NGD for my daughter: Squier Mini Jazzmaster (my quick impressions)

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Hickeroar, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Hickeroar

Hickeroar Gretschie

Oct 4, 2020
    Texas
    Got my daughter a Daphne Blue Squire Mini Jazzmaster HH Hardtail on Friday. She loves it, and can make chords and reach the end of the neck far better than on a full size guitar. We're working on learning Porch Swing Angel by Muscadine Bloodline since it's a great 3-chord song. :)

20211009_051410380_iOS.jpg

I thought I'd give my opinions on the guitar itself:

Pros:
    1. The neck and body themselves seem to be good enough quality.
    2. The tuners are better than what I've seen on squier affinity guitars. Very little slop, and the ratio seems good.
    3. After setting it up (which took me an hour and a half because it was so out of whack), it's stayed pretty much perfectly in tune for 3 straight days. I didn't expect that, and I'm pleasantly surprised. I had expected it to fall out of tune within an hour.
    4. Truss rod worked just fine (which you can't always guarantee on a cheap guitar).
    5. It's under $200.

Cons:
    1. It's got bad fret sprout from the factory
    2. The bridge is probably the worst one I've ever messed with. The way it's constructed means you can easily thread strings through the saddle springs (I did this on two strings, before I figured out what was going on), and depending on the saddle height, you will have a bend/kink in the string underneath the saddle due to the dimensions
    3. The nut is cheap plastic and loves to grab ahold of the strings. It also appears that the nut slots may have been DRILLED instead of filed, because on two of the slots, the string actually "clips" down inside the nut slot (it's wider inside than the top of the slot)
    4. The pickups sound pretty "lifeless" when plugged in.
    5. The setup from the factory was just...the worst I've ever seen. Which is to say it was not set up at all. It was just assembled and shipped.
      1. The intonation was WAY off. The saddles were almost parallel.
      2. The action was at about 10/64ths. Due to the design of the neck and bridge, I was only able to get it down to about 6-7/64ths without really bad buzz on the lower strings.
      3. The relief was .015
      4. The pickup height was random.

Conclusions:
    1. For $190, I guess you can't expect much.
    2. If you can set the guitar up yourself, it's probably worth the price since things like "how the pickups sound" really don't matter a ton to a little kid.
    3. If you either a) aren't going to set it up yourself, or b) are planning on paying someone to set it up...I suggest that you just skip this guitar and get something else.
      1. Without a lot of setup, it's simply not worth playing. It's just BAD out of the box.
      2. You can spend $70 more (which is roughly what a setup costs), and get a guitar that is much better in every respect.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
    dswo, Groutsch, hcsterg and 4 others like this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    There are no " cons " when giving the gift of music . Enjoy the time with your daughter my friend

3. Hickeroar

Hickeroar Gretschie

Oct 4, 2020
    Texas
    Good take :)

thunder58 likes this.
  4. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Your daughter will love it!

hcsterg and Hickeroar like this.
  5. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Congrats on the new guitar for your daughter, I'm sure all the cons won't even matter to her as it came from you.

Hickeroar likes this.
  6. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    You don't want her getting frustrated with it. She wouldn't stick with it then. Glad it all got sorted out easily.

Runamok, Stefan87 and Hickeroar like this.
  7. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    That is a fair point actually.

8. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Congrats on getting your daughter her own guitar. Keep encouraging her play along with Dad. Enjoy the good times.

9. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Wot ? Are you serious ? o_O:D
    It should have been a Gretsch ! :rolleyes: (below my daughter's - I offered her in 2013 AFAIK)

[​IMG]

OK - no matter : our daughter are indeed happy, right ? :);)

upload_2021-10-12_16-29-20.png

Congratulations for that cool Mini-Squier-Jazzmaster... Moreover in Daphne Blue ! :cool::cool::cool:

A+!

10. Hickeroar

Hickeroar Gretschie

Oct 4, 2020
    Texas
    I actually let her use my G5232T for a while, but it's just too big and she was getting frustrated with it. She just needed a smaller guitar. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.