New to Gretsch

CheeseShredder

Electromatic
Jan 23, 2022
Sweden
Hi guys!

Long time guitarplayer here who just bought a Gretsch G5410. I am mainly a hard rock metal player familiar with Jackson, Kramer, Charvel and other high performance superstrats as well as the usual Les Paul, Strats and Teles but wanted to expand. Thing is, I really don't have much repertoire for this guitar.

I like the tone of the Gretsch slightly dirty with amp reverb cranked and find the guitar suited for most things I'd usually have a plugged in acoustic for, but I would really like some ideas for songs to play.

Not a jazz player and while I like Brian Setzer I'm not set to become a rockabilly player. What would you recommend for someone who comes from Van Halen-territory?

I'm not looking to play metal on this, got that covered.

capnhiho

Country Gent
Feb 16, 2013
California
Welcome CheeseShredder!
While I can’t answer your question directly, I LOVE the broad spectrum of guitar players this community attracts!! And I can’t wait to hear the comments of others…

section2

Country Gent
Dec 21, 2016
Toronto
Welcome! Let's see some pics of your new guitar.

As for what to play: Gretsches aren't just for rockabilly! They're surprisingly versatile, and those Filtertrons sound great with a bit of dirt on them. Would some AC/DC, Neil Young, or the Cult be up your alley?

Waxhead

Friend of Fred
Aug 30, 2014
Australia
Hi guys!

Long time guitarplayer here who just bought a Gretsch G5410. I am mainly a hard rock metal player familiar with Jackson, Kramer, Charvel and other high performance superstrats as well as the usual Les Paul, Strats and Teles but wanted to expand. Thing is, I really don't have much repertoire for this guitar.

I like the tone of the Gretsch slightly dirty with amp reverb cranked and find the guitar suited for most things I'd usually have a plugged in acoustic for, but I would really like some ideas for songs to play.

Not a jazz player and while I like Brian Setzer I'm not set to become a rockabilly player. What would you recommend for someone who comes from Van Halen-territory?

I'm not looking to play metal on this, got that covered.

Ok so your Rat Rod with Blacktop Filtertrons is very similar to my G5422.
These are versatile for pretty much anything in the pop, funk, folky, blues, rock, rockabilly area. I rarely play any rockabilly.

On mine I play various songs from Neil Young, Mark Knopfler, Dire Straits, Steely Dan, Doobie Bros, Tom Petty, Beatles, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Paul Kelly, Crowded House, America, Steve Miller, The Cars, Eagles, Joe Walsh, Radiohead, Chris Isaac, Van Morrison, The Who, Rolling Stones, Springsteen, Setzer, The Pretenders. Anything from clean thru mid overdrive to light distortion.

That's enough to get you started :D

Last edited:

CheeseShredder

Electromatic
Jan 23, 2022
Sweden
Thanks! I will make a NGD-thread with pics soon. It's a Tri Five, not a Rat Rod by the way. Came setup well but I have some buzz coming from the bridge saddles on certain notes. Should be fixable or I might get a new bridge.

Some great suggestions. Will have to make a Spotify playlist to get into the mood.

Welcome CheeseShredder!
While I can’t answer your question directly, I LOVE the broad spectrum of guitar players this community attracts!! And I can’t wait to hear the comments of others…

I think the looks of Gretsch Guitars are what drove me to to get one. Extremely classy but also rock n roll at the same time. Might be recent, but I feel Gretsch has managed to break out of the box a bit. It doesn't feel niche to own one, the way some other guitars have got stuck. Which I actually think is an achievement by the brand - hollowbodies are very quirky.

Waxhead

Friend of Fred
Aug 30, 2014
Australia
Thanks! I will make a NGD-thread with pics soon. It's a Tri Five, not a Rat Rod by the way. Came setup well but I have some buzz coming from the bridge saddles on certain notes. Should be fixable or I might get a new bridge.

Some great suggestions. Will have to make a Spotify playlist to get into the mood.

I think the looks of Gretsch Guitars are what drove me to to get one. Extremely classy but also rock n roll at the same time. Might be recent, but I feel Gretsch has managed to break out of the box a bit. It doesn't feel niche to own one, the way some other guitars have got stuck. Which I actually think is an achievement by the brand - hollowbodies are very quirky.

Gretsch are super versatile imo.

A Jet with filtertrons is THE most versatile guitar made imo and the hollowbodies are also very versatile. Here's 5 recordings I've done featuring the G5422 :)

https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=13900524

https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=14170533

https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=14095570

https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=14117469

https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=11711200