NGC Feedback Requests

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Sep 19, 2021.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    **Rant Mode On**

Since I've been selling a lot of things lately I've been asked to provide feedback to buyers via Reverb and eBay. I understand the value in a system like those that rely on users to uphold good deals, so you know who not to buy from. Of course it can be weaponized, in the old days by sellers who'd hold out giving feedback to you as long as you didn't complain about them. Now often the tables are turned, as buyers can threaten sellers with poor feedback over minor things and sellers can't give bad feedback about buyers, even when they refuse to pay.

Where I struggle is in leaving comments. It's one thing to say "Positive, " but then you have to leave a star rating. Anything less than 5 is viewed as negative. Then you have to write a comment. It's not enough to say, "They paid for it immediately and I didn't hear from them again, so I have no complaints." Nope - gotta add, "Pleasure doing business ... A++++++ buyer ..."

It's even worse in the "real world" where every business wants your feedback. I got a survey from my car shop lately. They changed the oil while I waited not longer than I expected, didn't charge more than they said they would and weren't rude. Is that worth a "10?" Shouldn't that be the minimum expectation? I'm all for providing good customer service, but "10" to me implies going above and beyond, exceeding expectations. (My old hospital talked of "delighting the customer." That of course sparked lots of internal jokes about what that might entail exactly ... )

Maybe I'm too Minnesotan (we struggle to give or receive compliments), but it seems to me that just doing what's expected at your job should be a 5, going above that, incrementally worth more depending on what you did. Falling below, similarly downgraded. (The patient experience people at our clinic tells me that 7 is actually the break point. Below that, people will write complaints and tell their friends, so maybe 7 should be the average.)

What do you think?

*** Rant Mode Off ***

audept, new6659 and Intoamartian like this.
  2. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Synchromatic

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    Agree. Too much emphasis on the "perception" of a review, rather than the reality. I rarely leave any comments/reviews unles they actually are a 10/above & beyond, or they really suck. Keeps things simple. Then there's the whole fake review thing.

Shock and drmilktruck like this.
  3. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I think they should pare it down to 3 ratings ; "No Issues" "Got "er Done" "Nope"

Or maybe: "Easy and Done" "Had to resolve something" "Dont do it!"

MrWookiee, Jerzey Bob and drmilktruck like this.
  4. Shock

Shock Gretschie

Sep 7, 2020
    Minnesota
    For me to leave any comment at all, it has to be really good or really bad. But I have done it on occassion. As a rule, I refuse to take the survey and will threaten to cancel a sale if it is mandatory. From what I have found, they are looking for reasons to complain about the employees. Not actually allowed by the survey to critique the product, only the poor employee that is trying to keep their survey score up to get their raise.

Jerzey Bob and drmilktruck like this.
  5. BrianW

BrianW Country Gent

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    I have been askled for reviews of products and service from too many online sellers as well. If I get "above and beyond" delivery, service, or the product exceeds my expectations I will send an email to the vendor directly. The reviews I have read have been less than believable in most cases anyway. I expect to see reviews that cover the scale from 1 to 5 (or 10) for anything - as long as they are not all a negative rating I guess its "average".
    But I do agree that basically fulfilling an order should be expected, and only worth an average rating. Skewing the ratings via the "form" used to leave a rating just makes them worthless, imo.

Jerzey Bob and drmilktruck like this.
  6. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Above and beyond---Da!
    As expected----------Meh.
    Nope-----------------Nyet!

Or just give it alpha grades like in school.
    5 stars should not be given for average service. That's meant for extraordinary effort.
    Can you give negative ratings?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    drmilktruck likes this.
  7. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    The whole review process is self serving, and usually skewed so sellers/businesses are more favorable looking IMO.

General statement, but true in virtually any business that has a rating system.

I've gotten into a habit of looking at reviews and throw out the top 25% and bottom 25% of reviews.

I feel that this gives a better overall view of what is really going on, by eliminating friends/family/schilling, and folks having a personal axe to grind with a company or employee.

May sound stupid, but when I'm dealing with all the the "WWW" that's developed, I'm just not a trusting person.

As far as being pressured or told that a positive review is a must, that's when they see my trusting side. It's not "kinder or gentler" by any standard.

Social Media at it's best and worst is how I feel about reviews.

Unfortunately there's too many of every type of business that IMO, spend more time and effort into assuring good reviews than making their establishment as good as it can be, in reality.

Just my thoughts

wabash slim, drmilktruck and BrianW like this.
  8. BrianW

BrianW Country Gent

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    "Social media at its best and worst".... well put. Unfortunately, and in general terms, I believe that companies are required to show good reviews (therefore the whole review process) or they lose too much business due to the masses bypassing their site if nobody has left any good reviews. I disagree with the process myself because I can't verify the objectivity of the reviewer for one thing - but just like the horrible network TV ads of years ago it seems to be part of the bottom line.

