NGD and I Love It!

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Gretschtim1, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Went to my favorite music store Tuesday to try out the new Epiphone Les Paul and SG guitars.
    They looked good and some of the necks felt good but that was it. I didn't like the tone unplugged. They were overly bright and metallic sounding. I compared them to their Gibson counter parts and the Gibsons were warmer and fuller. Plugged in it was even more obvious.
    I was disappointed but hey the Gibson versions are 3-5 times more expensive.
    That said while I was checking them out my band's second guitarist brought me a never sold 2018 Gibson SG Standard. The guitar was taken from it's box at the store and had a broken head stock. The shop repaired the head stock and was selling it for one third of the going price.
    I instantly fell in love with this guitar. It has mojo just like my 75 335. I can't explain but I think this guitar has some original songs in it...:). IMG_0736.JPG The right instrument can inspire you to come up with new song ideas. My faith in Gibson has been restored. Thanks to Chuck Levins for offering me such a good deal on a keeper.

2. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    Great guitar, great story!

Enjoy it!

Gretschtim1 likes this.
  3. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    Love it...Congratulations

How about a pic of the headstock repair?

Groutsch and Gretschtim1 like this.
  4. Back in Black

Back in Black Gretschie

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    GT1,

Beautiful SG.

I've repaired a number of broken Gibson head-stocks, once they're repaired properly, they won't break again.

Someone once said, ''the first thing you do with a new Gibson, is break off the head stock and have it repaired"

A number of the ''greats'' play Les Pauls, that had their head-stocks broken off and repaired. Ace Frehley's Budokan three pickup LP has a broken/repaired head-stock. When Gibson Custom Shop replicated this guitar, they went as far as cosmetically replicating the head-stock repair.

Your new guitar would have been my pick as well.

Enjoy your new SG, it's special now!

BIB.

5. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    I've come across three different headstock repairs that involved a crude but effective application of large bolts. All three played fab! The sight of this no longer causes me to flinch.

Gretschtim1 likes this.
  6. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    No bolts were used in this one. It's a good repair but doesn't look the greatest.
    My tech can refinish that section where it broke and he's so good that you would never see it.
    That said it really doesn't bother me because the guitar plays well and sounds awesome. Cosmetics have never been a big issue for me. My favorite guitars all have battle scars...:).
    I've read that some guys don't like the 61 pickups but I have to disagree with them.
    I've played them through most of my amps, Fender, Ampeg, Vox, Marshall clean and distorted and they sound great. Clean but not brittle & AC/DC ballsy.
    I have some Gibson 57s that I could put in but I just don't think I would like them as much as the stock pickups.

montereyjack66 likes this.
  7. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Gretschtim1, Waxhead and rob batz like this.
  8. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Gretschie

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    Very nice, and a great deal to boot! As much as I wanted a Gretsch for many years, I've always wanted an SG as well...far more than Les Paul.....there's just something about the SG's that have attracted me (and the fact that three of my "influences", Iommi, Young and Krieger, all played one....well...that just cinched it). Enjoy it! :)

9. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Congrats on the fantastic deal, one of those days where you end thanking yourself for going to the shop that day.

Gretschtim1 likes this.
  10. GVDobler

GVDobler Synchromatic

May 15, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Why are Gibsons prone to headstock breakage??
    There must be a story to go with that.

11. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats Tim!

I never wanted an SG until recently,well,the last 10 years or so, kinda fancy one of those 61's.

12. rake_ether

rake_ether Gretschie

Aug 24, 2019
    Athens, GA USA
    Whenever I see an SG I can't help but think of Pete Townshend. That makes me smile.

Gretschtim1 and new6659 like this.
  13. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    Isn't it that they have a considerably angled headstock? Much greater than most guitars.

What would be perhaps just a ding on most guitars becomes a serious break on a Gibby.

14. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Combination of single piece necks (no lamination, no scarf joint, no volute) and 17º neck angle.

heads.jpg

15. SAguitar

SAguitar Gretschie

Jan 17, 2020
    Jack Plate, Oregon
    Congratulations!

16. DougCraft

DougCraft Gretschie

Apr 24, 2018
    Northern Colorado
    Congrats! My first electric was a 61 Gibson SG Special with P90s. I literally wore it out!

Gretschtim1 likes this.
  17. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Beautiful guitar Tim, I share your SG love and hope it'll make you happy for a long time.

My old 1958 Les Paul has a headstock repair and I couldn't care less, it plays like a dream. Like you say, Gibson's break their headstocks and when they're fixed, they're actually better.

How is the neck dive with the Grovers?

Gretschtim1 likes this.
  18. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Great score, congrats! My 1962 SG Les Paul had a headstock break and was repaired back in 1968. Never had a problem with it in the 52 years since. It's stronger than it was originally!

Mr Swisher likes this.
  19. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Yeah, beautiful guitar! I've got a soft spot for the SG, when I first met my best friend Steve in 1970 (he passed away from cancer five years ago) he had just bought a new cherry SG and I was stunned by how beautiful it looked and sounded. When I decided to learn to play my first purchase was a new cherry Epi SG.

One third of the normal price because of a headstock repair? I'd jump on that deal too.

Mahogany is a relatively soft wood, I wonder how much stronger it might be if it were made of a tougher wood?

20. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    See @englishman post above. This is exactly what the luthier who repaired mine told me back in 1968. The later versions of this guitar added a volute to the back of the neck to try to fix the weakness.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.