New TC Effects Pedal Board

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Gretschtim1, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Or just put a tuner in the built in effects loop.

ruger9 and blueruins like this.
  2. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    Sure, that would work but why use another pedal + cable(s) when you can have it built in? The whole idea of the Plethora is to cram all those options into one neat user-friendly package - and I will still need to add an expression pedal and OD pedal as it is. I have had several floor multi effect boards over the years most with built in tuner. In every case the tuner could be called up via a dedicated footswitch leaving the user in the bank and slot he was in when he called up the tuner, simple and user friendly... make sense?!

3. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    While I'm finally in the process of ordering a Schmidt Array board and a GigRug G2 switcher, and have all my pedals picked out, I like the idea of individual stomp boxes. That said, this device could be the center-piece of a small flyrig. Like others have said, place a couple of your favorite drive boxes in the loop and you've got a sweet little board for gigs that don't require a bigger board.

Methinks I might need to check this bugger out and see how it sounds and operates. If it can change to one of its 75 pedalboards via a simple MIDI command, that's also aa huge convenience.

ruger9 likes this.
  4. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    wow... those things are uber cool! Congrats!

5. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    A Gigrug? How many pedals do you have exactly? :p

GlenP and Crooner like this.
  6. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Indeed it does.

My point is that no device does it all. If you put a tuner on the board, there has to be a slot to display its output. It is an option.

Henry likes this.
  7. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    They sure are! It's like if NASA designed a pedalboard, it would be a Schmidt. Expensive? Oh yeah, but you get what you pay for with these suckers.

Yep. The GigRig wasn't enough for me. I need a whole GigRUG so I can house every fargen pedal I own. Who says 15 gain stages is too much?!? :cool::D

ruger9 and Ricochet like this.
  8. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    A firmware update is not gonna include another footswitch, so it will require one of the existing 5 or some fancy button pushing.

9. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Lol. Can you stack them like the boss me8?

10. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    I understand that but my point is that it would be a relatively simple s/w modification to display the tuner (since you do not need to read the effects displays while tuning) provided you have an option to call it up during a song without having to leave the bank and slot you happen to be in, it's just a quetion of how you call it up. My solution would be a double click on an assigned switch however there are people at TC far, far cleverer than me and I will be interested to see what solution they come up with.

11. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    I didn't say it would include another footswitch, my comment was intended to demonstrate that having a tuner that can be called up at any time regardless of which bank and slot you happen to be in is nothing new and clearly it's no problem to incorporate a tuner without the necessity to occupy a slot with it or worse still, use up one of the available effects locations.
    The issue of firmware update originated at TC I believe and button pushing might be quite simple eg. hold footswitch 1 pressed until tuner appears, tune. Press switch 1 briefly a second time returns you to play mode. Simple.
    Let's see what the clever people at TC come up with!

12. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    That makes sense. The notion of a tuning function taking up an fx slot seems a bit far fetched if not ludicrous to me.

Roger49 likes this.
  13. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Here's another recent video on Plethora answering many questions about operation and future updates.
    The tuner is now in it and doesn't take up a pedal slot.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Roger49 likes this.
  14. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    Somehow missed Waxhead's post back in March and have just watched a demo of the updated unit.
    Exactly as I thought.
    Simple integration of a tuner with no need for an extra button.
    This is now a board I really want but will have to wait until it's available later this month ... and until there's enough dosh in the bank cos it's gonna cost € 465. It's exactly the kind of board I'd have loved when I was actively gigging and for my purposes I would just need to add an expression pedal for control of volume - one is available as an optional extra although my Lehle would do the job just fine.

Waxhead likes this.
  15. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    The virus put a damper on many musicians buying gear at this point.
    My whole Spring & Summer fair and concert series has been cancelled so no rush to buy anything. At this point food and bills are more important...:D.

16. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Fortunately, my employment hasn’t been affected in any way. However, our annual fair gig, April 18, was cancelled. No monetary loss, but it was still a disappointment. Our one and only fan was bound to have been there. :)

I’m still interested in this pedal, but at $500 US I’m not certain that I can justify the expense. I use the EarthQuaker Devices Dispatch Master about 75% of the time, unless I am playing surf or an oddity of a song that requires more complex delays.

Still, I see this as a true innovation and the built in effects loop is a brilliant way to allow someone to add a drive pedal of their choice. I predict great things for this product.

Waxhead likes this.
  17. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Here's a new Plethora X5 video from Sweetwater.
    I'm still interested in this baby and will probably buy after TC Electronics add in some more pedals. I would only use to replace individual digital stomps I have in a series loop.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.