New Rat Rod Day

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by dak55, Aug 30, 2020.

1. RatRod Gentleman

RatRod Gentleman Electromatic

Sep 28, 2020
    Brisbane, Australia
    very cool guitar! Again, you won’t see another one anywhere. Must sound killer with the rat rods sustain, voice and harmonics?

2. Snorre

Snorre Country Gent

Feb 12, 2009
    Walkersville, MD
    Thanks, Tony! I'm a huge Lindy Fralin convert that started with these hum-cancelling dogear P90s. I've got more pics in the Joining the Rat Rod Pack thread (https://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/joining-the-rat-rod-pack.203803/page-2#post-1302163) with before and after decal madness if interested.

Since I put these on, I've got one tele parts-build with Fralin split-rail tele pickups (hum-cancelling), another tele parts-build with a split-rail neck pickup and a hum-cancelling split-pole (P90) bridge pickup. I've also got on order a set of hum-cancelling Mustang split-rail pickups for my incoming Squier Vintage Modified Mustang (fiesta red).

Thanks! here's my Rat Rod Decal Madness video, playing it through my '62 Fender Bassman. Hopefully, I maybe covered sustain, voice, and harmonics? I do recall having fun making some noise. :D

RatRod Gentleman likes this.
  3. Snorre

Snorre Country Gent

Feb 12, 2009
    Walkersville, MD
    Congrats and enjoy! I love mine! :cool:

4. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    I swapped out both stock magnets. 1/4” magnets in both pickups now. I’m amazed how much the sound changed for the better and how much more character all positions now have. The neck sounds so sweet. The middle position is another gem. The bridge is full and clear. Amazing how an extra 1/8” of magnet really smooths things out and improves the tone.
    So I guess I’m now in the ballpark of the original Filter design. I need more time with these pickups through my amps to get better acquainted, but so far those 1/4” magnets were the best money I’ve spent in a while. As good as these sound now I guess the TV Jones Classics would really blow my socks off.

5. RatRod Gentleman

Sep 28, 2020
    Brisbane, Australia
    Congrats on making a great guitar even better. I appreciate the clarity you’ve found and it’s a drug IMO. And have fun tweaking pickup heights and pole screws, that too is an ongoing addiction,

The construction of the HS Filtertron is different (pole screws and base plate at the very least) but when I compared my HS filtertron and a doubled magnet blacktop in the neck the tone was very similar to my ear.

I’m sniffing at a pair of classics too but does one sacrifice warmth of tone going to TVs? Any input from those more experienced (or fortunate enough to have both) welcome?

and would I pull apart a pair of TVs and put home made custom bobbin covers on them too? Probably.

BCRatRod73 likes this.
  6. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Depends on what you define as “warmth”. If “warm” to you is slightly more muffled......then yes. I find TVs in fact to be a bit rounder all ‘round, but they certainly do have more presence and articulation. They ARE a brighter pickup. But they do NOT lose body.

These opinions are my own and worth very, very little. :)

7. RatRod Gentleman

Sep 28, 2020
    Brisbane, Australia
    Seems I’m closer to pulling the trigger on some then...

TSims1 likes this.
  8. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Yeah, I'd rather have the articulation and treble accentuation. You can always use a tone knob to dial back highs if you want, but you can't dial them IN if they aren't there.

That being said, I find HS Filters to be a great sounding pickup. I really like them. Just not quite as complex as TVs.

9. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    you still have that ratrod electro?

TSims1 likes this.
  10. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    i do

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.