NGD: Finally a decent gig-worthy not-so-J45, affordable J-45 Slope Shoulder dread!

dreamingGretsch

Synchromatic
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
My uncle has 2 j45 a ‘58 a mid 60’s and also a 70’s j50

I have played these a few times over the years and I’ve always wanted one but never pulled the trigger to buy one as every time I have come to
get one I can’t find the tone of his… champagne taste beer money….

I got spoiled now with the SS types. I dont know if I’ll ever buy another body shape again!

dreamingGretsch

Synchromatic
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Just an iPhone mic/video

Strung with 13’s. It responds well to picking and strumming dynamics. I feel like I dont have to work so hard to get some tones going.

This is what I will primarily use this for. Just pure strumming, live and loud. Hopefully the laminate will help resist feedback.

I havent lowered the bone saddle yet as the action is manageable. Im afraid I might lose the tone when I lower it and change the break angle of the string.

Neck is actually dead straight, the nut is cut decently but the G string slot was cut a bit low. No buzz though.

Piezo pickup doesnt sound great, but decent with some EQ. So i will plug this in and play through an Acoustic IR. I dont want to mic this in a live gig even if thats the best tone for live sessions.

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
thank you sir! What did you get?

if I ever had more money, id actually take the Eastman. Hahahaha. To be honest it sounded sweeter than the black 60’s Gibson J-45. Very well balanced!

I got a Larrivee L-02. Guess I shouldn’t complain.
3716413f-5d2f-4fce-a9e5-ed0b8905615c-jpeg.126135

AZBrahma

Synchromatic
Dec 18, 2020
Arizona
Nice looking git, congrats! For any electrified acoustic, I always recommend a preamp of some sort. A Tech 21 acoustic Fly Rig is good choice.

Wait....when did Sigma come back?? I used to sell them 30 years ago in the shop where I worked.

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
Wait....when did Sigma come back?? I used to sell them 30 years ago in the shop where I worked.

They never left. Just lost the association with Martin, some 15 years ago.
AMI, a German company bought the name from Martin. Except they’re not allowed to sell under the Sigma brand in the US, cause another company owns the US trademark. Don’t even ask me how that works. I’m not a lawyer!

radd

Friend of Fred
Dec 27, 2017
Home
i’m very satisfied with this guitar. Hehe. There will come a time i’ll own a J-45 standard. But I’m mainly an electric guitar player so that will be far in the future. Hehe.

It looks like you may never need a J-45 Standard, yours looks great.

dreamingGretsch

Synchromatic
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Congrats on your new Sigma SS, dreamingGretsch! It really sounds great in the vids.

Thank you sir! after stringing it with 13's it sounded better, the low end more pronounced and warmer highs.. I'm happy with this..

although I really wished the all solid version, the second one in the vid comparison, had more low end, I wouldve bought that one due to the outstanding specs it had.. I considered for a moment, but after few more back and forth, I'm convinced that the laminate is the one I need to bring home. hehe

dreamingGretsch

Synchromatic
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
It looks like you may never need a J-45 Standard, yours looks great.

oh thank you sir! I really like how the sunburst on this one looked although the Gibson burst looked nice too!!

Untitled by D Y, on Flickr

ndbwjcqzhjzdadnfxnzz.jpg

On the sound, I cannot comment as Ive only tried the 60's one. I'll be going back to the shop to try and A&B my guitar to a Gibson Standard J-45 once they have it in-stock.. fingers crossed, mine would still be very close. my wife would kill me if I'm 5000 AUD poorer when I go back home. HAHAHAH

but yeah, I'm still finishing up on my electric guitar rig so no plans on purchasing a high end acoustic anytime for the next 2 years I guess. hehe.. lets hope I stay strong and avoid GAS anytime soon! HAHAHAH

radd

Friend of Fred
Dec 27, 2017
Home
oh thank you sir! I really like how the sunburst on this one looked although the Gibson burst looked nice too!!

Untitled by D Y, on Flickr

ndbwjcqzhjzdadnfxnzz.jpg

On the sound, I cannot comment as Ive only tried the 60's one. I'll be going back to the shop to try and A&B my guitar to a Gibson Standard J-45 once they have it in-stock.. fingers crossed, mine would still be very close. my wife would kill me if I'm 5000 AUD poorer when I go back home. HAHAHAH

but yeah, I'm still finishing up on my electric guitar rig so no plans on purchasing a high end acoustic anytime for the next 2 years I guess. hehe.. lets hope I stay strong and avoid GAS anytime soon! HAHAHAH

I bet your J-45 will hold its own against a Gibson Standard

I like the vintage burst. My new to me J-45 Standard is a burst

DB52B5DA-9C46-4A40-8DBA-697E48C6D600.jpeg

dreamingGretsch

Synchromatic
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
I bet your J-45 will hold its own against a Gibson Standard

I like the vintage burst. My new to me J-45 Standard is a burst

View attachment 173895

just saw your post on it! I did comment!

wow! This new fascination to J-45 and slope shoulder dreads is killing me. Ive never been this way since I got into teles. Which is a good and bad sign since I went on to become addicted to teles and the bad is I never played anything else besides Teles. Hahaha.

but yeah, I’m in no position, financial and literally in my role in the band, to be getting a high end acoustic for now. Besides, since I play live and loud, I still need to invest a bit more time in getting a good “plugged in” sound in the easiest and hassle free way possible. I dont know if I need a separate pedal board for this, but there’s tons i need to learn in the acoustic amplification world! Hehe

your J-45 looks glorious sir. I bet it sounds mighty! I love the neck on the 60’s J-45 model. The neck feels like an electric guitar, much like my ES-330, so it felt like home!