NGD! ... almost

SneakyPete

Gretschie
Mar 7, 2022
Australia
Hi all, very happy to report I've just bought a new (to me) Gretsch guitar! It's a 1999 G3141 which has already been quite extensively modded. V cut Gretsch Bigsby, TV Jones pickups, Compton bridge (I think). I should receive it tomorrow or the next day, until then the seller (who didn't do the mods) didn't really know anything about the guitar apart from saying it's in great condition. So I'll just have to be patient and hope for the best!

I'm wondering about the TVJ pickups. With the DeArmond mount they all look the same from the top. I'm guessing there are markings on the underside of the pickup, surely this is the case? No pictures of the undersides on TV's website.

Anyway in a couple of days after it's arrived I'll post a proper report and pics. The pics below are some of the sellers images. Looks like it could do with a wipe down! ad_1659901737812.jpg

For anyone who doesn't know the model, it's a thinline centre block that would've originally come with Dearmond 2000's and the G cutout tailpiece. It's 16" wide and 1 7/8" deep, from the Historic series that from what I can gather were only made from '99 to '03.
ad_1659901742920.jpg ad_1659901731731.jpg

audept

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2010
Sydney, Australia
That could possibly be originally my guitar. I had a 3141 which I modded with TV Jones Powertrons (DeArmond mount), B6C v-cut Bigsby and a Compton bridge. I had a custom cats-eyes pickguard made for it. the serial# was 91XX232.
3140 &3141 mods and upgrades 050.jpg 3140 &3141 mods and upgrades 052.jpg
The original guitar with tortoiseshell pickguard, G-tailpiece and DeArmond 2000 pickups
3140 & 3141 040.jpg

Merc

Friend of Fred
May 6, 2017
Florida
That could possibly be originally my guitar. I had a 3141 which I modded with TV Jones Powertrons (DeArmond mount), B6C v-cut Bigsby and a Compton bridge. I had a custom cats-eyes pickguard made for it. the serial# was 91XX232.
View attachment 186866 View attachment 186867
The original guitar with tortoiseshell pickguard, G-tailpiece and DeArmond 2000 pickups
View attachment 186870

Judging by all three (Bigsby, bridge, and pickups), my guess is you’re onto something. It’s a small world after all.

SneakyPete

Gretschie
Mar 7, 2022
Australia
View attachment 186866 View attachment 186867
View attachment 186870
I must say I did think of that after doing a little digging on this site for info. I saw the pics of your mods and knowing you're in Australia I wondered if you'd sold it and kept your custom pickguard and if this is that guitar. I'm guessing there wouldn't be too many of these with those particular mods in Australia! I'll check the serial number when it arrives tomorrow, but surely it is your old guitar.

When did you sell it?

SneakyPete

Gretschie
Mar 7, 2022
Australia
I just checked the sellers photos again and in one of them you can kinda see the serial number through the cats eye (dark and blurry) and I'm not 100% sure but I do believe it is your old guitar!

audept

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2010
Sydney, Australia
I must say I did think of that after doing a little digging on this site for info. I saw the pics of your mods and knowing you're in Australia I wondered if you'd sold it and kept your custom pickguard and if this is that guitar. I'm guessing there wouldn't be too many of these with those particular mods in Australia! I'll check the serial number when it arrives tomorrow, but surely it is your old guitar.

When did you sell it?
November 2014

audept

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2010
Sydney, Australia
I just checked the sellers photos again and in one of them you can kinda see the serial number through the cats eye (dark and blurry) and I'm not 100% sure but I do believe it is your old guitar!
I really hope it is because a really good luthier friend did all the work and replaced the original nut which was in poor shape.