There are exceptions of course. I can think of a few companies I have ordered items from that did not ask for reviews and were outstanding in terms of service etc. Those were by far in the minority, unfortunately.

drmilktruck and G5422T like this.
  9. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Gretschie

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin, US
    I take all reviews cautiously. The ones that get me are the 5 star review with a description of ' arrived today, haven't played it yet' or the 2 star because 'the box got wet in the rain.'

The OP mentioned the work environment. My 'favorite' was a performance review where I demonstrated 'exceeds expectations' including documentation. Mt boss replied, ' I expect you to exceed expectations therefore you met expectations." and gave me a 'meets expectations' review. Hmmm

BrianW and drmilktruck like this.
  10. BrianW

BrianW Country Gent

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    "I expect you to exceed expectations therefore you met expectations." and gave me a 'meets expectations' review. Hmmm"

Brutal. That kind of refusal to acknowledge employee worth is symptomatic of a company run solely by the bottom line; in the short term. Top execs changing jobs every year or two... surely they can't be totally ignorant of the most successful companies that put the employees first. The employees then put the customer experience first.. which leads to profitability. Can't be successful without customers. Seems basic to me.

Now my rant mode off :rolleyes: Back to reviews!

drmilktruck likes this.
  11. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    One of my favorite health care business books is called "Patients Come Second." Often people are put off by the title because of course, "It's all about the patients." But you can't take good care of patients if the staff and clinicians are unhappy and overworked and stressed out. Take care of your people first, so they can take care of patients. Sadly the pandemic has brought out some of the worst in health care management, leaving us short-staffed and many HCW burnt out. Bad workers don't burn out, only good ones do. As a result patients are unhappy too.

BrianW likes this.
  12. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Regarding feedback rating scales on, say, eBay, the answer is just as you said. They only have as much meaning as you assign to them. There’s only one real choice if you found the transaction acceptable, so just ignore the other options as if they were options in a voice activated phone menu. Think of the five star rating as the equivalent of just pressing zero right away without listening and bypassing the nonsense. As far as comments, if they’re required, then just enter something short yet meaningless like “great transaction”.

Regarding the employee review process, getting a “meets expectations” is actually the best possible outcome because the difference between that rating and “exceeds expectations” is usually a .01% raise. Rejoice in the fact that you placed a much higher value on your dignity than all the shameless squeaky wheels in the office.

drmilktruck likes this.
  13. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I like the VRBO method. Renter and landlord have a fixed amount of time to leave reviews and the reviews are hidden until the time has elapsed, so neither party can review based on the other's review.

drmilktruck likes this.
  14. BrianW

BrianW Country Gent

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    I worked at a company that started out with "empowered" employees. What that meant was anyone could do whatever in the name of keeping customers happy. This included giving away free vouchers worth thousands of dollars of company money. The balance was in profit sharing - a percentage of the company's profit was given to the employees every month; and it seemed to keep the giveaways in balance. Also kept the employees from giving anything away that wasn't warranted. (I will assume there was the odd time it did happen, but I never heard of any specific cases) The employees felt they were a part of management and didn't hesitate to stay late, or come in to work just to help out in "emergencies".
    The mantra was "look after the employees, who look after the customers, who will look after the investors." Sadly that philosophy didn't last, as upper management changed and evolved their goals became focussed on being an X billion dollar company instead of being the best at what they did. It took several years but unions, labour issues etc etc etc were the final result. Along with with losing business to competitors in long established markets.

I can believe that "patients come second." I have seen and been involved with the other side of the coin.

drmilktruck likes this.
  15. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Gretschie

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin, US
    We may be highjacking the thread but.. the company that I worked for that gave me the 'exceeds' means 'meets' was bought out. I worked for 4 companies and still had the same office. Good times. Anyway, 'exceeds' company granted raises based on those reviews. The next company did away with that (and cost of living raises) and we were left with our 'market value' of our skill set and bonuses based on adding value/saving money. Being in IT, it was hard to save the millions that they were looking for. Seven years of no raises or cost of living and I retired out at first chance. Now they struggle with hiring or keeping younger workers. Go figure.

As for the medical field, an 'efficiency team' reviewed processes at the hospital where I had a bypass. They fired my cardiologist's nurse and had him entering patient info instead. The cardiology team left and started their own clinic.

drmilktruck likes this.
  16. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I don't trust reviews. They are usually biased, untruthful and untrustworthy. Color me cynical.

drmilktruck likes this.
  17. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    That's very common. Administrators forget that physicians are the most expensive employee they have. Requiring them to do low value unreimbursed work that could be done by others is highly inefficient. In that time they could be seeing more patients or doing more operations, making more money for the organization. Apple doesn't expect Tim Cook to be doing computer data entry during the work day. Jeff Bezos isn't calling customers or filling out their leave papers. Elon Musk isn't washing cars.

audept likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.