New~Squier~Day

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Skibbers, Nov 22, 2021.

1. Skibbers

Skibbers Electromatic

Feb 21, 2020
    Minneapolis
    I’m an ok bass player but I’ve never played or owned guitars before I bought my G5120 almost two years ago. I’ve recently thought about getting a more comfortable guitar for playing while watching tv. I’ve been back and forth wanting everything under the sun. A skinnier semi hollow was high on my list. A Squire Strat was probably last on list. I’ve been going to used stores and checking things out but nothing appealed to me. On a wim I picked up a Squier Bullet Strat to see how the neck felt. That thing was alive. I couldn’t believe it so I played a few other Strats and similar knockoffs. None of them had that feel. I'm feeling lucky that I found something I like and it was hundreds less than I was willing to pay. I honestly didn’t even plug it in at the shop. I figured if I didn’t like the pickups I could replace them easily.
    As far as the guitar itself. The tuners hold very well, the neck adjusted fine and action is good and getting better as I slowly adjust things. The pickups sound good but aren’t as even as I’d like. I’ve never played a guitar that resonates quite like this one. It makes me want to play all night.

Groutsch, MrWookiee, kdm1218 and 5 others like this.
  2. Skibbers

Skibbers Electromatic

Feb 21, 2020
    Minneapolis
    Some more thoughts on this thing. I’m not thrilled that it’s the lowest rung on an already budget line. I feel that Squiers in general are very good quality but how much time could they put into a hundred dollar guitar? The neck doesn’t have much relief in it currently. I loosened the nut an eighth of a turn yesterday and will go another eighth today. The second fret is high and needs to be filed. The fret sprout is just noticeable.
    I can’t find anything on it that seems cheap. The body is nice, the pots are solid. The tuners are good enough even if the ratio is a bit low and makes them touchy.
    I started playing on an Epiphone EA-250. It literally couldn’t be tuned. I think it might have been an issue with the tremolo design. I switched to bass and played in many bands. Bass players are always in demand. But if I had a starter guitar as good as this I’m sure I would never have switched. Maybe I was lucky since I do love the bass.
    Back to the guitar. I’ve played it as much in a day as I played my Gretsch in the last month.
    Pics coming.

3. Skibbers

Skibbers Electromatic

Feb 21, 2020
    Minneapolis
    I think the Precision needs an aged white pick guard. 401E4CC9-A983-4177-87BF-3BAA1C13CBD3.jpeg

radd, Jeff67, Floo and 8 others like this.
  4. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Congratulations.
    A pretty unusual move to buy an electric to play it unplugged :)

thunder58 likes this.
  5. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Congrats on finding the Strat you like. Good looking colors also. Enjoy that Squier Bullet.
    Nice P Bass also.

6. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Congratulations . A good looking pair you have there

7. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats, I dig it!

8. Skibbers

Skibbers Electromatic

Feb 21, 2020
    Minneapolis

I played it last night for an hour with my Vibro Champ and then for another hour unplugged. It sounds so good unplugged. It makes me think there’s a lot more to be had that the Bullet pickups aren’t delivering.

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  9. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats Skibbers!

10. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Congrats, I'm a Squier guy, two Telly's and a Strat, all required fret leveling and crowning, trussrod/saddle adjust and have upgraded electronics except the Telly i just got on Sunday, it's gonna become a Esquier.
    Here's the new one, 2019 Affinity pine body. All stock for now except setup stuff. 20211120_155855.jpg 20211120_155905.jpg

11. 64ChevSS

64ChevSS Gretschie

Dec 24, 2016
    Innisfil, Ontario
    Congrats Skibbers - that is a cool Strat - enjoy it.

12. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Awesome, congrats!

13. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz

I live with a mob of family so my solid body guitars get a lot of play unplugged or with headphones.

Congrats on a beautiful guitar.

14. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    The ultimate Classis Tele look, beautiful.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.