New Strings Feel Slow

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by Craig Encinitas, Oct 9, 2021.

1. Craig Encinitas

Craig Encinitas Electromatic

May 3, 2021
    Encinitas, Ca
    Hello.

When switching from my 612o to the Telecaster last night, I couldn’t believe how fast the strings felt on the Tele. They are whatever Fender puts on the American Pro II series.

What is puzzling me this morning, is how slow the D’addario 10’s are on the Gretsch. I’ve only had the guitar a couple weeks, and the strings went on after I polished the frets and cleaned & oiled the ebony fretboard with Dunlop F-1.

When I slide my fingers up a fret on 5-6 it takes a fair amount of effort to make the strings ring out and sound like it should. Maybe I’m not a D’addario fan, but these are new. The fretboard does not feel sticky, nor do the strings. I always pre-clean them with Fast Fret and wipe down after playing.

Fortunately, I have a decent selection of various string styles and sizes, so I will probably swap them out. I had D’addario’s 9’s on my Strat briefly, and didn’t care for the feeling.

The caveat here is the 6120 has a Tru-Arc compensated surpentune bridge that is made for strings with a wound G. I’m having trouble online finding a different brand of 10’s with a wound G.
    CD74A91F-4ABC-4A74-A384-7AF1F033E6AB.jpeg

The guitar came with a few sets of these.
    CBA90D70-1E1E-4D38-A68F-6ACB13505168.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  2. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Yeah, choices are limited on those wound 3rd sets. I use the EXL110w's above on a regular basis, but what I really like are GHS Boomers. The wound third sets are coded as "DYXL" - 10 to 46 (same as the D'Addarios).

Not easy to find tho. Whenever I come across them I grab as many as I can - usually a dozen sets at least. And it's always an internet buy. Stores never have them.

You might wanna try 'em out. Good luck with it.

Craig Encinitas likes this.
  3. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    To me a 6120 is just a slower guitar than a Telly, its like riding my big Harley tourer compared to a Triumph. I know there are guys that shred on 6120s but i aint one.
    Oh, as for strings, i think the Martin retro's come in a 10 set with a wound G, they sell them as acoustic strings but Monel works fine on electric, output is like pure nickel.

Mellowcat and Craig Encinitas like this.
  4. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    When ever I start to feel myself "dragging" along the strings, I bring out the "Fast Fret", as it both cleans and lubricates that strings. I use wound thirds on a few of my guitars, but I still prefer the solid third when I'm looking for a faster performance.

ZackyDog and Craig Encinitas like this.
  5. The forest on my 6120 hotrod felt like little speed bumps to me. I always felt they were to big, even though i have been told they are not compared to other makes and models. So there are times i can pickup the hotrod and feel the frets as i slide up, but i have also begun to realize that my grip and approach may have effected that feel. So i play it a while and adapt to it. So when i am in the mood to play silly fast runs and licks, i can do it. It depends on my mood at the time. Sometimes I pick up a low end junker guitar and i can fly on it, something’s i pickup high end pro models and my fingers feel like magnets are holding them to the fret board.

6. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    This might help: finger ease.png

Runamok, new6659 and Highroller like this.
  7. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    https://killerguitarrigs.com/what-strings-come-on-a-fender-guitar/

8. Hickeroar

Hickeroar Gretschie

Oct 4, 2020
    Texas
    I've seen the same thing with D’addario strings. It's one of the main reasons I don't use them anymore.

I use Stringjoys Balanced 10s now and they're amazing. I'll never use anything else: https://stringjoy.com/guitarstrings...rings/6-string-light-electric-guitar-strings/ Aside from being slick and great feeling, they last a lot longer than the big name products. I've been told it's because of the purity of the Nickel they use, but I dunno.

9. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Synchromatic

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    I play with a wound third and while I prefer a stiffer action, I also find my Gretsch Country Club to be quite a bit more stiff with the same gauge strings. And while this works for me and I quite like it, it is nice to jump on my T-style Reverend where it feels a bit more "slinky". If you're up to experimenting with different brands of strings, I recommend the following options where you can custom build your set:

Curt Mangan These are my favorites. I use the Pure Nickel Round Core but he also offers a hex core and nickel plated options. I usually buy these when he offers a 15% discount (all the usual holidays, etc.). They come in a 4 pack and they are very stable strings. I get a lot of use out of them and find them to be super consistent after several years of using them on all my guitars -- electric, acoustic, baritone.

