New winds blowing...

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by JHowdy, Sep 10, 2021.

1. +1 Without out a doubt, that's half the battle right there.

mrfixitmi and JHowdy like this.
  2. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Sure I'll share as soon as I find the hiding talent in me :D. But seriously, there are some videos in youtube from my previous two bands. No haters so far, except one who kept on hating us in the beginning and I have a hunch who that was. Never mind him. But not too many people have liked us either and that does tell a story, ha.

I know that this is a friendly forum, but stuffed with incredible talents and that really makes me shy ;). I'm no Setzer, I'm just a poor country hick who got all his guitars too late in his life.

But yes, as we get things rolling and the band starts to sound good enough I'll let you guys know :).

JC higgy, Trash Kidd and mrfixitmi like this.
  3. Gretschzilla

Gretschzilla Gretschie

Apr 20, 2021
    Saint Paul, MN USA
    If your band sounds half as good as that guitar looks, y'all will be making Fire Marshalls nervous wherever you go. Have fun and all the best!

4. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

Congrats on finding your new bandmates! May the new winds be breezy and refreshing as you move ahead.

5. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Gretschie

Jan 22, 2019
    Colorado
    Sounds to me like "New Winds Blowing" is a great band name...

6. O Riley

O Riley Synchromatic

Great news brother. Hope things build up some speed!
    Speaking of names though, a friend who is moving back to Montana from the Big Island, where he never really liked living there in the first place, but his wife loved it, anyway...

...he and a friend of his are doing a fare well at a local open mike, and in stead of doing the normal acoustic guitar stuff, ~ their breaking out with twin purple Marshall half stacks and Les Paul's set on stun! ~

Their Name,
    ~The Louder Bros.~
    :D

7. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Thanks! They really live up to their band name :D. Our previous band was called Draggin' Bros by the way and we weren't drag racing or wearing funny clothes either...:D:D

mrfixitmi and O Riley like this.
  8. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    In fact they have been refreshing! Some of my old songs have already taken a new angle and not for the worse I think... it does look promising although we've got a lot to learn yet. The other two players are not "rockabillies", although one of them said he likes the music and always has wanted to play it. And the other one does his playing with a smile, too :).

mrfixitmi and LivingMyDream like this.
  9. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Indeed it would be! We haven't progressed on that yet, our preliminary name would be a great one too for a garage rock or punk band, but I was hoping for a more traditional name. We'll see.

mrfixitmi and rockymtnguitar like this.
  10. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Gretschie

Sep 11, 2009
    Venice, CA
    Finding good players who also love your songs is a huge blessing. I really hope this new wind enhances all of your lives.

11. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    My gear tonight: the Tweed Deluxe, Gretsch, Shure 55 and the pedalboard stuffed with Nocturne pedals in front of the picture. All that larger stuff in the background belong to someone else.

You know what? Tonight I had the first proper change to use the Ubangi Stomp that I've had about three years. We did Jack Scott's classic The Way I Walk, but in 1978 Robert Gordon - Link Wray style. It was such fun, I really exceeded my limits, bang! came the walls tumbling down. I'm not saying that I was as good as Robert or Link of course, but it did not sound bad at all. The fun about this piece was two times bigger as both I and the bass player came to think that this song could suit us, without knowing what the other one thinks :).

I'm very happy now!

upload_2021-9-15_19-56-0.png

upload_2021-9-15_20-2-5.png

12. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    That sounds cool. Have a good start!

13. SAguitar

SAguitar Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2020
    Jack Plate, Oregon
    Most awesome! There is a New Wind in your future, and it looks good.

14. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Great taste in music, keep the wind in your sails, you are on your way!

JHowdy likes this.
  15. afire

afire Country Gent

I honestly don't think I've picked up a guitar since my last gig, and that's been a year now. I had about a 10 year span, between the ages of 19 and 29, when I wasn't playing in a band (too busy doing other things irresponsible people in that age bracket do). I entertained myself recreating my favorite songs, playing all instruments. But since I started gigging, I pared down my gear to pretty much nothing but a guitar and amp. If the gigs don't come back, I'll have to look at starting to record by myself again. Just picking up a guitar and playing for my own enjoyment has never really appealed to me. And I haven't really practiced since I was a teenager.

16. Bob Perrone

Bob Perrone Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    allentown, pa
    BEST OF LUCK! I, FOR ONE, AM SICK OF JUST PLAYING WITH MYSELF...
    oh my...that didn't sound right....

NowEarThis, mrfixitmi and JHowdy like this.
  17. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    I had an almost two year pause in band playing, among other things....

But you could make a good rock song of all that... :D

mrfixitmi and Archtops like this.
  18. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Congrats on getting a band together and that beautiful Gretsch. Best of luck on all levels!

19. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Today was our very first performance for a small group of guests. The celebration was on our bassist's birthday and the guests were his friends and former colleagues. So it was a private party, but as for me they were all strangers. They really liked our music, sound and playing. Nice! And for a very first gig for tje two months + old band it all went very well, remembering we aren't professionals.

The band's got a name now, it's called Crawfish Alley. There's a long story behind the name, but put it short, our bassist used to work in restaurants and wanted something food related. You can find us in FB and IG if you like. Not much content there yet, but we're working on it.

rockymtnguitar and mrfixitmi like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.