New versus Used?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by pete12string, Aug 13, 2021.

1. pete12string

pete12string Electromatic

Aug 7, 2021
    New Jersey
    This will be my first Gretsch. I don't have the chance to go try them out. Nobody has them around here. So, truthfully, I'm not sure what I want! :D

Randy99CL and calebaaron666 like this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I forgot .... your first Gretsch . So let all of us turn you onto rocky at StreetSounds . Biggest Gretsch dealer on the East coast . It's in Brooklyn . Depending how far you are in that great State of jersey , it might be worth the trip . Give them a call and see what they have ... even used . Kid in a candy shop :)
    https://www.streetsoundsnyc.com

section2, Archtops and pete12string like this.
  3. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I bought all but 2 of the Gretschs I’ve owned online without trying them first. Many will tell you that’s risky, but I’ve had great luck with it.
    I bought both my White Falcon and my 6120 on reverb without trying them first.
    I have no regrets! Both are amazing!

4. jvin248

jvin248 Electromatic

May 16, 2017
    Near Detroit

What's the 'manufacturer warranty' worth when you get shipped a floor model from the big retailers as 'new'?

Just go with used. Then have 'your guy' do a full setup like a Custom Shop guitar and you are on your way. If there is a scratch then you don't cry about it neither.

Craig Encinitas and pete12string like this.
  5. Craig Encinitas

Craig Encinitas Gretschie

May 3, 2021
    Encinitas, Ca
    This is sound advice. I’ve been eyeing two (new) guitars that are each available at such a ridiculous discount, I’m thinking I need to buy both of them.*

*Need to buy a “want”. :confused:

pete12string likes this.
  6. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    I was there about 20 months ago when I got a great sale price on a G2622 Streamliner. That broke the ice (for less than $400) and I was lucky to get into the Gretsch family for that cheap. I now own three fantastic models and none were expensive.

Gretsch is unlike any other brand, there are tons of models with only numbers for names and it takes a while to learn the differences (and which you may want).
    DynaSonics and Filtertrons and Broadtrons...???

There is nothing wrong with buying maybe an Electromatic hollowbody or centerblock like a G5420 or G5622 for less than $1K to break into the brand and Gretsch sound.
    No way I would spend a bunch for the G6xxx series without tons of research and trying a few out.

A forum member, Jack Fossett, has many great videos that may help you get started: jack fossett gretsch - YouTube

Johnny ray, pmac11, thunder58 and 3 others like this.
  7. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    I bought my Player’s Edition Broadkaster used and it’s one of the nicest guitars I own. Another point is, with used, it may have already had a great setup.

8. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Very good point.

Looking back at all the guitars that I've sold, they were set up well.

I didn't bond, or wanted something else that popped up, and off they went.

Never sold a turd, buyers were always pleased.

Not every used guitar is like that, but I'm betting there's plenty out there.

9. pete12string

Aug 7, 2021
    New Jersey
    For buying on Reverb.com, is it better to pay using PayPal or with a credit card directly to Reverb?

Archtops likes this.
  10. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    I think Reverb quit accepting PayPal??

pete12string likes this.
  11. pete12string

Aug 7, 2021
    New Jersey
    24F90DD7-A248-49F9-B052-D5D16ED8B229.jpeg Bought a used G6210T-55 from Reverb.

12. pete12string

Aug 7, 2021
    New Jersey
    Looks like I have that option. I usually prefer PayPal but was wondering if there is some fine print about refunds or something. I looked and I was planning on PayPal unless someone has some reasons not to.

Archtops and G5422T like this.
  13. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Lovely grain pattern, congrats Pete!

Archtops and pete12string like this.
  14. offhand35

offhand35 Electromatic

Wow, that is gorgeous! Congratulations!

Archtops and pete12string like this.
  15. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa

I use PP. Maybe it was the Reverb store that I was looking at that didn't accept it.

Not really a PP fan, but it works and has another level of mitigation if needed.

Best of luck

pete12string likes this.
  16. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

You chose a real beauty - enjoy!

pete12string likes this.
  17. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Congrats. That's sweet.

pete12string likes this.
  18. pete12string

Aug 7, 2021
    New Jersey
    I think I got a good deal. What's a fair price for a used one of these in mint condition (it's a 2020)?

thunder58 likes this.
  19. pete12string

Aug 7, 2021
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the tip! I took your suggestion and searched for a G6120T-55. I was starting to lean away from the P90 neck pickup and decided I wanted 2 single coils. And this has the TV Jones T-Armond single-coil pickups. I'm very happy I got one of these!
    :D

20. pete12string

Aug 7, 2021
    New Jersey
    Anybody know what kind of bracing these (G6120T-55) have? I can't find anything on that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.