New to Gretsch...which one?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by George Homme, Nov 23, 2021.

1. George Homme

George Homme Newbie

Nov 23, 2021
    Greece
    Hello all

I am about to buy a new gretsch at last. Never had one in the past. I iused to play Les paul and Telecasters.

Now for 2 years i play only my martin D28 and due to covid lockdowns etc i have sold all my electrics so i am in a state which i will buy a new Guitar which going to be my main instrument. I am keeping my Martin D28 as my main and only acoustic and i need an electric whuch i have decided to be a Gretsch.

I am torn between the 6120T-BSSMK and the 6136T-59VS. Unfortunately i will have to order it from the internet as there is no Guitar store near me that carries those models so i can try.

I am into alt-Country / Rock / Ambient stuff plus neil Young Style playing from time to time.

Which mode should i get. I like both those models visually except that sometimes i find the Falcon a little too much(Especially the gold binding) . Sonically i don t have any idea except youtube videos that sometimes is hard to judge.

Sonically how the 6136T-59vs competes with the 6120 Setzer?

Keep in mind that this is going to be my main instrument for years before i will get a second (if i ever )

P.S. Something else i have to ask is that i have found a white Falcon 6136T-59VS which the shop says that it weights 3.75kgs (8.26 LBS) ...is that considered heavy for a white falcon?

2. Jeremiah_S

Jeremiah_S Electromatic

Oct 19, 2018
    New England
    I'm a little biased but between those I'd say the White Falcon. The Setzer models with the two knobs, I've never played one. I only have a G5420T to compare my Falcons to, but they've all got the tone pot layout. I'm partial to the Falcons but it isn't really a fair comparison as they're the newest and I tend to just take out whatever's newest in my collection.

The ONE thing I might say is try to buy used to save yourself some cash on your first Gretsch. If you turn out to be a true believer, then by all means, buy new.

Archtops and mrfixitmi like this.
  3. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Synchromatic

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    They’re both magnificent. I lean towards the falcons myself. I own two falcons now. They’re a little bigger and a little heavier but to me they are more comfortable to play. I’ve had 3 6120 models in the past and they were superb instruments but when choosing between those and the falcons I’d always choose the falcons to play.

4. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    If you're accustomed to playing Telecaster and Les Paul guitars... have you ever played a 17" wide, deep-bodied archtop (Falcon)? It's a very different ergonomic experience.

5. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Since this is a serious investment into something you never laid your hands on I would strongly suggest to try before you buy. As @Wayne Gretschzky said: It`s a very different ergonomic experience compared to the usual solidbodies.
    If I had the money I would buy the Falcon, though.

Archtops, mrfixitmi and epimetheus81 like this.
  6. George Homme

George Homme Newbie

Nov 23, 2021
    Greece
    Unfortunately there are no used or new instruments around me to try or buy. I have played 17 inch instruments before. I am 6'2 tall so size not an issue I suppose.

In terms of sound..why the white falcon?

7. Jeremiah_S

Jeremiah_S Electromatic

Oct 19, 2018
    New England
    I don't have a reason for you, sonically. My preference is purely aesthetic. I have read other forum members have the exact opposite reaction and find the White Falcon garrish and the headstock downright goofy. Hell, I'd have said the same thing about the Falcon being too flashy until I caught the bug.

8. mister rain

mister rain Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    new orleans
    lord knows i prefer falcons, but my 5427 (same dimensions as most 6120s) is a blast to play as well

9. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Welcome!

They're both outstanding guitars, but there are some differences in feel.

The Falcon is wider and deeper than the 6120T-BSSMK (17" vs 16" wide at the lower bout, and 2.75" vs 2.5" deep).

The Falcon also has a 25.5" scale length, while the 6120 is 24.6".

The Falcon has a 12" fretboard radius, and the 6120T-BSSMK has a compound 9.5" - 12" radius.

The Falcon has a standard U neck, and this 6120 has a vintage V.

It's tough to say which one you'll bond with if you won't have a chance to play them in person first, but either way, you'll be getting a top-notch instrument.

10. George Homme

George Homme Newbie

Nov 23, 2021
    Greece

Yeap..I know the spec differences...which is going to be more versatile from the two?

Also for Alt-Country which more suitable...

Sometimes I use to tune half step down...in theory the falcon will handle this better...

Also...which is the fattest neck? falcon?

11. jvin248

jvin248 Electromatic

May 16, 2017
    Near Detroit

An orange one!

Get one of the Harley Benton models that is close to the Gretsches you are considering.
    That way you can get one for low cost, try out the ergonomics to make sure you get along, and have a nice playing guitar anyway.

This guy has some good advice for how he pursued similar tones that you may be after. Be sure to watch passed his guitar swap and his discussion of using a studio outfitted with original 50s recording equipment.

12. Glaw

Glaw Gretschie

Aug 30, 2017
    ca.
    228D783C-02D8-46D9-8B40-B22FF411B990.png
    Hope I got that right.
    I find my 6120 easier to play and it seems more versatile to me. I love my Falcon and it puts out great sound not to mention it looks like it should be in a museum it’s so good looking. Is there a price difference? Same price I’d probably go for the Falcon but I could get the 6120 later and for less where I live.

13. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to GT, GH!

I have both ,but the 6120 has always been my fav Gretsch.

14. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    It is a more Fenderish-skale and it looks incredile.

15. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
  16. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Setzer Smoke with the Ray Butts pickups - my favorite guitar.

17. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Honestly, both are excellent choices. You say that you have been playing a D28 (nice choice BTW), acoustic, the lower bout is a little over 15.6" wide. That step up to wider bout may not seem to much of an increase. I know 17" wide does not seem much wider than a D28, but may attaching portions of a pizza box to the back of the D28 will give you some idea. I would hate to have you spend that kind of money to find out that the hollow body is painful on the ribs. As others have said, this can be a different animal.
    If you find you are at your limit, You may want to consider the 6128 or 6129 series known as the Duo Jet. They are very versatile, and have that great Gretsch sound.

section2 likes this.
  18. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Welcome to the group!
    As you're used to a Martin d-18, it's not like you're unused to a large bodied guitar. A Falcon is too sparkly for my tastes as well. Try to find and play as many Gretsches as you can, at least listen to as many as possible. Aside from the trim, it's the pickups and body style (full hollow, center block, or braced) that will make the real difference to you.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  19. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, George!
    greek welcome mat.jpg

mrfixitmi likes this.
  20. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Welcome friend :)

mrfixitmi likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.