New to Gretsch...which one?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by George Homme, Nov 23, 2021.

1. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    I have that model Falcon. Its a wonderful instrument. If you are that tall and you're comfortable on your Martin dred the size probably wont be an issue. Sound wise its unsurpassed IMO. Lots of rich bass in the fundamental tone, full mids, nice top end. Just a fuller and richer sound overall than any 6120 I've played. TV Classics and the traditional wiring setup with the mud switch is very versatile and can get you any sound from warm jazz to a great Gretsch twang.
    But still, it's a big ol boy, and pretty heavy. Not a boat anchor, but still a good bit heavier than your Martin. And you may not want to deal with the potential feedback issues if you're gonna use a lot of gain and play loud. If you like Les Pauls and Teles, a nice Pro Line Jet or Penguin is kinda like the best of both worlds.
    Something to think about is all.

section2 likes this.
  2. O Riley

O Riley Synchromatic

The Falcon, if I was to have only one Gretsch.
    I have two Les Paul's and a Martin D/28. No issues with size difference's.
    When ever I do show up with the Gretsch, I'm really happy with all the compliments.
    I simply love how it sounds, plays, and of course the look?...it's a "Gretsch White Falcon"..!!.
    .:cool:

Although, the Brian Setzer 6120 is also one heck of a guitar.
    Which I'd love to own as well.
    Happy Hunting.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    Sabato likes this.
  3. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    All I can say is that I love my 16' bodies so for me I would go the 6120 if the neck is like my SSL then it is a really nice soft V and very comfortable, never have played a Falcon but being a smaller frame guy the size of them is a bit off putting for me so they have never really been on my desire list, the penguins are more for me.

new6659 and Sabato like this.
  4. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Welcome aboard! Best of luck on your choices.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.