NGD 2420t minor issues?

2Tone

Electromatic
Jul 6, 2022
Scotland
Hi folks
Received a brand new gold dust 2420t today for the giveaway price of just £299 from GuitarGuitar UK. Over all I’m pretty happy with my new purchase however there are a few issues I would like some opinions/advice on.
I set the action on bass and treble side to 4/64ths but the bridge height adjustment thumb wheel screws still seem kind of high. Is this normal on this model ?
2CD96689-86C4-45C5-A69A-AA0D3250B434.jpeg

The next issues are cosmetic and as this guitar was snagged for just under £300 I really shouldn’t be too critical. There is a two inch scratch under the lacquer finish on top bout across from the f hole that's kind of hard to show up on camera. First pic below shows what looks like paint drips where the neck joins the body. Second pic shows the neck pup on quite a down slope (maybe this is normal on this model? ).
There’s also paint drips inside the sloppily painted f holes that are difficult to see on camera.
Lastly the bigsby arm is loose and probably just needs lubricant and tightened as it’s making grinding noises when in use and when swinging the arm out of the way. I've owned a few licensed bigsbys over the years but but this one feels a bit flimsy in comparison. Niggles aside the guitar plays great and sounds great plugged and unplugged. The frets are finished very well and playability is smooth and effortless. The laurel fretboard looks great and is very dark and about the same colour as the rosewood fretboard on my Eastwood classic 12.
Over the years I’ve owned a few semi hollows in the sub £500 bracket and I think I may have been very lucky as fit and finishes in them have always been very good.
For the most part I want to keep this guitar as it plays really well with a very comfortable neck and sounds great to boot. ........or should I exchange it in the hope I get a better finished model. Thoughts please and sorry for the rambling post,

F5CFEF9A-1E8A-4378-969F-F3E461EA38FA.jpeg 9C9BD5B5-25BF-4955-9568-3A08313D0131.jpeg

Attachments

• 0719F1AA-64E6-4811-A0C4-868E92B6033A.jpeg
    0719F1AA-64E6-4811-A0C4-868E92B6033A.jpeg
    16.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

radd

Friend of Fred
Dec 27, 2017
Santa Cruz
If it was mine I would pull out the neck pickup and see what is going on. That pickup should be parallel to the strings.

Actually…Is The pickup ring angled and installed backwards? If it was turned around the ring and pickup Look like they would be parallel with the strings

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
The neck pickup ring should be flat here. Bridge height looks a bit high but still acceptable. The finish under the neck over hang is sloppy.
Lots of (minor) niggles with this guitar, but end of the day it's a 300 Squid guitar... Trade it and the new one might have different issues.

audept

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Dec 1, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Spoke to customer support today who were very helpful and was informed I could return or exchange it for another one as they have a few in store. I ordered online but there's a store about an hour's drive away so have decided to take it back in person and hopefully find a good one.
Good move!

ALS57

Gretschie
Jun 17, 2019
London
I have a UK bought 2420 and the finish is pretty much flawless, good luck with the swop.

Dave B in Scotland made my 2420 bridge which significantly improved the sound. Not sure if he's still doing them though and taking a break https://www.db-guitars.com/

Back in Black

Country Gent
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada
Spoke to customer support today who were very helpful and was informed I could return or exchange it for another one as they have a few in store. I ordered online but there's a store about an hour's drive away so have decided to take it back in person and hopefully find a good one.

2T,

You have made the right decision.

When there is only one left, let that buyer make the only two choices available...buy or walk.

Take advantage of looking at multiple units, and pick the best one...spend some time sorting...don't be in a hurry.

Show us your ''take home'' once you've decided.

This batch is probably some of the first ''post pandemic'' guitars. made. Things are going to be a little wobbly for a while.

Be thankful you're not buying a car...all kinds of horror stories coming out relating to the condition of vehicles from the ''Big Three''. Post Pandemic cars are apparently very rough!!

Best,

BIB

Stingray70

Electromatic
Oct 18, 2021
Michigan
My 2420 is finished very well, especially considering it's price point. I have seen some super cheap 2420Ts that were made as a special discounted run for Guitar Center and whose Quality Control didnt appear to be at the same level as the standard production runs. (I've seen similar special low price GC production runs on Epi 335s and Ibanez RGs) Maybe your 2420 was part of a similar discount price production run...

I looked at the height of my bridge compared to yours and yours does have a couple more threads showing than my 2420 has. Is that an issue? I don't think so as long as it isn't maxed out and there is plenty of travel for a proper setup.

One thing I would suggest that you consider, you said the guitar plays and sounds great and that you got a great deal on it... The next one you get may have other issues and may not be such a good "player," especially if it actually is part of a special lower cost production run or from a batch of factory seconds.

Last edited:

2Tone

Electromatic
Jul 6, 2022
Scotland
My 2420 is finished very well, especially considering it's price point. I have seen some super cheap 2420Ts that were made as a special discounted run for Guitar Center and whose Quality Control didnt appear to be at the same level as the standard production runs. (I've seen similar special low price GC production runs on Epi 335s and Ibanez RGs) Maybe your 2420 was part of a similar discount price production run...

I looked at the height of my bridge compared to yours and yours does have a couple more threads showing than my 2420 has. Is that an issue? I don't think so as long as it isn't maxed out and there is plenty of travel for a proper setup.

One thing I would suggest that you consider, you said the guitar plays and sounds great and that you got a great deal on it... The next one you get may have other issues and may not be such a good "player," especially if it actually is part of a special lower cost production run or from a batch of factory seconds.
You may be on to something there Stingray70. I ended up getting a refund as the other gold dust 2420 I tried in the store also had the same cosmetic issues such as poor binding and sloppy paint work at the neck joint and f holes. Played a candy apple red 2420 at the same store that was pretty much finished perfect but it was priced at £479 compared to the £299 gold dust models so passed on that one. There are always a few lemons that sneak past QC at any guitar company especially in the sub £500 market.
Anyhoo....I ended up ordering a candy apple red 2420t Friday past and it arrived today. It cost me an extra £109 more than the gold dust colour but this one is finished to a very high standard and I'm absolutely delighted with it. The set up, paint job and binding work is top notch and it plays and sounds wonderful, been playing it for hours. Sounds great unplugged too and nearly as loud as a small body acoustic.
Happy Days.🍀👍