New strings on my Gretsch 5122 (and a little "jam" to get them broken in)

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Butch Ammon, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Butch Ammon

Butch Ammon Gretschie

Jan 3, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    @thunder58 asked me to post this on Gretsch Talk, after I had changed strings on my Gretsch 5122 with some new Ernie Ball 11-48 strings. I am playing through my Boss Katana Artist 100 watt amp in the video (set on 50 watts and turned down a bit).
    Wishing You Were Here -- Chicago (w/ The Beach Boys on backing harmony).
    Working Man -- Rush. (I stomped on the "lead channel" GA-FC footswitch pedal, and did an abbreviated version of the classic 70's Rush tune).

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Video not available brother Butch

3. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    That's better . Good stuff bro

Butch Ammon likes this.
  4. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Fun stuff, rock on!

Butch Ammon likes this.
  5. Butch Ammon

Butch Ammon Gretschie

Jan 3, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    Thank you all.... It just seems that a Gretsch sounds best with 11's for some reason. I don't know why, as it's a double-cut 5122 and not a full size (thicker body) 5120 single-cut.

Also, if you could see my Boss/Roland GA-FC footswitch pedal on the floor, it's pretty wild how I have it all setup:
    [​IMG]

CH 1) Clean amp setting, with slapback echo/delay.
    CH 2) Clean amp setting, with a lush chorus.
    CH 3 ) Crunch amp setting (i.e. Boss's version of Overdrive), with a hint of delay.
    CH 4) Lead amp setting (i.e. Boss's version of Distortion), with a hint of delay.
    PANEL) Just what it says... It's the "panel" on the front of the Boss Katana Artist. I have it set on "Brown" for a vicious lead guitar amp setting (aka - Eddie Van Halen's signature guitar tone), with a more pronounced delay.

**PRESS AND HOLD "PANEL" FOR A SECOND OR TWO**
    (you are now on Channel B -- i.e. 4 more amp settings)

CH 1B) Clean amp setting, with phaser (i.e. Pink Floyd "Breathe", "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", etc...
    CH 2B) Lead amp setting, with flanger (i.e. Van Halen "Ain't Talking 'bout Love", Heart "Barracuda", etc...
    CH 3B) Clean amp setting, with compressor. Excellent for subtle fingerpicking clean tones.
    CH 4B) Lead amp setting, with massive delay (i.e. Rush 2112)

BentFX and thunder58 like this.
  6. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Thanks for sharing Butch. Great sounds on the new strings. Nice guitar and amp also.

Butch Ammon likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.