New RI FENDER Vibro Champ

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by G5422T, Jan 12, 2021 at 9:57 PM.

1. Chmason85

Chmason85 Synchromatic

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    I think this is cool but seems a little pricey. I have the 68 Princeton and I absolutely love it! I can’t see getting this when the Princeton hardly costs more, but it is a cool little amp for sure.

wabash slim and thunder58 like this.
  2. Groutsch

Groutsch Gretschie

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland, US
    My silverface Vibro Champ has an 8" speaker and no reverb. This "reissue" looks like just a lower-wattage Princeton Reverb (without a real spring). It could sound nice, but I wouldn't call it a reissue.

Scott, Chmason85, hcsterg and 2 others like this.
  3. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    My first amp was a mid-60's blackface Vibro Champ. Definitely no reverb. I sold it for something like $30 on my way to getting a bigger amp. Wish I'd kept it, but who knew then what they'd be worth today. I don't understand the current "Champ-mania". Gimme a break, I owned one - they're not that bloody fantastic! But with people paying $800 for 50+year old practice amps, apparently Fender sees a market for this type of thing.

Me, I'd probably get something else if I needed a little workbench/practice amp today. But that's just me. YMMV.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021 at 5:44 AM
    G5422T and thunder58 like this.
  4. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Too loud for a bedroom amp, too quiet for gigging, too many dollars......but I still want one!

Chmason85, hcsterg and pesimax like this.
  5. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I agree with all the above post' . Nice little guy but for the price I think you could get a nice Roland JC-22 or any " Cube " amp and save yourself a few bucks . I also agree with @Highroller , I just don't get the " Champ-mania " either

6. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    "And in addition to vibrato, this combo is packed with a high-quality digital hall reverb for bathing your tone in just the right amount of ambience."

That's all I wanted to know... ;)
    Now let's see if the reverb sounds good. I would have chosen a spring digital reverb algorithm instead... o_O
    If yes, then it's a promising home amp... :cool:

A+!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021 at 5:32 AM
    G5422T likes this.
  7. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    If the quality of the digital reverb is as good as the Tonemasters, it will be very satisfactory. We'll see soon enough.

hcsterg and G5422T like this.
  8. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I love a grab and go amp. They really can make life a bit more fun. Actually, IMO, I think that Fender is into something here. A small amp with reverb, which is to say that you could head off to a jam or a gig with one trip to schlep all your gear into the car. I’ve played at least half of my gigs for the last 3-5 years using a 5 watt Winfield Typhoon, a Catalinbread Topanga reverb pedal and a Tenny, so I could see how an amp this size might really have s9me appeal.

Groutsch and G5422T like this.
  9. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Yep, good thing IMO. Hearing/playing one will tell it all, but I would be surprised if Fender blew the reverb circuit.

They've got the new tech that's getting pretty good reviews around here. Marry that to a little tube cult classic, and it would be a fun amp to play.

Vox seems to have a good following with the AC10C1 in its various offerings. Not a steller reverb, but just a splash that ain't bad. Fun to play.

Another nice offering IMO.

hcsterg likes this.
  10. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Sure @Tony65x55 : It's promising :cool:... It's filling the missing link in the Fender Vintage-y style amp : a 5-Watters with reverb and trem.

A good digital reverb is indeed much better than a poor, small spring reverb put in the amp "for saying it has a reverb" ! At least, it's what I noticed while integrating an EHX Holy Grail Nano in many of my amp builds. ;)

A+!

11. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes. I would also mention the little SUPRO 1605R, even if this one is in the costy range...

[​IMG]

A+!

G5422T and Chmason85 like this.
  12. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Looks cool. I paid around 200.00 less for my SF Twin reverb.....crazy times.

Groutsch likes this.
  13. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    A master volume would make this a perfect small amp. 5 watts can still be ferociously loud for small environments. Cool move though Fender!

G5422T and Chmason85 like this.
  14. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

This amp is a harmonica player’s dream

15. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Too much money for a 5 watt amp.
    Many other options out there for 1/3 the cost. When you are in practice amp territory there are many low cost amps that offer more options - built in effects for example.
    If you are going to spend that kind of money and you want the Fender sound you'd be better off with a Princeton for a few dollars more.

capnhiho and Chmason85 like this.
  16. Mark W

Mark W Country Gent

Jun 6, 2008
    Central Florida

I love 5 - 10 watters. Small and easy to carry are good things. Speaker out connection provides a lot of versatility. Some 5 watters have decent clean output where others dirty up too soon. I had a 5 watt Ampeg GVT5H head and it was LOUD (plenty of clean top end) when I plugged it into a 2x12" pair of Celestions. The bummer was it had no reverb. I like the feature set on this amp but price point would be better in the $500 - 600 range.

capnhiho likes this.
  17. Chmason85

Chmason85 Synchromatic

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    I agree. I’m playing my Princeton right now on 2 with a JHS milkman and it’s a great volume to fill my room but not bother neighbors. I can take it to 5 and get some real gnarly tone and can keep up with a band before it’s dimed out, so it’s very versatile.

18. amp360

amp360 Gretschie

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    Insane. I paid $180 for by BF VibroChamp in 1994. That kind of seemed like a lot.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.