New White G5120 Available again in the US

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by SuperB23, Apr 15, 2012.

1. SuperB23

SuperB23 Gretschie

Jan 5, 2009
    Bay Area California
    I noticed this listing today when browsing ebay. For a long time these have been somewhat hard to get your hands on. I've seen them for sale in England. I've had mine for a couple years now and I have highly upgraded. I love it and I would be hard pressed to let it go. I thought I'd share this link incase anyone is looking for one. I have no affiliation with the shop selling these. It says they have 5.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/29069802157...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1523wt_1156

2. Teledriver

Teledriver Synchromatic

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    Saw this at Musician's Friend.
    Just me or are these gorgeous?

My wife was looking over my shoulder and said (NO! You chose the color [orange] now stick to it!). She knows I've stripped more than 1 guitar and re-colored/finished it...but is not aware of the TV Jones' I got coming....shhhh..
    CRAP, litterly, she just came in here and said "you're ordering one arn't you?". No the $$ is going to the TVs.....but had I known???

3. acousticplays

acousticplays Gretschie

Jan 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I wish they brought back the white Pro Jets...

4. Hitonedaddyo

Hitonedaddyo Gretschie

I bought one of the white 5120's when they first re issued thru guitar center a few months ago. And as nice as they look in white, it was way too fat in the body and the gretsch buckers sound like POO!!! For $900 after tax, shipping and warranty. Totally not worth putting another cpl hundred into it for tv jones.
    Once you've reached the $800 mark, you might as well put that towards a pro line model. With Craigslist and eBay, it's easy to find a decent gretsch for under $1,200. No sense in fooling yourself into spending nearly a grand for a crappy guitar. You can't polish a turd.
    But they do look sweet in white on chrome.

5. HooDooPhonix

HooDooPhonix Electromatic

Feb 13, 2012
    I have had a Tennessee rose a rrh6120 and 2 5120 and I completely disagree the rose had trestle bracing so it was unique in timbre but I prefer my black 6120 that I modded over the RHH I had stock. The RHH was 3000 my 5120 shook down at about 1000 I like my 5120 for a variety of reasons, solid aluminum bridge, same trons I could scuff the neck without worrying about it. And the tone is awesome, the poly bodie is immune to mosquito spray. I could go on and on my recordings with that 5120 everyone asks what my rig was and it was nothin but a 5120 MODDED and my orange amp.

6. Hitonedaddyo

Hitonedaddyo Gretschie

For me the body was too bulky, uncomfortable for me, but like I said, I wouldn't spend more just to put tv jones in it. I'd rather just buy a quality one with the tv jones already. That's just me, all I was saying. The gretsch buckers make me horff. I run thru a fender tone master, and all my gretschs (g5129,g6118t,g6120shp, white penguin, silver falcon) all sound great. But the 5120 gretsch buckets and my g3161 gretsch buckers I dislike very much.

7. fender62custom

fender62custom Gretschified

Mar 3, 2012
    Helidon, Australia
    Nice guitar..good value!!

8. lukez8513

lukez8513 Gretschie

Dec 27, 2011
    I have one I finished modding this winter. Great guitar with the right upgrades. I went with tv jones classics, rocking bar bridge, gfs locking tuners, and hot rod wiring
    image-862658830.jpg

9. lukez8513

lukez8513 Gretschie

Dec 27, 2011
    Oh and I got mine used from musicians friend for 470.00

10. Was that recent, or during the initial wave? Great price!

11. lukez8513

lukez8513 Gretschie

Dec 27, 2011
    I got it in early January, it was made in 2011

12. MacStevenXIII

MacStevenXIII Synchromatic

Jan 9, 2009
    Boston
    Did they sell out at some point? I thought they were available at MF starting around last year sometime? I know the White 512x are hard to find.

Anyway, They're currently in stock and selling for $749.99 at Musician's Friend.

13. SuperB23

SuperB23 Gretschie

Jan 5, 2009
    Bay Area California
    For me I love the White Chrome Combo. I've owned a lot of White Falcons and I've told my wife if they ever make a White Falcon with Chrome hardware I'll will have to spring for one. I know you can get one from the US Custom Shop but I can't afford that kind of scratch! But a nice Japan made one for under $3k would be it for me.

I put an all chrome B6 bigsby on mine with TV Jones Classics, straplocks, and upgraded bridge. I still need to upgrade the nut. I love it I get compliments on it almost everyweek when I play out with it.

14. Anni_Lover

Anni_Lover Synchromatic

Jul 17, 2009
    New Zealand
    They already thave this model, although it appears to be an "Australia only" model like the sparkle Annies are "Japan only":

[​IMG]

Here are the details:

http://www.gretsch.com.au/featured/chrischeney/

15. PDogga

PDogga Gretschie

Jul 3, 2011
    Perth
    Nice guitar but that aint in the "under $3K" budget by about $4K.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.