Stringjoy These seem to be all the rage and I find them to be fine strings. I prefer the Curt Mangans but these actually have a slinkier feel in the same gauges relative to the Mangan's which means these may be a good option for you. The sell a pure nickel round core as well as hex nickel plated.

Gabriel Tenorio I've only tried these once. They're pretty expensive but everyone swears they last a super long time making them worth the extra money. I don't know if you could customize a set to your spec but he does offer a wound third option. I found these to be quite slinky.

And given that your post mentioned the speed of the feel, it may be that guage isn't the primary factor but the composition of the materials within the strings. If that's the case, it may be a body chemistry thing. I know I've found in the past that some strings seem to corrode faster than others and I'd get stuck sliding through faster passages of my parts. Perhaps trying out some different brands would help?

epimetheus81 and Craig Encinitas like this.
  10. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Topics like this are really helpful for those of us who are relatively new to electric guitars and their esoteric minutia. Good thread.

11. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Synchromatic

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    I brought this up a while back and wondered about the output of the Monel strings. I was worried about the output because of the copper content. Interesting ...

12. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    I crack up every time I see a can of Finger-Ease. I'm amazed you can still buy it! Back in the early 70's, learning to play on a dime-store acoustic with the strings a mile high off the fretboard, I used to slather that stuff all over the neck in massive gobs! LoL!

I can't say it doesn't work, because it does, but I always felt like I was smearing bacon grease all over my guitar! :rolleyes:

Ah, the memories ...

13. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Gretschie

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin, US
    You can order a custom set from Stringjoy that would be a wound third set. Just be sure to be clear which string you want as a wound 3rd. (G). After some misunderstanding and reordering a single string I had a chance to try them. We didn't gel so off they came. However, stings are a personal thing so you may find them to be the best you ever played.

14. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    For years all I would use was Gibson Brite Wires because they felt slick, lasted a long time and were reasonably inexpensive.

For some reason, they became very hard to get locally so I switched over to Ernie Ball Slinkys.

15. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Yeah, those Gibsons were excellent, i just found a stash of '90s sets im still working through. A local store bought out an old hoard.

16. gretsch-to-go

gretsch-to-go Gretschie

Oct 2, 2019
    Palm Coast, FL
    Telecasters have 9-42 sets on a longer scale length 25.5 neck. 10-46 on a 24.6 scale length neck are going to feel beefier & slower. I notice a difference going from a LP with 10's to a Tele or Strat with 9's or even 9.5's on them. And some of it is probably neck profile & fretboard radius too. A 6120 is a 12 inch radius, the Telecaster American Pro II is a 9.5.

17. Craig Encinitas

Craig Encinitas Electromatic

May 3, 2021
    Encinitas, Ca
    *Update*

I thoroughly washed my hands and applied Fast Fret right before playing. Issue solved.

Also, as suspected, 99% player’s fault. Sometimes, I’m so tired while playing, my fingers just won’t do it. o_O

6EDBB00E-E561-4467-BE7E-1F97CCC694FE.jpeg

new6659 and Henry like this.
  18. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Isn't Fast Fret just mineral oil? I don't see how that can be good for strings long term.

ZackyDog and Craig Encinitas like this.
  19. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Someone on another board said that they saw Hendrix in concert, and before he began playing, he/she noticed that he sprayed "something" on the neck of his guitar.

Craig Encinitas and new6659 like this.
  20. Yeah. That was Lemon Pledge.
    Pretty much all that came in a can back then. :D

Aside from Glade & Prince Albert, that is.

D’Addarios came with the guitar.
    They got dissed, based on whatever set were mounted. They also have their NYXL & XT sets. Which set you back a little more to buy.

Addendum:
    heavier gauge 12’s however to get wound 3rd. Never mind.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021 at 12:33 PM
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.