New versus Used?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by pete12string, Aug 13, 2021.

1. pete12string

pete12string Electromatic

Aug 7, 2021
    New Jersey
    I’ve been shopping for a 6120 EC. Found a new one for a decent price.
    What do you think of the top on this one? Even though it’s new, I’m not crazy about how the top looks. I saw a couple of used EC’s in excellent condition and the tops are much nicer. Used price are between $200 and $400 cheaper - but they don’t have the manufacturer warranty.
    CC074DDD-D8B8-4BC7-BFFB-4650D4F27A10.jpeg
    ECB916CD-0CF0-4991-90B9-4AD22D693299.jpeg

Here’s the less expensive used one. I’m not so sure that this top is any better..
    412C1FE2-23B0-4938-8251-FB4DDE5FEE27.jpeg

And this is the used one that’s about $200 cheaper than new. The top looks nice to me, but it’s not much cheaper than new. This also had Seymour Duncan Custom Shop pickups installed. Original pickups are included.
    666DB41C-7505-499B-952E-FA51555E76FC.jpeg
    2A0006F4-81CC-416B-8932-2E042F05C480.jpeg

Need some opinions on the ones I’m looking at. Let me know what you think!
    :D

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
    maloburro and Craig Encinitas like this.
  2. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    The first pic has that dark streak above the F hole... other than that I dont see much difference.... I kinda like the wood grain in that one a bit better, but not wild about that streak...

pete12string likes this.
  3. pete12string

Aug 7, 2021
    New Jersey
    It’s difficult to see but besides that dark streak above the f hole, there are 2, longer, thinner streaks that run parallel to the Bigsby. The grain on the lower bouts look “splotchy” to me. That “splotchy” look is also on the first used guitar’s photo. Turns out, their serial numbers are consecutive - from the same batch…

4. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    When I buy new, I want to get what I want. When I buy used, I want to get a good deal for the research I've done.

Now Duncan Dynas are not cheap but I don't think they would warrant making the used guitar a good deal for me.

You can't always get what you want when you want it. Sometimes you just have to wait for the right opportunity.

5. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Imo $200 is not a material amount in the long run for the right guitar that you plan to keep. A proline is basically a luxury product, no one needs it, so if you can afford it get what you want.

Used or new, I buy only what I want to buy. I don't go shopping to buy money (which is essentially what you are doing if you choose something different based on price).

6. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    How a top "looks" is subjective and a personal preference.

The "cost" only matters if you get the one you like.

20200722_211412.jpg 20200113_152322.jpg 20191101_161608.jpg

Best of luck with your quest.

Bertotti, RGS265, Rmccamey and 6 others like this.
  7. pete12string

Aug 7, 2021
    New Jersey
    section2, Craig Encinitas and G5422T like this.
  8. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    To me , that's $200-400 in your pocket . As far a a manufactures warranty ....... when was the last time you bought a guitar that went bad ? What actually does Gretsch stand by and for how long . My Martins are warranted for workmanship for life just as long as I'm the original owner . There registered with Martin for the warrantee to be effective . Does Gretsch offer that ???? Don't get me wrong , I'm die hard Gretsch ( and Martin ) .
    I remember one time a salesman at my local music store told me when he worked at the " big box store " they were told to push the warrantee . Sales pitch was " well what if a pick up goes bad " . Like he said to me , " when was the last time a pick up went bad " . You can buy an original '59 Les Paul , plug it in , sounds great ... 'cause the pick ups still work . There magnets . Magnets start to go bad after about 100 years .

New or used ... just as long as you like it

Robbie, new6659, Archtops and 4 others like this.
  9. capnhiho

capnhiho Country Gent

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    Have you played all three? Since there’s not a lot of difference between the grain in the tops, I’d base my decision on playability and tone….

10. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Synchromatic

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    With a top like that in your collection, it's easier for you to say! :) That top is.....beyond words....

11. Mellowcat

Mellowcat Gretschie

Aug 22, 2013
    VA
    The tops on the EC models are usually on the plain side in my experience. If you want a better looking top, then maybe consider the G6120T-55. The upgrades to the used one are great, and the SD bridge pickup is wonderful. Make an offer if it's priced too high. I have an EC with similar upgrades.

Archtops and pete12string like this.
  12. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Oh BTW - do you really think this is a big savings ?? I would tend to think the savings should be more .
    Example - I see a used Tennessee Rose on Reverb going for $1699.00 and a brand new one sells on average for $2400.00 . That's a difference of almost $700 . A lot more then the predicted $400

13. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    The wood part of the top looks great to me.
    Only part I don't like is the P-90 dog eared pup.
    They always look cheap n nasty to me on any guitar - plus they're too big :D

14. pete12string

Aug 7, 2021
    New Jersey
    :D No such luck. Nothing in the stores anywhere near me. I have to rely solely on photos, descriptions and other people's reviews...

I'm now even wondering if I would be better served with a different model. More of a "plain" Chet Atkins 6120 with HS Filtertrons. Can anybody tell me what model this is?
    Screenshot 2021-08-13 171127.jpg

Archtops and Craig Encinitas like this.
  15. pete12string

Aug 7, 2021
    New Jersey
    True. Lately, a lot of used prices seem high! On top of that there is shipping - and sales tax!

thunder58 likes this.
  16. Ashley1983

Ashley1983 Gretschie

Aug 9, 2020
    England
    I always buy used as over the years I have a habit of buying and selling though my main two at the moment I can’t see me ever getting rid of.

my personal opinion is if it’s a model tat you can’t buy second hand then I’d go new but if it’s a model or spec of model that you can buy used I would hold out. I think the key of buying used is hang out for the right deal and right model and not be desperate and you’ll normally find you’ll get what you want at a good deal

17. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Right now is the worst time I've seen to buy guitars (or about anything), but it may be better than what is coming. No one has a crystal ball but some are predicting things getting worse (high demand, higher prices) for the near future.
    I don't have much money so haven't been buying since last year when the sales stopped and prices went up.

But if you really want it and can afford it right now then jump on it! Who knows how long you would have to wait to get a better deal.

Edit: and BTW I love the Dynasonics and I love P-90s but I would want a model with 2 Dynas. At that price range I could only afford one and the Dynas are my favorite.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
  18. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    With that little of a difference in price relative to the new price, I'd certainly be going for the one that I liked the most all around after playing them/handling them in person myself.

section2, Archtops and pete12string like this.
  19. pete12string

Aug 7, 2021
    New Jersey
    What's the feeling about the Players Edition models?

20. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    If you’re already willing to spend top dollar for a pro-Gretsch, it’s best to get the one you want!
    You’ll be happier that way.

Johnny ray, pmac11, Shock and 5 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.