New Vintage Guitar Project

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by drmilktruck, Sep 24, 2020.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    The reason I was looking at the online store for Guild was this project guitar which arrived today. 1958 Guild M-65 3/4 Freshman. It’s the Guild equivalent of the Gretsch Rambler. This husk has already been stripped and primed by the previous owner. He also filled in a modified neck pickup rout. He decided he didn’t have enough time to finish the job. Neck is straight, frets are a bit worn, but will do for now. He got a little paint on the fretboard also so that will have to be sanded off. A true hollow body, it weighs 3 lbs. 4 oz.!

My plan isn’t finalized yet. I’m thinking of going with a Reissue DeArmond Rhythm King pickup, which is fretboard mounted, so I don't need to cut into the top. Or a Dyna in the usual neck position. Guild pickguard. Volume and tone controls with Guild knobs. Output jack on the side. Floating bridge and Guild tail piece. Maybe gold, going for an Aristocrat vibe. Paint it some shade of blue of course! Will look for a Guild headstock sticker. Alternatively I might look to reuse the ebony parts from my Blue 6120JR.

F1A40779-151B-483E-9C7A-F2516326E376.jpeg 4450E27D-212A-43B4-BFEC-76506C91C717.jpeg 66BEAA68-F458-43BE-99BA-4A32B960629B.jpeg 31EF4F3B-CECC-4CD3-9B4A-AB0086BF3C70.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    pesimax, dak55, JC higgy and 9 others like this.
  2. Teledriver

Teledriver Gretschie

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    Is there binding on body or just in need of some sanding? Not familiar with the Guilds.

3. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    There is binding, which I'll have to scrape. The primer needs sanding and then painting.

Here's what it would have looked like in 1958:

[​IMG]

4. Teledriver

Teledriver Gretschie

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
  5. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Probably. I've used ReRanch spray cans on projects before and it's worked well.

6. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Great project. It'll be a nice git when done.

drmilktruck likes this.
  7. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Can't wait to see how this turns out!

drmilktruck likes this.
  8. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

This will be an interesting thread!

drmilktruck likes this.
  9. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Looks like a great project! Looking forward to the pics!

drmilktruck likes this.
  10. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Cool find, I've been on the lookout for a 1957 birth year project I can get for less than an arm and a leg.

drmilktruck likes this.
  11. LongJohn

LongJohn Synchromatic

Apr 22, 2016
    Queens, NY
    First reaction... Rhythm King pick up for sure, the nut looks like a replacement is in order ..... Grover tuners? Navy to Sky Blue 4 tone Burst?

drmilktruck likes this.
  12. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I like what you're saying for the top. I was thinking about a burst.

13. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I've got a '65 model of this guitar that I rescued. Unfortunately, someone had ventilated the top for an additional neck pickup (looks like he was trying to put in a Tele pickup) and a handful of switches and controls. I've got to figure out how to patch all of the extra holes. Paid a whole $75 for it, so I'm not out too much money one way or the other. I just don't have the woodworking skills to fix all of the holes. I have all of the hardware original to it, and got a GFS version of a Dyna for the bridge. At this point, I'm trying to figure out just what to do with it.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  14. LongJohn

LongJohn Synchromatic

Apr 22, 2016
    Queens, NY
    Taking a second look, a 3 tone would probably work better, like the Jazzmaster burst, Black to Orange to Amber, but in Blue shades.

drmilktruck likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.