NGD: Cheapy DeArmond

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Sid Nitzerglobin, May 22, 2020.

1. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Ran into this one today while I was picking up a tablet holder for my music/mic stand & for under a c-note I went ahead & grabbed it:
    [​IMG]
    It's a '99 DeArmond M-65C in good player condition. It'll likely benefit from some new strings a bit of setup tweaking but it's a pretty fun guitar to play as is & test driving through an Orange TremLord & my GVT-15H later when I got to my shop, the HBs in there were sounding surprisingly nice to me.
    [​IMG]
    Pretty nice neck on it, fairly Gretsch-y w/ maybe a touch more depth, shoulder & peek to the profile than the standard C. Someone did a fairly good job lightly sanding the clear on the back of it at some point as well & it's very nice & frictionless:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It'll have some tinkering/turd polish applied for sure: thinking I might borrow the Surf 90s from my Retromatic to see what they do in here, replace the plastics, & maybe get a guard from Decoboom if I can convince myself that one of the copper backpainted patterns will work w/ the finish (the guitar seems a bit darker & browner than these pics are reading to me).

Anyway, thanks for taking a look!

2. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    DeArmond makes a fine product. I've had several from that era and not a dud among them.

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  3. Groutsch

Groutsch Gretschie

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland, US
    Great score! I have a thing for DeArmonds, and that one's a nice color. From the finishes named on the price list, it must be Solar Bronze.

4. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    I scored a beater with the DeArmond PUPS a couple years back. No complaints at all.

5. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Is it heavy?

6. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Thanks guys!

I'm going to go through my parts this morning & see if I've got any stuff I might want to drop on here today while I've got the strings off.

Nice, that seems like a fitting name for the finish. Really a cool look IMO.

Not at all, I'm guessing maybe 7 lbs. ?

Stefan likes this.
  7. Jeff67

Jeff67 Synchromatic

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    I bought a M65C for $80 from GC a few months ago, and I'm in the middle of modding/ upgrading it. Build thread soon. Love that color! I've never seen the M65C in anything but black and sort of a cherry sunburst.

Stefan and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  8. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Gretschie

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Congrats on a fine looking guitar. Enjoy it.

9. Freshy

Freshy Synchromatic

Sep 30, 2017
    Homosassa FLA
    DeArmond are super and for that price. I have (2) M series and one is "Solar Bronze" and its a small sparkle finish.

[​IMG]

rob batz, Alanqa, Shadowy_Man and 3 others like this.
  10. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I've always thought of DeArmond guitars as Guild's version of the Electromatic line or like Gibson's Epis. Great bang for the buck instruments. Sad that they didn't last long.

11. Jeff67

Jeff67 Synchromatic

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Just saw one exactly like this on Reverb. Funny how you never see something, and all of a sudden you see two or three. I'm really loving this color!

Freshy likes this.
  12. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I had an 2000 M68 previously myself that seemed similarly nice to this one w/ the added advantage of the DeArmond 2K pickups:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I had a surprising amount of trader's remorse when it went away in one package deal or another.

I agree in my limited experience they seem to have been really a good value when I've seen them. Seems like it's a rule that at least one knob will have to be broken/missing a reflector whenever I see them though:)

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    rob batz, montereyjack66 and Groutsch like this.
  13. Jeff67

Jeff67 Synchromatic

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Those knobs seem like the toughest thing to find for those guitars- like you say, missing the reflector, or missing pieces of those paper- thin skirts. The knobs are the first thing I look at when looking for a Dearmond.

14. Freshy

Freshy Synchromatic

Sep 30, 2017
    Homosassa FLA
    My Starfire had all 4 chipped or broken. I went with some glass ones I liked off Ebay.
    [​IMG]

rob batz, Alanqa, Jeff67 and 2 others like this.
  15. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
  16. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I managed to pull the Surf 90s from the Peerless & the ABM2500 off of the Newport & install them on the M-65 along w/ all new bling bits this afternoon at the shop:
    [​IMG]
    The nut was bugging me if for no other reason than being kind of ugly & obviously plastic & my luthier friend was down to do a bone one for me but we were unable to find a blank on hand that would work between us. He managed to dig up a Zero Glide kit though & did his usual awesome job fitting it for me & was able to get my spacing a bit more optimal in the process:
    [​IMG]
    He also dug up an old Guild archtop guard so I could see what I thought of the shape & get some idea of the visual impact of the black guard w/ gold trim on here :
    [​IMG]
    I think the general shape & color of the straight up Guild guard actually works pretty good for me on here if I can find a black & gold one that would fit, especially since I wound up going w/ a set of the Guild knobs I had on hand in the earlier blingening work. At least I have a decent shape I can trace as a starting point for a template. I'd love to get a tracing of an actual M65 guard though if anyone has one or can take one for me.

The important bit: this thing is freaking amazingly fun & smooth playing & sounds perfect for me now. I'm pretty surprised at how much I'm grooving on the Surf 90s in here, I liked them a lot in the Retromatic, but I have no inkling of a desire to change for anything else in this guitar at this point :D I was seriously impressed w/ the dynamic bloom I was getting at any gain stage of the drive pedal stack through my GVT15H & my initial impression is this thing seems to crank out some of my favorite sounds yet clean or dirty, aggressive or pretty, bridge or neck.

I think I'll likely order a set of 3x3 Hipshots for it, figure out the guard situation, & do my semi-obligatory rewire of it (everything's working fine right now but it just won't feel done to me until it's working w/ nice electronics & wire in it ;) ) & just enjoy the hell out of it :)

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    rob batz, SAguitar, wildeman and 3 others like this.
  17. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    Mine is not what I would call heavy. Bare in mind, I'm historically a bass player so my reference may be off. I have a Double Jet that is heavier and another Double Jet that is roughly equal to the DeA. Is it an ultra light? No. Is it gonna throw your back out or relocate your shoulder? No. I would say it's on that lighter side of middle...after adding the B5. And all that stuff about the knobs is f*ckin' A true.

Sid Nitzerglobin and Jeff67 like this.
  18. Jeff67

Jeff67 Synchromatic

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Mine's off right now, so if you PM me your address, I'll send you a tracing. Or PM me your email address, and I'll scan it and send it along if you're in a hurry. Dang- you already did a few things to yours I was gonna do to mine, and I was wondering how a Guild stairstep pickguard would look on there. That looks awesome!:)

19. Groutsch

Groutsch Gretschie

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland, US
    Wow, I love the knobs and pickguard and I LOVE the pickups.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice