Newbie...Buying advice

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by btravis77, Dec 3, 2021.

1. btravis77

btravis77 Newbie

Dec 1, 2021
    california
    I grew up in the 50’s so I love a Twangy Guitar. I am considering a used 6120-1959. The price is $2000 which seems to be a fair price. Having just gone through a horrible ordeal with an online guitar purchase and having to return the guitar and finally getting MOST of my money back from an idiot who sent me a “MINT” guitar that a badly warped and twisted neck I am very hesitant to buy used online ever again. So, I am reading about what seems to be so many variables in the 6120 what do I look for as far as bracing and pickups. The seller is local so I can go play it and check it out in person. Does the fact that it is a 6120-1959 tell me everything I need to know regarding bracing and pickups etc? Should I get the serial number? Will the serial number give me all the data I need about the guitar? I know the bottom line is do I like the sound and feel of the guitar but if there are thing to look out for I would like to know in advance. I am hoping the seller will agree to go to my luthiers and let him check it out. Thanks for any info or advice anyone may have. I just recently traded a new Fender Twin Reverb Tone Master for a Fender Blues Deluxe so I can’t wait to plug it into my new BD. I love that amp! Thanks

thunder58 and Archtops like this.
  2. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Welcome aboard! Best of luck on the 6120.

3. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    The model number tells you most of what you need to know. It is a reissue based on a 6120 from the 1959/60 era. There is an LVT model (it will say g6120-1959LVT on the paper label inside the f-hole) and that has a lacquer finish with TV Jones pickups. But in any case, you'll get a trestle braced Gretsch with Filtertrons.

The serial number will tell you where and when it was made but nothing about the specs.

Go and play it.

4. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to GT btravis!

Ya can't go wrong with a 6120 sir.

5. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    IMO, the 6120-59LTV and current 6120-59 VS are the best 6120 modern creations of a late '50's 6120.

Simply outstanding instruments.

Best of luck.

6. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Welcome friend .
    I have a 6120-1959 ( no LTV ) I bought brand new in 2012 . It is a 2006 guitar that sat in stock for 6 years ...he had 2 of them , mine and a blue one . Guy at the store opened the box in front of me and ripped off the plastic bag that wrapped the case . ( the top of the box also had those big copper staples in it ) I got the best of the bargain back then at $2000 . My serial number states JT06****** ( JT ) Terrada , Japan , ( 06 ) 2006 , ***** month , number off assembly line ..blah blah blah . Member @bluenote23 above explained it very well
    Here's mine ......
    IMG_0009.JPG

Gregor, Archtops and new6659 like this.
  7. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
  8. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Ive a feeling you are going to have yerself a 6120 pretty soon. Unless its damaged. Best of luck and welcome to GT

9. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Can you put up pictures of your intended? promise we won't swipe her out from under you.

10. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Welcome to the forum and best of luck with the 6120!

11. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Hello and welcome to GT, good to have you here.

Hopefully you will bond with the 6120T-59 when you go to check it out.

I have a limited edition of the -59, G6120T-DCH-LTD it's a dark cherry color and a very nice guitar.

Good luck on your quest. Will be waiting for a NGD post soon.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.