NGD - 2006 Country Club finds a forever home ...

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by oneforsorrow, Jul 10, 2020.

1. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    Thanks @Groutsch! I'm very luck indeed. It is a boss guitar for sure. It's a beast! And wide open may be the way to go with it. It's mostly a matter of setting up my rig for both. My main touring amp is the Quilter and it's got two channels that might be arranged to make it all work seamlessly. I may very well end up leaving the pups alone. It occurred to me this evening that TV Classics might make it a little "uptown" which my playing is decidedly not.

2. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Honestly, if I had a Club like yours, I would put in the TV Ray Butts pups. Just me.

I love Classics and HS Filters, but in that baby, it would the RB's all day long. They fit my style of playing.

3. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    Those are the bees knees for sure. If I feel like my playing develops enough finesse, I may look at one of the more refined sounding pickups like those.

G5422T likes this.
  4. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Hey, I've been searching for playing finesse for 55 years and haven't found it! Lol

FWIW, the RB's can handle clean or OD well. Shoot, any open chord sounds heavenly to me.

That said, the HS Filters aren't slouches by any means.

Love those big bodied, long scale Gretsches.

oneforsorrow likes this.
  5. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    What a booty one that beauty! Congrats, on the wife first, gretsch second.

oneforsorrow likes this.
  6. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    Thanks @Henry! They're both keepers for sure.

7. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    I think the more open ones scare me. I can hide a little in the muddy growl :D. But who knows, I may upgrade them somewhere down the line.

8. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    All that matters is your ears are liking what they hear.

My '07 -58 Gent had HS Filters in it until last year. Twelve years of some good sounds.

I put the RB's in it, and I'm liking it more. It better, for what a pair of those cost. Lol

Each have a sound of their own, and each sound good.

oneforsorrow likes this.
  9. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

That guitar looks awesome in green!

10. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    It does doesn't it. I'm so diggin' it.

new6659 likes this.
  11. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    IMO, the long scale neck and that big deep body, add a little something special to the Gretsch Sound.

The more you play it, it'll hit you one day. Hard to describe, but the short scale Gretsches can't duplicate this sound.

Keep picking and grinning with it.

oneforsorrow likes this.
  12. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Mine certainly do.

oneforsorrow likes this.
  13. tdtom

tdtom Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2018
    new zealand
    congrats on your Gretsch. love the green.

14. Hell yeah! A CC with Ray butts what a combo.
    Oh, and congrats on the guitar man awesome, gotta love that green!

15. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Congrats on your new guitar. That`s a beauty, indeed and a perfect guitar to keep forever.
    I think that the stock pickups are great units. Think twice before you swap them.
    Yes, you should put some violin rosin under your bridge to fix it. But I assume that this is not the sole solution for your Bigsby tuning problem. There are several threads on this topic on this forum. You should look them up.
    Mostly the solution is a properly cut and lubricated nut, fresh and well stretched-in strings, very few winds on the tuning-post and things like that.
    Enjoy your wonderful instrument.

16. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Gretschie

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    @oneforsorrow you really start your Gretsch ownership in great style. She definitely is a great looking guitar.
    You've got a great wife there too. Now do something special for the wife, maybe she will start another Gretsch fund.

17. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    Thanks @tdtom!

18. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    Thanks @TheMicster and yes, I love that green!

19. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    Thanks @loudnlousy! I'm digging the stock pups. I'll take a look at the nut later today. It's got a zero fret that appears to be in great shape but in need of a good polish. I'll likely pull the strings, polish the frets, rosin the bridge and examine the nut this weekend. I've done a little poking around the forum on the matter but will do more as well in case there's other things to consider.

loudnlousy likes this.
  20. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    Thanks @Dana Rudd! She's got her eye on a B&G Little Sister with some upgrades so we'll be working to make that happen. It'll be another great sound for us to use and a perfect match for her style.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.