NGD 1999 De Armond M-65

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by drmilktruck, Jul 25, 2020.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I picked this up cheap on Reverb. The seller assured me it had been set up recently and worked great. When I got it, the action was twice as high on one side as the other, so the bass strings buzzed. The volume and tone knobs were wired backwards, so turning them down, turned them up! The pickups were low volume and muffled. I messaged the seller and he gave me a bunch of nonsense, claiming set up is a matter of preference (He prefers buzzing bass strings?) and that the pickups on that model were low output and said, "Case closed."

The body is in near NOS condition, except for some light scratches on the back. Not as heavy as some of the other De Armonds I've played/owned in the past.

I took it to Jonny at Guitar Center and he checked it out, did a proper set up, said the wiring was totally messed up and included duct tape in the circuit, so he completely
    rewired it. I had him put in the Artec FilterTron style pickups that I bought here and it's a new guitar. I love the Aristocrat body shape and with the faux Filters it's like a Guild-Gretsch (Gruild? Guetsch?) There may be some cosmetic changes coming though.

I do intend to pursue making the seller pay for the repairs, as it was not "as described."

IMG_5975.jpeg IMG_5976.jpeg IMG_5977.jpeg IMG_5978.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  2. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Duct tape!? That's a real professional job!
    Looks like it turned out to be a nice guitar.

Jeff67 and drmilktruck like this.
  3. Groutsch

Groutsch Gretschie

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland, US
    Looks great now! I don't know whether you have recourse other than returning a not-as-described guitar for a refund, but it's probably better now than it ever was.

drmilktruck likes this.
  4. CousinWarsh

CousinWarsh Synchromatic

Jun 24, 2018
    Western NY
    Looks like fun, glad you got it straightened out. The seller obviously didn’t deserve that guitar.

5. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    The correct spelling is Grilled. I used to have a beater version that still sported DeArmond 2000's. Added a B5 and had a fine rockabilly machine indeed!

drmilktruck likes this.
  6. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Cool one.

Enjoy it.

drmilktruck likes this.
  7. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Congrats, she looks good now. Good luck with getting anything from the seller.

drmilktruck likes this.
  8. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

Congrats on the new DeArmond guitar, Doc! With the report on the issues, I believe you totally missed telling us about the color. Hmmmm, let me see, that color does look a bit familiar. Is that a shade of blue, Doc? :D

drmilktruck likes this.
  9. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Congrats on the new blue, Jim!

drmilktruck likes this.
  10. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Glad it worked out in the end

drmilktruck likes this.
  11. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Looks brand new. Congrats.

drmilktruck likes this.
  12. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats Doc!

drmilktruck likes this.
  13. JT19

JT19 Gretschie

Nov 28, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Nice!

There was a blue M75 for sale locally not too long ago that I almost bought before lucking into my new G5220 at a ridiculously good price.

Those DeArmonds are very underrated guitars!

14. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Congratulations on your new guitar. Hope the problems you had did not kill the magic.

drmilktruck likes this.
  15. Stefan87

Stefan87 Synchromatic

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nice, congrats, too bad about the issues with the seller, I hope you get something sorted out there or at very least an apology and him owning up to the fact it was misrepresented in the ad.

drmilktruck likes this.
  16. Henrytwang

Henrytwang Synchromatic

Feb 28, 2010
    teignmouth uk
    I bought a M65 at a car boot sale a few years back for just £7 . It was absolutely covered in stickers so nobody was interested in it. I bought some label remover and spent a morning removing all the stickers and was quite surprised to find that the guitar was virtually unmarked underneath. The original humbucking pickups have ceramic magnets and don’t sound great otherwise the guitar is nice to play. Seeing what you’ve done with Filtertons I might modify my guitar, it certainly looks cool.

drmilktruck likes this.
  17. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Unfortunately Reverb said that I couldn't leave feedback as more than 45 days had passed, but they gave me a $10 credit. Nothing from the seller.

18. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Looks great! Just a possible heads- up if you eventually upgrade the pots- I don't know about this model, but on the 2V/ 2T "C" model, full- size pots won't fit in all four holes without some cavity routing. I have the volumes and tones reversed temporarily in my M65C until GFS gets some of the mini- pot version of the harness back in stock.;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.