New Versions of Songs

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, May 31, 2020.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I was listening last night to an Apple Music playlist of the top rock hits of 1986. I'd forgotten that the Police released a new version of Don't Stand So Close to Me that year. (Cleverly titled with 86 added.) It was a more downbeat version of their 1980 number 1 hit. It didn't do so well on the charts topping out in the UK at 24 and 46 in the US. It was released to coincide with a greatest hits compilation.

It seems like a pretty lame cash in, to re-record one of your biggest hits just to sell more copies of your greatest hits album. Admittedly jazz folks do it frequently but it's less common in rock and pop.

Can you think of other artist re-records, both good and not so good?

ishtar likes this.
  2. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Marianne Faithfull did a few ... her earliest ones, Sister Morphine, As Tears Go By and maybe a few more, some time in the eighties I think, with the rapidly aged voice she has since about 1979.

They were pubished on a bonus CD of a reissue of ... Broken English or ... might look it up later, I'm not sure.

They were pretty good, actually, I prefer them over the original recordings.

drmilktruck likes this.
  3. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I think Taylor Swift has threatened will record all her old albums because she doesn't own the masters.

pilgrim, thunder58 and drmilktruck like this.
  4. ishtar

ishtar Country Gent

Joni Mitchell re-did a lot of her songs later in her career. Bill Frisell re-works a lot of old tunes and has allowed them to clearly evolve, mature. When Dylan's Live at Budokan came out in 79 or 80, some fans didn't like his new 'Las Vegas orchestrated versions.' I guess live renditions are different that re-worked and studio recorded... I love a great live performance. I love another take on an old theme.

drmilktruck likes this.
  5. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Jeff Lynne re recorded a lot of ELO's hit's ,no idea why ,i still prefer the original stuff.

As did Chris Rea.

drmilktruck likes this.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Neil Sedaka did two versions of " Breaking Up is Hard to Do " , slow and fast versions ( may not be new , but it was at the time )

drmilktruck likes this.
  7. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Clapton did two versions of "After Midnight" and "Cocaine", thanks to working with JJ Cale.

8. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    And don't forget Layla, that was hugely different. I prefer the originals of all these.
    But IMO he does get credit for totally transforming these songs, not just a simple remake.

thunder58, GlenP, pilgrim and 2 others like this.
  9. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Gretschie

Apr 28, 2019
    Metro Detroit
    @drmilktruck - Sting hated Zenyatta Mondatta, particularly how it was recorded. That's part of why he rerecorded it. He actually wanted to completely redo all of their greatest hits, but that idea got shot down.

Styx rerecorded Lady as part of their Greatest Hits in 1995 because they couldn't make an arrangement with their old record label (Wooden Nickel). Their '95 version is a bit tighter but not radically different from the original.

10. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    What did we do to deserve that?

Sabato, thunder58 and pilgrim like this.
  11. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Clapton also did a remake of Buddy Holly's "Well, Alright", along with Steve Winwood. Then, Carlos Santana remade that and knocked it out of the park.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Stevie Nicks has remade "Sorcerer" more than once.

12. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    maybe not a re-release, but an acapella version of another track on the same 90125 album

13. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Bon Jovi did an entire album of re-recorded songs in 2003 titled This Left Feels Right.

Springsteen re-recorded The Ghost Of Tom Joad for the High Hopes album with Tom Morello on guitar.

14. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I remember Alice Cooper's 'Reflected' ended up being reworked as 'Elected'.

15. Freshy

Freshy Synchromatic

Sep 30, 2017
    Homosassa FLA
    Same music with completely different lyrics.
    Im a big fan of this era of Weller tunes that are built around jazz chops.

With Everything To Lose
    A protest song about how business and politics runs roughshod over the poor and weak.

Have You Ever Had It Blue?
    A Weller white boy blues tune that is on the movie soundtrack of Absolute Beginners.

J Bird likes this.
  16. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Tina Turner's take on "Proud Mary". For years, John Fogerty wouldn't play old CR tunes. A friend told him that people thought that Tina wrote the song as it was a huge hit for her. John finally realized how many CCR fans there were and started covering himself. He won a lawsuit when his old record company sued him for literally sounding like himself.

How many versions of "Greensleeves" are there? How many takes on
    House of the Rising Sun"? "Louie, Louie"?

Tom Petty covered a few Byrd's tunes like "Feel A Whole Lot Better".

How many songs use Warren Zevon's riff from "Werewolves of London"?

The Beatles covered a few as well---"Twist and Shout", "Mr. Postman", and even "My Bonnie Lies Over The Ocean".

The Stones covered a few as well.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  17. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I think the intent is when an artists re records their own song. This would be a huge thread if it included covers.

lp_bruce and drmilktruck like this.
  18. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Cyndi Lauper did 2 versions of Girls Just Want to Have Fun.

Henry and drmilktruck like this.
  19. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    You are correct.

20. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    The Ventures Walk don't run and Walk don't Run 64. Although different artists, "Move it on over" by Hank and George Thorogood are both great!!

drmilktruck likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.