NGD - and a mystery never to be solved - G6120-BSSMK

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by knavel, Jun 7, 2021.

1. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    Having always been a vintage Gretsch guy, I saw this Brian Setzer "Smoke" model on a 'scratch and dent' type sale and bought it because I liked the idea of nitro finish, Fidelitron pickups and Tavo's review of the model. I reckoned if anything was going to bring me away from the Gretsch of yore, it would be this model.

With the merchant I bought this from, it's always a bit of potluck with these scratch and dent items. Some just have a patch cable sort of ding or two; others have been missing parts, wrong certificate of authenticity (or none at all), etc.

Upon receipt of this 6120 I immediately was in love with it as soon as I picked it up. Finally a finish that nailed my brother's 1959 6120. Completely unlike the bright orange 6120s I normally perceive the modern ones to be. The sound was early Stray Cats right out of the box (as Tavo noted in his review).

Other than the missing protector under the bridge (which the guitar should not have been shipped with in place) the body is perfect. Where are the defects that make this a scratch and dent???

100% of the issues start from the zero fret up. First I noticed that the front of the headstock was all pock marked. Then I looked at the back of the headstock and saw the familiar site from the vintage side of changed tuners. On a new guitar??? No way!

"Way": This guitar has Schaller locking tuners on it instead of the Gotoh "Gretsch" labeled ones that can be seen in the Sweetwater listing for this model. The holes from the Gotohs were not well filled in either. IMG_20210607_162109323.jpg IMG_20210607_162124918.jpg IMG_20210607_162220258_HDR.jpg IMG_20210607_162226402.jpg

And of course the paperwork is completely missing. I received only the dice knobs and locking strap button replacements.

I thought originally to ask if I should keep this or return it. Having gotten over $1000 off of the list price I am inclined to keep it despite its flaws.

Tavo review:

2. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    he
    \

hell ya keep it. despite the moronic workmanship on the tuner swap you got one of the finest production pro series instruments Gretsch puts out. I call it a custom shop assembly line guitar :) But take that cotton pickin Bigsby condom off!!! :) (and get the pickup heights to spec asap, unless it was already done for you. I had to adjust mine to the 3/16" space tween the bottom of both E strings and top of pickup covers)

3. Back in Black

Back in Black Synchromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    KN,

Nice piece.

The marks on the head-stock are from a previous owner, who like a lot of players, seem to think there is something to be gained by not trimming the strings following installation, either coiling them up into wrist size ''bracelets'', or just leaving them to flap in the breeze.

Every time the case is opened/closed, the untrimmed string ends, find something to gouge.

I leave original screw holes vacant when I change tuning machines. Just my opinion, but they look better vacant, than they do poorly filled.

Just me...but it's a keeper, slightly relic'd, which isn't a bad thing.

Best,

BIB.

DSCF1262.JPG

Outlaw and knavel like this.
  4. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    I’m not a fan of “relicking” guitars AT ALL. I have never used my guitars to shovel snow off the driveway or hit baseballs. That said, the Smoke is a fantastic guitar, and there’s something to be said for having one that is no longer pristine. Enjoy!

Shock, knavel, MKunie and 1 other person like this.
  5. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats, that looks magnificent!

What makes a guitar a “scratch and dent”, instead of an obviously used for a couple of months and traded?

MKunie likes this.
  6. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Ya gotta keep it sir!

Oh,and congrats,it's gorgeous!:cool:

MKunie likes this.
  7. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I’d keep it!

knavel likes this.
  8. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Mine is my favorite guitar so of course I say keep it!

knavel likes this.
  9. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    About a $1200 discount.

I'm still the 'original owner" as far as the guarantee goes. I've already written to Fender asking for new documentation. Not just for this guitar but an American Original 60s Telecaster I also bought on similar terms whose certificate of authenticity is for a Jimmy Page Telecaster (I'll be keeping the JP model's tweed case though!).

Ricochet likes this.
  10. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Congrats on the new guitar, these seem like a really cool thing and would love to try one.

I'm with you on this one, can't stand paint chips, dents or the 'relick' look, have no issue with worn/dull finish on the body/hardware as that shows playing but that's as far as I can go.

sgarnett likes this.
  11. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    Sorry, yes the condom is in place only because I'd had the guitar for minutes when I posted and I was a bit distracted by the headstock and new tuners. I'll have to adjust the pickups as well, because being the paranoid person I am when I saw what was up with the tuners I was immediately concerned that the pickups had been switched out and took a look at their backsides as well to ensure they were TV Jones Butts models. I always thought TV Jones Classic was the best of the bunch but these Butts have been a sea change for me.

By the way I bought a BS-301 Mystery Brain from you over Christmas and it is really nice. I only now have arrived where my stuff is in Andalusia (long story) and my brother asked me what "Abby" means. I actually don't know but I will work it out! We are really impressed with your pedal!

12. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    For sure based on its sound alone. If I decide to take this one back to London thanks to Brexit I may have to route it through where you are in NI. I tried sending some things to myself in London from here in Andalusia recently and even for my 1964 Vox AC-4 TNT demanded a CITES certificate. So the parcel never left Spain. But I can send things to my office in Dublin all day. So it may come down to my hiring a van and dropping in on the post office in Newry to get this stuff to myself in London.

13. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    @knavel

the whole sillyness of the "abby" name comes from the movie Young Frankenstein :) the function though changes the gain sensitivity, might sound like a boost but its not a vol boost.

down to the atomic brains logo artwork

14. juks

juks Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
  15. Shock

Shock Gretschie

Sep 7, 2020
    Minnesota
    And not having to pay the custom shop price for someone jacking up the finish.

sgarnett likes this.
  16. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I like dirty cleans. I often wrestle with using the ABBY as my “more”, or just building my doggone base tone out of it since the ABBY is so touch-sensitive. The pedal is seriously cool either way.

By the way, I recently played a gig that was literally only a Telecaster/Mystery Brain/amp. It got me everything I needed for the whole show. It is THE roots pedalboard in one pedal. Thanks again for what I believe is the best pedal on the whole entire market.

17. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    Great! I look forward to being able to settle in with this and everything else once I'm done going through the agony of getting it all to Britain.

One more thing about that 6120 is how the switches work. I haven't quite sorted that out. It's definitely not the mud switch set up of my old 6120s.

18. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    It’s not that different. The positions of the pickup selector and mud switch have been swapped per Setzer’s preference. The cap values may have been tweaked a little, I’m not sure. Basically though, they work the same as ever.

I think there is a treble bypass cap on the master volume, which the older 6120s would not have had.

knavel likes this.
  19. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Congrats, nice guitar despite the tuner change. I'd sure keep it with the discount you received.

Sabato likes this.
  20. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Compelling arguments, all 1200 of’m!

Congratulations, may we see the Tele?(Asking for a friend)

Sabato likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.