New Setzer 6120 Models

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by YourBlueRoom, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I don’t know how I missed the MV thing. It looks sort of goofy. Will have to wait and see production wise. I haven’t seen any photos of the booth yet online to see if these are actually at the show.

audept likes this.
  2. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Yes, that MV position looks weird and is different between the Blue and the Magenta. Wonder what's going on there?

Lionpotato likes this.
  3. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    They’re up on the official Gretsch site for more photos. I hope it’s not a production thing.

https://www.gretschguitars.com/features/brian-setzer

4. YourBlueRoom

YourBlueRoom Gretschie

Jan 25, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    Remember Gretsch quality control was notoriously bad in the 50s/60s. If you look at vintage examples the switch and knob placement were often different from guitar to guitar in terms of placement. It looks to me like this model is trying to replicate the 'wonky charm' (as it were) of an original 59/60 6120.

upload_2019-7-19_9-4-32.png

upload_2019-7-19_9-8-37.png
    upload_2019-7-19_9-8-53.png

built2drag1985 and Merc like this.
  5. YourBlueRoom

YourBlueRoom Gretschie

Jan 25, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    Curious... with a compound radius fretboard do you get a 9.5" or 12" bar bridge?!

6. YourBlueRoom

YourBlueRoom Gretschie

Jan 25, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    Better too low than too high! It's really high on this 1960...

upload_2019-7-19_9-18-50.png

I'll be at Namm tomorrow so I'll take some pictures of the Smoke if they have one there.

Merc, T Bone and audept like this.
  7. PDMan

PDMan Electromatic

Dec 26, 2016
    Nashville, TN
    No dice on the Smoke? I'm surprised at that.

8. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    From the Gretsch site;

"Honoring a pivotal rock ‘n’ roll legend, the G6120T-BSSMK Brian Setzer Signature Nashville® Hollow Body '59 “Smoke” with Bigsby® is a recreation of Brian’s main stage guitar since retiring the famed ‘Stray Cat.’ A painstaking homage to one of Brian’s most treasured guitars, Smoke delivers vintage '59 vibe with powerhouse performance.

Period-correct details abound including the '59 headstock shape and logo, pickguard shape, size, and bracket, volume, tone and switch locations and a beautifully rich “Smoke Orange” semi-gloss lacquer finish."

Merc likes this.
  9. diamoroso

diamoroso Gretschie

Feb 4, 2019
    San Diego, CA
    For the best set up you'd probably need it even a bit flatter than 12", following the same flattening ratio down to the bridge. Maybe something like 13", but it can be measured. That's not going to be an option for most bridge styles I'd think, but 12" probably wouldn't feel too off.

Also, I actually really like the Candy Magenta, hopefully I'll be able to get one in a blowout or something since everyone else hates it, haha.

larryb, MKunie and Merc like this.
  10. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Synchromatic

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    The Magenta Hot Rod is the only Setzer model that interests me at all. I'm feeling the same way, hopefully no one else likes it and I can grab one for a song.

11. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Thanks for the vintage info. Aside from basic model knowledge, I’m ill-informed in the vintage detail department.

Please snap a few of the Hot Rods as well if they’re there. Thanks.

12. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Too many words on the new orange BS pickguard, but that is easily fixed.

built2drag1985 and MKunie like this.
  13. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Must be in the finer details like you said. I’d be bothered a little if they carried it over to the Hot Rods as they’re 2019 and not modeled after a ‘59.

14. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    The magenta model is too extreme for me, sorry.

ZackyDog likes this.
  15. MKunie

MKunie Country Gent

Feb 8, 2012
    Vegas,USA
    They are all AMAZING! Every Gretsch is AMAZING TO ME!!!!

Lionpotato and Merc like this.
  16. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
  17. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Ding ding ding... looks like we’ve got a winner as far as the knob location on the Hot Rods.

I like the color pallet.

T Bone and ZackyDog like this.
  18. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    I actually really dig the magenta!

MKunie and Merc like this.
  19. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    I love me a blue guitar... and I have several blue Gretsch examples including the original blue Hot Rod. But that shaded blue just looks cheap (to me). Not sure why it's such a turn-off, but it is.

ZackyDog and Echocat23 like this.
  20. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I can get why you might be turned off by it. It’s good with me as it simply reminds me of a simple custom car fade. Feels like it fits in with Hot Rod.
    82BAD36D-67B0-4FD6-9E14-727B69C7FA2A.jpeg

Setzer really popularized the pin stripe around 2000 using his black HR with the 68 CBS. I would love it if he did a HR more out there for himself on a tour inspired from customs like below with Candy paints. I have no idea if he likes that style but he could rock it easily. The Magenta reminds me of it so maybe he does.

4A105770-1B99-4F54-81F6-D2B08DF5DD89.jpeg

sh4rkbyt3, Lionpotato, MKunie and 3 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.