NGC Favorite Childhood Foods

drmilktruck

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Double Platinum Member
May 17, 2009
Plymouth, MN
Tonight I made Hot Dogs in Pillsbury Crescent Rolls for Mrs MT and I, channeling a favorite meal from when I was a kid. (We called them Pigs in a Blanket, but then used the same name for breakfast with pancakes and sausages.)

spwrps-crescent-dogs.jpg

What childhood meals did you like that might not pass nutritional muster in 2022?

MentalTossFlycoon

Gretschie
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2018
Texas
Homemade Ice cream. Our family would have Ice Cream Socials on weekends. My parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents all had ice cream makers. One part of the family would make ice cream and call the others over for a social. I think I still have my White Rock Triple Action in storage somewhere.

Emergence

Synchromatic
Gold Supporting Member
May 25, 2022
New York
Chinese take out. Start with an egg roll and egg drop soup. Then the main course, Chow Mein as it was served in the ‘50s. Put rice in the bottom of a spaghetti bowl. Add crispy Chinese noodles. Put chicken chow mein over that. Add soy sauce, mix it up, and eat it with a fork. Pistachio ice cream and Chinese tea for desert. Today I’d say gag me with a spoon but I loved it as a six year old.

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
French fries with mayonnaise. We had it once a month, but I know Dutch families where it’s a weekly staple. If they are health conscious they might replace the mayo with apple sauce, green peas, and a Shnitzel, some roasted chicken or beef.

radd

Friend of Fred
Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2017
Santa Cruz
Tacos, home made. The corn tortillas were folded over with the ground beef in side and cooked in oil……Then when they were so crisp you could barely pull the two sides apart to add the cheddar cheese and taco sauce you ate them with all the wonderful grease dripping down your chin.

The other thing I remember tasting wonderful was taking a chunk of beef my dad just carved off the full side of beef we picked up from the stock yards that was laying across our kitchen table and putting it through the hand operated meet grinder and eating it raw after putting salt on it….Probably not that good for ya and risky…But yummy

08A9F1D9-382B-438F-8144-3A2D3BC9822A.jpeg

Last edited:

ramjac

Country Gent
Aug 14, 2011
Wisconsin
My kids won’t touch any of the foods we loved at their age. Campbell’s soup, Spaghetti Os, Van Kamp’s Pork & Beans, “Turkey Ham”, Jello Poke Cake with Cool Whip, Hormel Chili. They have nothing against what are labeled today as “processed” foods. They just don’t like the same processed foods.

They do love the Pillsbury Crescent Rolls, though, Doc, but not with hot dogs or Little Smokies. They like to wrap them around Frigo string cheese and sliced pepperoni.

AZBrahma

Synchromatic
Dec 18, 2020
Arizona
French fries with mayonnaise. We had it once a month, but I know Dutch families where it’s a weekly staple. If they are health conscious they might replace the mayo with apple sauce, green peas, and a Shnitzel, some roasted chicken or beef.

I had to laugh about the replacements for the health conscious, considering that frying potatoes creates known pathogenic compounds. I'm thinking they might want to replace the fries!

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
I've heard and seen and tried all sorts of dips for fries. Mustard, mayo, and that Canadian favorite, poutine. Try 'em with malt vinegar like the British.
Tacos, home made. The corn tortillas were folded over with the ground beef in side and cooked in oil……Then when they were so crisp you could barely pull the two sides apart to add the cheddar cheese and taco sauce you ate them with all the wonderful grease dripping down your chin.

The other thing I remember tasting wonderful was taking a chunk of beef my dad just carved off the full side of beef we picked up from the stock yards that was laying across our kitchen table and putting it through the hand operated meet grinder and eating it raw after putting salt on it….Probably not that good for ya and risky…But yummy

View attachment 191407
I grew up in a Polish butcher shop making kielbasa.
My kids won’t touch any of the foods we loved at their age. Campbell’s soup, Spaghetti Os, Van Kamp’s Pork & Beans, “Turkey Ham”, Jello Poke Cake with Cool Whip, Hormel Chili. They have nothing against what are labeled today as “processed” foods. They just don’t like the same processed foods.
I grew up on a lot of that.
I was drinking pickle-juice before it was trendy.
Dad always had a crock of dill pickles in brine. I'm probably still ahead of my salt intake for life.

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
Mom's home made won ton soup (with help from us kids) but it is not bad for you.

We didn't have dessert often, but our family was infamous for eating ice cream out of soup bowls - and I don't mean those plates with delusions of grandeur common in the West but giant noodle soup bowls you'd be served in an Asian restaurant.

And of couse cereal on weekends. If we didn't have the the candy type of cereal, we would use Quik and have it with chocolate milk . . . and add out own sugar.

emgee254

Gretschie
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 24, 2020
California
Ramjac mentioned Jello Poke Cake -- mmm, miss that! Usually with lemon or lime jello.

Some favorites: Quisp cereal, Screaming Yellow Zonkers, Snackpak Dark Chocolate pudding.

My mother would fry slices of Spam in grape jelly -- not my favorite but it made the Spam edible.