NGD - and a mystery never to be solved - G6120-BSSMK

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by knavel, Jun 7, 2021.

1. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    Thanks for the details. It's funny how wired in to Gretsch wiring we become without knowing it so we only notice something when it's different like this. I was actually wondering if they would just have a dummy switch or a hole where in that region since I seem to recall that Brian Setzer just pushed the mud switch into the body. I think the tone switch concept is one of Gretsch's great designs as it simply takes potential tone suck out of the circuit unlike every other guitar that uses pots.

2. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa

Congrats and enjoy.

I've been preaching to the bleachers about the RB's for a couple of years now.

There's some special "air" about them.

sgarnett likes this.
  3. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    "RBs"?

4. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    I don't do NGD sorts of posts normally but the Gretsch was an exception as it was more than just a new guitar, it was a change of perspective on my part re the modern Gretsches.

Circumstances are such that I've been doing a lot of acquisition, not just guitars, but basses and old amps. Here are some of the guitars:

1) American Original 70s Telecaster Custom; 2) A/O 60s Custom Telecaster; 3) Guitar Center/Musicians Friend FSR Gibson Les Paul Special and I've put mini humbuckers in it since I also picked up an SG Special (not pictured) in Pelham Blue with P90s; and 4) 1959 Les Paul VOS--that one is another scratch and dent and the pickguard was stolen and all the paperwork gone.

IMG_20210608_184705904_HDR.jpg IMG_20210608_184826542_HDR.jpg IMG_20210608_185034140_HDR.jpg

5. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Ray Butts

knavel likes this.
  6. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Stellar acquisitions. It must be increasingly hard to pick a favourite!

knavel likes this.
  7. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    Ray Butts is to Filter'trons as Seth Lover is to Gibson PAFs. Supposedly, RB actually developed his hum-cancelling design before SL, but Gibson submitted their patent first. TV Jones introduced their RB homage pickups in similar spirit as Seymour Duncan's Seth Lover. Both are relatively low output compared to modern overwound takes, and both are unpotted. Wax potting helps kill microphonic squeeling, but unpotted pickups convey a little more of the body resonance and "airiness".

new6659 and G5422T like this.
  8. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    The Les Paul is definitely the most unusual to me as I played Gretsch or sometimes Fender from age 14-50. It's an amazing guitar but the SG Special with its crazy light weight and P90s was easier for me to jump to. I'm giving myself 20 years to become a Les Paul guy!

I believe you bought my old Valco Oahu and Epiphone Electro Amp (made presumably by Nat Daniel). That was nearly a decade ago I think. I hope you liked them.

Ricochet likes this.
  9. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    The older I get the more appreciative I am of light weight guitars.

The amps. I didn’t want to fire them up without a checkup first. Couldn’t find an amp tech I trusted enough(except for Michiel but he was busy with Elektra amps), plus I needed a furniture maker for the Epi since the cab fell apart in my hands.
    Around the same time I moved to another continent so in storage they went, and they’ve been sitting there ever since. Kinda sad but such is life.

10. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    The thing with Les Pauls is that they are like racing bicycles; the less they weigh, the more expensive they are. The VOS one in the photo is 8.5 lbs. I also bought a brand new gold top 70s LP Deluxe and it was 10.5 lbs!!! I sent it back today.

I'm sorry to learn that the Epiphone cab came apart. I feel very badly. There was never any sign of cabinet issue for the 25 years or so I had it. It never actually left the music room. If they were any where near my brother's here in Spain we'd look at them now and do any work.

11. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    10.5Lbs… ouch. I have a well made B&CH LP clone weighing about the same and it’s the most LP-ish sounding of my LPs, but the sheer weight keeps me from picking it up. I seem to remember you don’t rate sustain very much, but it’s truly extraordinary how it seems to sustain a note.

Don’t feel bad! You went above and beyond shipping me the amps, and they both were packed very well.
    The Epi has a delicate construction simply not made for the rigours of the road. The travel must have proved too much for the old girl. She will be revived, some day.

12. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    I'm coming to appreciate sustain. It's a baby steps thing. The Les Paul standards are such beasts to me. I more easily meld with the Special.

But that 6120 Smoke is like comfort food. I was playing it last night with my brother and I've never played Brian Setzer solos so well (still lousily). I have my 1960 6119 getting some work done and for the frets I want to get the same ones as the Smoke. I wish they would tell you in the spec sheets what model numbers the frets are!

I remember with those amps that I could at least help with the customs cost I'm pretty wary to European tax collectors' wormy ways.

13. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    25 Years ago I was all about LPs, never so much looked at LP Jr or Specials.
    Lately I’m all about Teles, and found Specials and Juniors are a good halfway point between a Tele and LP. You get the immediate response of a slab of wood and 6 strings, without the pretty fluff.

The 6120 Smoke must be sensational to play. Re the frets. Each brand has their own profiles. If Gretsch/Fender can’t help you out, maybe get some clay putty and make an imprint of the profile for your tech guy. Digital calipers will only give you width and height.

Yes, you definitely helped me out there. The tax collectors are still wormy. They’re consistent though, I’ll give’m that. :)

knavel likes this.
  14. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    Although I spent my first 26 years not far from where Gibson did its magic, I was never a Gibson guy. That's changing. I put a Bughera Power Soak on one of the old amps like the ones I sent you and it's like playing music for the first time. I get the sound but I can still sing over it. I like them all--no, I love them all. But it will be Gibson for a while as it's a honeymoon period.

Yes, like with everything else I'll have to get proactive to finding out what the specs are on the frets I like. I just wanted this something to be easy and let me by lazy for a change :).

Ricochet likes this.
  15. Hojen

Hojen Electromatic

Feb 23, 2021
    Denmark
    First : The Brian Setzer has no Oth fret, just typical “American Style” nut, only some ‘62 reissues have this feature. The tuner gearheads are standard German Schaller,with the stylish “S” on the rear cover. They are really good gearheads. Some guitar makers have their special OEMs made by Schaller, an example is Hagstrom of Sweden.

16. doc538

doc538 Electromatic

Sep 20, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Hell ya that's a keeper... I say "smoke them if ya got them" and you do, I do have a problem with the body size, knowing you a Londoner I was awaiting the metrics I wouold havw to convert and got inches instead and that just blew my mind (don't take much) is that legle for u to use amercan standard measurements ?

17. Bob Perrone

Bob Perrone Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    allentown, pa
    In spite of the issues it's definitely a keeper - you did good! (I'm jealous)
    Regarding the Bigsby condom...well, for me I like leaving it on - helps me grab at it when needed without my fingers slipping off...but that's just me...
    besides, it may affect tone....ya know, like leaving the plastic on the pick guard? LOL

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.