NGD - 1967 Tennessean 6119

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by 6124Bassman, Apr 5, 2021.

1. tonechaser

tonechaser Newbie

Mar 23, 2021
    Silver City NM
    Gorgeous guitar! Have one very much like yours except the burgundy has turned into tobacco color. Love everything about the guitar except the tone switch. Not sure why gretsch did this??

2. Archtops

Archtops Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Congratulations finding a Beautiful guitar. Great patina overall. Yes get rid of the offending heel cap right away. Best of luck!

3. Dave Murray

Dave Murray Gretschie

Feb 27, 2016
    Indio, CA
    Well, the guitar has been around for 54 years . . . three weeks is a blink of an eye and then, voila! - Perfection. I love the patina on the top.

4. 6124Bassman

6124Bassman Synchromatic

May 20, 2018
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Thanks for the tip, I didn’t know it could spread in that manner. I will remove the heel cap now

5. malc

malc Electromatic

Jun 10, 2020
    Lincoln
    Really lovely guitar. The colour reminds me of Chet's CG. The first one I saw, circa 62, I don't think had the painted F holes. Mind you, I could be wrong. It looks as if it will play well and I love that fat bridge. It's amazing that they turn up in such marvellous condition. Definitely a keeper!

6124Bassman likes this.
  6. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Electromatic

Apr 20, 2017
    NJ
    Great.. I have a twins of your Gretsch and vacuum tube amplifier.
    My Tennessean 127515
    December 1967 515th unit. The only not original part on mine is the pick guard.

7. L Robbins

L Robbins Gretschie

May 3, 2017
    USA
    Wonderful find and truly a treasure. Enjoy!!!

8. Jackrd

Jackrd Electromatic

Nov 27, 2017
    New York NY
    Good advice about replacing the heel cap as soon as you can, but if you have not already done so, let the luthier do it unless you are skilled in this type of thing. You already have a price and a timeframe (which by the way is incredibly cheap and the timeframe is very reasonable presuming your luthier has other work in front of yours. My guy has had my '59 smoke green single Annie for almost two years. I don't care as I have so many guitars and we had the pandemic. And my guy is servicing lots of rock gods, of which I am not one of them. He is doing the full top of the body rebind. Let's hope the other side does not start! Otherwise, the guitar would be mint - as is the case. along with all the original tags, cloth, strap, etc.) I would bet your guitar was kept in the case much of the time. Which as one poster noted is why the guitar is in nice shape.....maybe. It could be because the owner also respected it. But I have about 20 Gretsch guitars and they are NEVER in the case. Nor are my other mid '60's and earlier guitars. They gas out and the entire guitar gets body rot. Keep yours out of the case as much as you can and you may luck out and have no future rot. Unlikely, but, just maybe......
    Anyway, I have one just like yours and they are great playing guitars - even if Harrison said his was like 'playing a toy'. Yeah, I guess it would after having a Gent hanging around your neck for awhile.

6124Bassman likes this.
  9. ffc65

ffc65 Electromatic

Jan 7, 2015
    London
    I bought one in 1988 for £450 but stupidly sold it about 5 years later. Mine had binding rot to the heel cap too and in pre internet days I thought this might mean the neck breaking!!! I've pretty much spent the last 30 years regretting that decision

6124Bassman likes this.
  10. doc538

doc538 Electromatic

Sep 20, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Happy NGD she's sweet

6124Bassman likes this.
  11. Iansheridan1978

Iansheridan1978 Electromatic

Feb 19, 2021
    Surrey
    I'm a bit surprised by how high the bridge pickup is! Isn't this exerting magnetic pull on the strings?

12. 6124Bassman

6124Bassman Synchromatic

May 20, 2018
    Phoenix, Arizona
    It doesn’t seem to be really. These are quite low output pickups so they like to be pretty close to the strings. I think it’s the angle of the photo that makes it look like they’re almost touching. There is a little bit more space between them than the photo appears.

G5422T likes this.
  13. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    HiLo's need to be set close to the strings. That's where they sound the best and sound SO good.

6124Bassman and 65club like this.
  14. 65club

65club Electromatic

Jul 31, 2017
    USA
    100%!!!! I raise the whole pickup until it is just under the surround enough that there’s no gap (space under the strings allowing) and then raise the poles until they’re just short of hitting the strings when pressed at the last fret.

6124Bassman likes this.
  15. Iansheridan1978

Feb 19, 2021
    Surrey
    Ok. I have a new gretsch Hi-lotron in the neck of my Tele. I was pleasantly surprised how well it matches with the bridge...I have a slightly smaller gap than at the bridge, but nothing extreme...

It sounds amazing. Love it.

IMG_20210325_095914115.jpg

6124Bassman likes this.
  16. 6124Bassman

6124Bassman Synchromatic

May 20, 2018
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I’ve never seen a HiloTron in a Tele before, that’s pretty cool! Looks like a great guitar

Iansheridan1978 likes this.
  17. Iansheridan1978

Feb 19, 2021
    Surrey
    Me neither! It came with a Fender Fideli'Tron, but it was too dark sharing 250k with the bridge (and 500k was too bright on the bridge) spent a couple of years not quite happy and then went for for the Hi-Lo a few weeks back....it's perfect now.

Seriously overlooked pickup...they love fuzz and drive, and the cleans are so detailed.

(Some super sloppy playing...)

6124Bassman likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.