you could see the guitar! A string was visibly busted too. I didn't even take it out of the box, just took it back to my local GC and had a new one shipped out.

I'm pretty blown away by this guitar, after setting it up. This is my 4th Gretsch, and a nice addition to my 5127, 6128, and 6118. After a day of playing it, the only drawbacks are the little Bigsby clicking issue(that I'll get to the bottom of when I have a chance), and the fact that the inside of the f holes are a tad sloppily painted black. There are 2 barely tall frets that I could easily take care of but aren't even causing a problem with buzzing. The cheap TOM bridge was rattling, but some crimping of the retainer wire cured that. The neck pickup was oddly angled towards the bridge(??), but taking off the ring and putting it back on solved that.

So a handful of little weird quality control/setup issues, but honestly playability is more important to me than these things, and it plays really really well. I've got the action pretty low, and the neck is nice for my hand.
    While I got it to mod(already ordered switch tip and knobs), these Broadtrons are 100% staying. I think they sound great, and I've already got filters and dynas covered. I did the screw removal thing on the neck pickup, and could go either way on that, I think they sound good both ways. Clearer with the screws removed, and almost an out of phase thing goin on with the middle position, that way. They're not the sexiest pickups, but whatever, I'll try and find some metal rings that fit.

It's interesting that even with all the little issues out of the box, it's a total keeper. It's really fun to play, and that says it all I guess. Does it have the upscale finesse and luxurious feel, as well as fit and finish of a proline? No. But it doesn't feel cheap, like a lot of $500+ guitars do. It's a solid player. Now I have to find a non Bigsby one to fully mod;) (pics before plastic came off) IMG_4300.jpg IMG_4302.jpg IMG_4301.jpg

2. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
  3. Smokebreak

Smokebreak Electromatic

Feb 22, 2019
    Texas
    Ha was waiting for it to go on sale for months , and they do the week after I buy it o_O I got mine new for 500, simply by calling and talking to a salesman. They were out of blue and red, and I got the last gold. Musta had a big re-up

thunder58 likes this.
  4. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    I'd still call and get the extra $50 back.

I wonder what they do have in stock? Over the past few months I've called MF to ask about four different guitars that were on sale (and "in stock and ready to ship" on their website) when the phone rep told me they were totally out of stock.

thunder58 likes this.
  5. Smokebreak

Smokebreak Electromatic

Feb 22, 2019
    Texas
    I just emailed my rep . So it looks like they’re still out of red and blue. “Reserve Now”
    Last week before I bought online, their site listed one in stock 30m away, so I drove over there, and turns out it was on sale, but a “scratch and dent”. I picked it up and there was a big crack in the neck at the heel. Not a finish crack either. Guitar was unplayable, wouldn’t hold pitch. Couldn’t believe it was on the wall. Almost offered them $50 for it

6. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Congrats! That model has always caught my eye, and if I didn't have so many jazz boxes already, I'd have one by now. And I still haven't ruled it out, but it may be a while.

7. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
  8. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Congrats, that's a fine looking Gretsch.

9. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Congratulations on your new Streamliner! GoldDust is cool, especially in the sun.
    And these BroadTrons are great pickups, have a Great Gretsch Sound too. Even if @giffenf I'm not sure they would qualify for a "jazz box".

10. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
  11. Smokebreak

Smokebreak Electromatic

Feb 22, 2019
    Texas
    Got $60 bucks back!

SAguitar, thunder58 and section2 like this.
  12. Mark W

Mark W Country Gent

Jun 6, 2008
    Central Florida
    Congrats on your new Streamliner. Mine did not share the same minor issues you mention but I do like the look of the gold. Mine is red but in person it is a very dark red unlike Sweetwater pics. More wine red almost walnut.

I bought mine to install some HS Filtertrons but right now I am also not unhappy with the Broad'Trons so will have to wait and see on that mod. I do have a set of locking tuners waiting only because they make string changes easier for me.

13. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Congratulations , she's a beauty

14. ALS57

ALS57 Gretschie

Jun 17, 2019
    London
    Well done and enjoy

15. Smokebreak

Smokebreak Electromatic

Feb 22, 2019
    Texas
    Hotrodded! I switched out all the pots for CTS 500K, new switch and output jack, and Surf90 pickups. New metal G knobs and switch tip . The pickups are pretty fun. Kinda hard to say what they sound "like". Kinda honky, not ice-picky. Almost like a strat, sorta? Kinda unique, not real hot or loud. Neck is very clear. I also wired the Vol puts like a normal Gretsch, so I can blend better in the middle position. 15oK/.001 treble bleed on the master. I also leveled and crowned a couple high frets, and polished them all. Plays great. This is fun! Need to do something about the pickguard... Fender 150s, pure nickel 10s, it really needs 11s or 12s

. IMG_4633.jpg

16. Smokebreak

Smokebreak Electromatic

Feb 22, 2019
    Texas
    Quick demo of the guitar with the Surf90 pickups. I dig em! They're nice and "strummy"

17. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Great video, she sounds good.

18. lordhelmet

lordhelmet Electromatic

Apr 5, 2020
    Germany
    Great mod, sounds awesome! These pickups look very cool with the white inlays!

Any reason you put the pickups with the polepieces facing towards the middle?
    Normaly these dearmond-style PUs are positioned the other way round.
    I don't think it's "wrong", because it sounds good! Just wondering...
    Great playing btw!
    IMG_20201002_163749.jpg

19. Smokebreak

Smokebreak Electromatic

Feb 22, 2019
    Texas
    Thanks! Yea as far as the pickup positioning, I tend to always start any pickup (that has that capability) like that. It helps thicken up(or take away highs) from the bridge pickup, and help adds more clarity(or more highs) to the neck.......in theory at least, especially if you are raising poles.....Especially with "cheap " pickups. But I did the same with stock bridge dyna on my 6128 and it was an improvement, albeit not drastic. It helps the whole "bridge is perfect but neck is muddy" pickup balance dilemma too

20. lordhelmet

lordhelmet Electromatic

Apr 5, 2020
    Germany
    Interesting approach, thank you for explaining!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.