NGD Annie and pickup questions

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Smokebreak, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Smokebreak

Smokebreak Electromatic

Feb 22, 2019
    Texas
    This one makes my 3rd Gretsch, and I pretty much understand the obsession now. This 6118T LTV 125th Anniversary in Jaguar Tan joins my 5127( Classic bridge, T-Armond neck), and my 6128TDS.
    I told myself I was gonna wait awhile before another purchase, but it was a steal, and I had my eye either on a 6120-59, or an Annie with a Trem, so when the price dropped I pounced on it.

The guitar plays like a dream, and I've been gettin to know the Powertrons that came stock in it. At first, I absolutely loved them. They still have some of that clear Gretsch sound, but are pretty thick, and mid heavy. They scream! That's the case when I pick up the guitar every time, but man, those mids start to wear on your ears a bit, and I'm finding I'd like a bit more clarity.

I play Rockabilly, Western Swing, Hillbilly Jazz, Jump Blues, Chet, etc, so I'm starting to look for a set of pickups that suit me, while at the same time scream "classic Gretsch".
    Honestly, the Powertrons are close, especially through say a scooped mids type BF or SF Fender amp with some headroom, but through a Tweed type amp it's a bit much.

I'm hoping to get some suggestions from those of you who have much more experience with the variety of pickups out there. I'm open to anything, and have a set in mind, but I'd like to hear some opinions. Doesn't have to be anything crazy, maybe the good ol classic plus bridge, classic neck is what I need. Maybe some HS Filtertrons is the ticket??
    I will say that I really like the bridge pickup, at least the way it is NOT thin, and is very snotty/growly. The neck pickup is ok, but the middle position isn't magic. I mean, it sounds good, just not that jangly Gretschy thing I'd like to have.
    So if I can get clear, jazzy neck...... barking, semi-thick bridge......and magical jangly middle position, I'll be happy.
    IMG_3504.JPG

2. Medium John

Medium John Electromatic

I fail to see a problem . It is what it is , and I always say if it ain't broke don't fix it . It's beautiful and from the description of the tone you're getting , sounds like it's a keeper to me . :) Give it a while , you two will bond .

CaliforniaSlim likes this.
  3. Smokebreak

Smokebreak Electromatic

Feb 22, 2019
    Texas
    This is certainly an option too that is def still in the running! Of course I need to play a gig with it , too...

4. Stefan87

Stefan87 Synchromatic

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Congrats on the new guitar, love annies, I am super keen to try powertrons myself.

If you want the traditional gretsch sound then like you said, if you go either HS FT, TVJ Classics or TVJ Ray Butts will get you there. You could even look at the setzer sigs, I haven't tried them myself but I haven't heard a bad thing about them.

That or just keep the power trons and buy a 6120-59 so then you have the best of both worlds :D.

G5422T likes this.
  5. Smokebreak

Smokebreak Electromatic

Feb 22, 2019
    Texas
    I'd be lying if I said that hasn't crossed my mind :cool:

G5422T and Stefan87 like this.
  6. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    I had power trans on my 6128. Definitely great pickups but a bit more woof than i”m used to and a bit less jangle than i like. So i sold the guitar.
    BUT you aren’t going to sell your Annie. If I were you I’d just put Filter’Trons in and its going to sound magnificently Gretchy.

Les Pedals, ishtar and LivingMyDream like this.
  7. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Very nice. I owned one and out of the 17 guitars I’ve had, it had the most perfect neck that I’ll never forget. A very soft V for part of it. I added gold pickup bezels on mine and liked the look. Although the gold was a shade off from the pickguard. If you ever decide to add a jack plate, the authentic Gibson Les Paul OEM fits like a glove. It’s the right thickness and size as the players edition plates and I didn’t have to replace the jack either. Anyway, enjoy the new Gretsch!

B79A3E7F-5D1E-4198-A7ED-B0FC12F2A974.jpeg 64081781-1832-45FF-9472-CF9661E2E157.png

8. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats, that is a great colour!

Smokebreak likes this.
  9. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Smokebreak likes this.
  10. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    JACK PLATE ! HURRAAAAAAAAAAAY !! :p

wabash slim, Smokebreak and Merc like this.
  11. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    @Smokebreak , that's a beautiful guitar .
    if you get the chance , try a Jangle Box pedal

Smokebreak likes this.
  12. JT19

JT19 Gretschie

Nov 28, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Congrats! Always loved that color combination!

Smokebreak likes this.
  13. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    The Powertron is sensitive to the volume pot. You can get quite a few nice tones from it just by turning it down a bit. Maybe you should experiment with it a little more before you swap them.

lathoto, Smokebreak and mbkri like this.
  14. Smokebreak

Smokebreak Electromatic

Feb 22, 2019
    Texas
    Thanks for the input y’all. I’ve been enjoying the guitar, I really dig the bridge Power’tron, the neck is pretty good, and the middle is meh. I think it’s a function of the bridge being so thick(which is great on its own), and not having enough thinness to properly mate with the thick neck Power’tron, for the jingle jangle in the middle.
    I realized I had already spent too much time wondering what Filter’Trons would sound like, so I got a set of HS Ftrons from Darren Riley for $140 shipped . We’ll see what happens.
    I did want to make a quick vid showing what they can do with a rootsy Rocknroll/Rockabilly type approach, as I couldn’t find anything on the web that demoed PowerTrons for that kinda stuff.

15. peterjh85

peterjh85 Electromatic

Dec 16, 2017
    Pacific Northwest
    I think you made the right call with the HS filtertrons. TV classics for me are too HiFi and have that really extended top end and low end. I like the powertrons like you for the added mid range and no ice pick. I think a nice middle ground are the TV Jones T90. Just put a set into my TCB Falcon Jr (similar specs to yours) and it sounds awesome. A bit more bite and clarity but no ice pick!

Shadowy_Man likes this.
  16. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Nice demo. I think those filters are going to make you Waaaay happier. I hope you post a similar video after the swop. Its going to sound crisper and janglier and more rockabilier.

17. Zeek

Zeek Synchromatic

May 29, 2016
    Illinos USA
    Wow Beautiful guitar and killer playin, Congrads and I can see you will Enjoy

18. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

I have the Gretsch High Sensitive Filtertrons (H.S. Filtertrons) in my Tennessee Rose, and they have what I call a "creamier" Gretsch sound through my Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue. It still has all the definition, but with the scooped mids I get a very smooth tone. When I play it through my Vox AC10, I get a bit more of the classic Gretsch twang. Of course, on each amp, I am dialing it in a bit to get exactly what I want.

ishtar likes this.
  19. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Sure you were gonna wait. We've heard it all before.

Like my wife always says, "...but it was ON SALE!!!"

ishtar likes this.
  20. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Gretschie

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Congrats on the guitar. Will be watching for the video with new pickups installed.

ishtar likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.