New to Electrics

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by Paul Kemper, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Paul Kemper

Paul Kemper Newbie

Feb 14, 2021
    Sonora, CA
    Good morning to all. My Name is Paul and I am an absolutely new electric guitar player. I recently bought a new Gretsch G2655 Streamliner and I'm loving it.

I've been playing acoustics for over 20 years and was concerned about transitioning to an electric. I always liked the appearance and great reputation of Gretsch guitars so I contacted my Sweetwater Music sales engineer. After a little discussion I decided on the G2655 and had Sweetwater set up the guitar with 11 gauge strings to help facilitate the transition to electric. It was perfect, wonderful small size for this old man and plays smooth as butter.

This forum sure is great, both for info and accommodating members. I'll be visiting often.

Paul

speedicut, rebuhrman, Jena and 5 others like this.
  2. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to GT Paul!

And congrats on the new geet.

3. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Paul!
    welcome mat 121.jpg

4. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Howdy! Welcome to the madhouse!
    You've made a great choice in a first electric. Now you get to pick an amp as well. For home use, you'll likely want to stay under 20 watts. There's no need for any more than that. You can even gig with that small of an amp. Try as many amps as you can--both -solid state and tube. Many of us like tubes, but solid state usually allows earphone use, so for quiet practice they have an advantage. Hold off on getting pedals. Most amps will have a reverb (a must for me) and tremolo. Many solid state amps will have other built in effects so you can see which you like before you invest in pedals.

Transitioning to electrics will be a learning curve, tho not a difficult one. You already know how to play. You'll just pick up new techniques for picking and strumming. Above all, have fun!

5. can't go wtong with a Stteamliner as new entry point into the Fred and family guitars, imho

6. L Robbins

L Robbins Gretschie

May 3, 2017
    USA
    Welcome, Paul. This is the place!

7. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    An old guy with both electric and acoustic guitars, far more of us here than you might think resemble that remark...:D

Welcome

Oh ya, pictures or it didn’t happen..:p

Last comment, I love your town.

8. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Welcome, Paul and congratulations on your new guitar!

9. bhatta

bhatta Gretschie

Jun 29, 2020
    Bangalore
    Welcome to G-T Paul and congrats on the new guitar.

As a Streamliner owner myself, can say they are really good for the price!

Enjoy and we love pictures of guitars here...:D

10. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Welcome to Gretschville Paul, enjoy your new guitar.

11. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Welcome friend , glad ya made it

12. BrianW

BrianW Country Gent

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    Welcome sir to the forum and the world of electric Gretsch. Be forewarned, Gretsch instruments can be habit forming, at least for some of us :rolleyes:

Enjoy the transition!

13. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Gretschie

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin, US
    Welcome! Indeed, this is a friendly and helpful place. I've learned a lot here. Like many, I've played acoustic for years and then added in electric a few years back. One of the most helpful pointers that I learned from a friend is that amps are instruments in and of themselves. Go easy and ind what works for you.

I agree with @wabashslim:
    Transitioning to electrics will be a learning curve, tho not a difficult one. You already know how to play. You'll just pick up new techniques for picking and strumming. Above all, have fun!

14. Hey Paul ... welcome to G-T forums.

New to electrics, and so ... new to metal strings, whether Streamliner or anything ...
    definite difference in fretting metal strings.

For the transition, they do actually make silicone rubber finger covering things for stringed instruments - could be kinda bulky and worthless really, but you can get 50 for 8 bucks on ebay so some guitar shops can have them in different sizes.
    - only four total for use on fretting hand max, and get a smaller size for the pinky and maybe a slightly bigger for the proverbial middle finger - they have to fit really REALLY tight. Maybe only one for a finger that starts "bleeding" until calloused ...
    - or - athletic tape on the fingertips were better for me.
    Obviously, NOT a requirement by any means ...

"Practice, practice, practice ...
    ... if it makes you feel good, don't stop until you see the blood from your fingers ..."
    - Ted Nugent

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  15. rebuhrman

rebuhrman Electromatic

Feb 15, 2021
    Maryland, USA
    Welcome to the electrified world Paul! Good move stringing it up with .11s. Would love to see pics of that Streamliner when you can.

16. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Hello Paul, welcome to G-T. Nice to have you join us.
    Shouldn't take long on learning to play an electric. Have fun in the process.
    Congrats on the Gretsch, post pictures when you can.

17. Gregor

Gregor Synchromatic

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Hey Paul. Welcome aboard. You'll love it here. I was like you and only played acoustic until about 2 years ago. As you've already seen, it's much easier to fret the electric and the only advice I might have is try to use a lighter touch although that's not easy to do coming from an acoustic background. Just work with applying the lightest pressure to the string that gives a clean sound. You'll see a big difference and won't fatigue your fretting hand nearly as much.
    Cheers

18. Paul Kemper

Paul Kemper Newbie

Feb 14, 2021
    Sonora, CA
    Here is a pic of the guitar after minor mods, just Garrow knobs and pickguard removed. The amp is a Vox VT30 leftover from my lap steel guitar days.

Paul

20210225_141924 (2).jpg

new6659, GlenP and Gregor like this.
  19. rebuhrman

rebuhrman Electromatic

Feb 15, 2021
    Maryland, USA
    That’s a sweet setup. Love that Blue.

20. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    I think that is a great guitar for beginners and experienced players alike. If it fits you well now, then you will probably not outgrow it. Pretty decent amp for it as well. Enjoy!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.