NGD finally

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Paulie26, Oct 6, 2020.

1. DangerousD

DangerousD Electromatic

Oct 15, 2020
    Colorado
    Congrats...got mine 2 days ago ...gonna bring it in for a setup and a brass nut, but that will have to wait a while. Still having too much fun playing it give it up for a week or two. Don't understand why you can't get a setup..any guitar shop would be able to do it.

Paulie26 likes this.
  2. Paulie26

Paulie26 Electromatic

Sep 7, 2020
    Ireland
    Got the guitar to a tech- bad news

said the truss rod is already adjusted to the extreme and although he could get it set up 80% or more he cannot get it 100%

He believes someone was at it before and probably returned it, and the shop sold it on to me. I have initiated the process of returning it.

I am extremely dissatisfied and disappointed. Won’t be another one available for months.

Any thoughts???

3. Fredo

Fredo Synchromatic

Jan 18, 2010
    Georgia, USA
    Does the low E buzz when it's played open? If it buzzes when it's fretted, where is it fretted when it buzzes? The truss rod is adjusted to the extreme, but is it extremely tight or completely loose?

Some of the Korean 512Xs had straight necks with no tension on the truss rod. That's an expensive problem to solve but, otherwise, I don't know why yours would be only 80% fixable.

4. Paulie26

Paulie26 Electromatic

Sep 7, 2020
    Ireland
    Thanks.

it did buzz without fretting, he solved that I suppose, but when its fretted it still buzzes. I think its extremely tight, either way he did say its an expensive job. he said he could not get it 100% correct, which has really taken the good out of it for me now. i dont know what to do. Shall i try source a new one? I loved the look of that guitar and how it felt to play.

5. Paulie26

Paulie26 Electromatic

Sep 7, 2020
    Ireland
    Sadly, it’s all boxed up ready to be returned.

A little more clarity.
    As you recall, the low strings were buzzing like crazy. My guy got rid of some of the buzz, but when he went to adjust the truss rod, it had been previously turned to the max and he could not get the 100% correct relief. So I believe the guitar was faulty and most likely previously returned to the company who in turn sold it to me as a brand née guitar. Anyway the will take it back and return my payment. Unfortunately they cannot get another one until feb/ mar next year.

I do love the look and the neck of the guitar and will put it down to bad luck. That was to be my third Gretsch after a projet and 5120.

This was the best looker of the lot.
    Not sure what to do.
    Shall I get another????

Attached Files:

6. michelb

michelb Synchromatic

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    Sad to hear it, it's always really sad when your expecting something and it's close but no sigar :(
    I'd get another and wash away the bitter taste ;)

Wjensen and Paulie26 like this.
  7. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Sorry for the trouble with this guitar. Yes I would have it replaced by the seller. To bad you'll have to go through the shipping hassle and long wait to get your replacement.

Paulie26 likes this.
  8. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Sorry to hear that Paulie,hopefully the next one is killer.

Paulie26 likes this.
  9. Wjensen

Wjensen Gretschie

May 25, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    +1. It's a great guitar. Sorry this one was damaged.

Paulie26 likes this.
  10. Paulie26

Paulie26 Electromatic

Sep 7, 2020
    Ireland
    Put a deposit down over the phone today for a replacement. A real old school shop where i got my first electric guitar in 1990!!!
    I'm very happy to shop local rather than buying from overseas to save a few quid

Piece of mind is priceless.

I will post pics as soon as i get

panhead6zero likes this.
  11. Paulie26

Paulie26 Electromatic

Sep 7, 2020
    Ireland
    New NGD!!!

Just got word, my neighbour has taken delivery of my new Orange Stain G5655TG!

Hopefully this one will be ok

12. Paulie26

Paulie26 Electromatic

Sep 7, 2020
    Ireland
    Here it is.

Looks stunning and feels v nice

I’ve learnt a little from ye!

Leaving it to settle for now

Attached Files:

Henry and JC higgy like this.
  13. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats again Paulie!

Hope you have more luck with this one sir.

Paulie26 likes this.
  14. NickGretsch

NickGretsch Synchromatic

Aug 30, 2011
    Cornwall, England
    Congratulations and a good choice if I may say

Have fun and enjoy it

Paulie26 likes this.
  15. NickGretsch

NickGretsch Synchromatic

Aug 30, 2011
    Cornwall, England
    I had rattles on mine.

Took it to a good local guitar tech. Although I’d located the trouble, lose bridge saddles, I was wary about glueing them which is exactly what he did but at least he did it expertly lol

Paulie26 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.